T Nation

Christian Bale as John Connor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7411013.stm

I didn’t even know they were making a new set of Terminator films. This is the first I have heard and it’s being released next year.

Terminator 3 was garbage, but this could be something completely different with an adult John Connor. Also, I’ve liked everything I’ve seen Bale in so maybe this has potential.

For the record, I never saw any of the Terminator TV series.

Excellent choice for John Connor.

Choice of director is what scares me. And it is the director, not any actor, who will make or break a film.

There’s a quote floating around somewhere I completely agree with: There are no bad actors, only bad directors.

I wasn’t wild about the new Terminator movies until I heard they had cast Christian Bale. Then I became optimistic that it would at least be decent.

From what I’ve heard, James Cameron has personally recommended some of the actors that will be in the movie and has given his approval for the movie.

The director is McG.

I saw the first TV episode, it wasn’t that bad actually. Kept my attention.

T3 wasn’t horrible, but you can’t expect better than T2.

The guy who played John Conner in T3 was a ridiculous choice. Whoever wrote the character for that movie needs to be fired. For the leader of what is left of mankind, they sure made him come across as weak as possible…which makes no sense considering who his mother was supposed to be.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I saw the first TV episode, it wasn’t that bad actually. Kept my attention.

T3 wasn’t horrible, but you can’t expect better than T2.

[/quote]

T3 WAS horrible. The plot sucked and erased the whole “Fate is what we make” message in T2. Conner was a weakling and his girl was more of a leader (and better at using a gun) than he was.

But the cyborg girl in T3 was hot.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

There’s a quote floating around somewhere I completely agree with: There are no bad actors, only bad directors.[/quote]

I would argue the converse must hold true also.

I have been extremely excited for T4 (Bale is awesome, and the plot is something very different from the previous 3), until… I heard a couple weeks ago they’re aiming to keep it at a PG-13 rating.

It’s a fucking movie about killing people, this particular one about a futuristic WAR. PG-13?? Right, good choice there, assholes.

McG made Charlie’s Angle’s 2. Ewww

Too bad Cameron isnt doing it. He was instrumental in the first 2 films as evidenced by that piece of shit, T3.

Honestly, I hope Arnold isnt in the new films. Maybe as a human or something where they can show some sort of (BRIEF) back story as to why the Terminators all look like him, but not for a cheap cameo or anything. Nothing like Stan Lee in all the marvel movies.

It would be nice for them to start over and pretend like T3 didnt happen. Kinda like the new Batman series.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
McG made Charlie’s Angle’s 2. Ewww

Too bad Cameron isnt doing it. He was instrumental in the first 2 films as evidenced by that piece of shit, T3.

Honestly, I hope Arnold isnt in the new films. Maybe as a human or something where they can show some sort of (BRIEF) back story as to why the Terminators all look like him, but not for a cheap cameo or anything. Nothing like Stan Lee in all the marvel movies.

It would be nice for them to start over and pretend like T3 didnt happen. Kinda like the new Batman series.

[/quote]

I’m not wild about McG either.

However, despite the awfulness of T3, did you see the Sgt. Candy deleted scene? I think that should have been put back in the film. I thought it was the one highlight of T3 and it wasn’t even in the movie.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
McG made Charlie’s Angle’s 2. Ewww

Too bad Cameron isnt doing it. He was instrumental in the first 2 films as evidenced by that piece of shit, T3.

Honestly, I hope Arnold isnt in the new films. Maybe as a human or something where they can show some sort of (BRIEF) back story as to why the Terminators all look like him, but not for a cheap cameo or anything. Nothing like Stan Lee in all the marvel movies.

It would be nice for them to start over and pretend like T3 didnt happen. Kinda like the new Batman series.

I’m not wild about McG either.

However, despite the awfulness of T3, did you see the Sgt. Candy deleted scene? I think that should have been put back in the film. I thought it was the one highlight of T3 and it wasn’t even in the movie.[/quote]

No, I didnt. It’s not on my copy of T3. Do you have a special edition?

What’s the scene about?

PG-13 is a NO GO, Mr!!

I am worried about McG, because I doubt his sincerity to cast hard assed actors/actresses for the roles. I’m thinking he’ll cast the “who’s hott” at the moment rather than cast the unnamed waiter who may be a breakout star due to his supporting role alongside Bale. Could be good, as long as they don’t go too ridiculous with the CGI like they did in T3.

