T Nation

Christ Would Oppose USA?

“If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers,” Mr Ahmadinejad will say, according to a transcript of the speech.
Related Links

"If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

“If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime.”

“The solution to today’s problems can be found in a return to the call of the divine Prophets. The solution to these crises can be found in following the Prophets – they were sent by the Almighty, for the happiness of humanity.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5394204.ece

Obviously, Americans would be biased to answer this question honestly so what do non-Americans think?

Happy Christmas!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
“If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers,” Mr Ahmadinejad will say, according to a transcript of the speech.
Related Links

"If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

“If Christ was on Earth today undoubtedly he would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime.”

“The solution to today’s problems can be found in a return to the call of the divine Prophets. The solution to