On a side note *T2 STILL looks great compared to the buckets of CGI shit like Transformers and Speed Racer people are lining up to see, and that’s testament to Cameron’s legacy.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
McG made Charlie’s Angle’s 2. Ewww

Too bad Cameron isnt doing it. He was instrumental in the first 2 films as evidenced by that piece of shit, T3.

Honestly, I hope Arnold isnt in the new films. Maybe as a human or something where they can show some sort of (BRIEF) back story as to why the Terminators all look like him, but not for a cheap cameo or anything. Nothing like Stan Lee in all the marvel movies.

It would be nice for them to start over and pretend like T3 didnt happen. Kinda like the new Batman series.

I’m not wild about McG either.

However, despite the awfulness of T3, did you see the Sgt. Candy deleted scene? I think that should have been put back in the film. I thought it was the one highlight of T3 and it wasn’t even in the movie.

No, I didnt. It’s not on my copy of T3. Do you have a special edition?

What’s the scene about?[/quote]

Pretty sure it was part of the standard DVD release. It a scene featuring Arnold as Sgt. Candy and how he was essentially chosen as the template for the Terminator. There was also some funny voice dubbing in the scene.

Oh, I found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4C-DZkIZjk

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
McG made Charlie’s Angle’s 2. Ewww

Too bad Cameron isnt doing it. He was instrumental in the first 2 films as evidenced by that piece of shit, T3.

Honestly, I hope Arnold isnt in the new films. Maybe as a human or something where they can show some sort of (BRIEF) back story as to why the Terminators all look like him, but not for a cheap cameo or anything. Nothing like Stan Lee in all the marvel movies.

It would be nice for them to start over and pretend like T3 didnt happen. Kinda like the new Batman series.

I’m not wild about McG either.

However, despite the awfulness of T3, did you see the Sgt. Candy deleted scene? I think that should have been put back in the film. I thought it was the one highlight of T3 and it wasn’t even in the movie.

No, I didnt. It’s not on my copy of T3. Do you have a special edition?

What’s the scene about?

Pretty sure it was part of the standard DVD release. It a scene featuring Arnold as Sgt. Candy and how he was essentially chosen as the template for the Terminator. There was also some funny voice dubbing in the scene.

Oh, I found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4C-DZkIZjk[/quote]

Cool.

You da man Vader!

Who the hell is going to be the Terminator? I can’t imagine Ahnold is up to it, and honestly, he was pretty bad in T3 anyway.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Who the hell is going to be the Terminator? I can’t imagine Ahnold is up to it, and honestly, he was pretty bad in T3 anyway.[/quote]

The only rumor I’ve heard so far has been Josh Brolin for a terminator. I think that’s a bad choice.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Who the hell is going to be the Terminator? I can’t imagine Ahnold is up to it, and honestly, he was pretty bad in T3 anyway.

The only rumor I’ve heard so far has been Josh Brolin for a terminator. I think that’s a bad choice.[/quote]

The guy that’s going to be George Bush in Oliver Stone’s new movie? LOL

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Who the hell is going to be the Terminator? I can’t imagine Ahnold is up to it, and honestly, he was pretty bad in T3 anyway.

The only rumor I’ve heard so far has been Josh Brolin for a terminator. I think that’s a bad choice.[/quote]

Agreed. While I think he is a good actor, he’s never been known for his physical presence. The role of the terminator should call for a domaneering/commanding presence. Not someone who can just mingle with the crowd.

Common would be a better choice than Brolin. But, we’ll see…

Will they need to have a person be the terminator? In T1 reese says that at first the disguised terminators had latex skin that you could spot from a mile away. SO then they could just CG em, or get some guy to wear a lame latex suit to infiltrate, and as for general combat, most of the terminators would be CG robots roaming about maiming and killing, and I imagine in the next movie(depending how long after T3 it takes place) most of the machines would look like those things in T3 with tracks and machine guns, at the base when they were trying to get that chicks dad to stop skynet or whatever they were doing.

Also, if all the infiltration terminators looked like Arnold,
A. He stands out
B. They would catch on quick, could you imagine some guy showing up to your base, “HQ, there is a giant guy with an austrian accent that wants in, what should I do?”
HQ-“throw a magnet at him, see if it sticks”

I liked terminator 1 the best, but I dont think it’s a stretch to say T2 is the best.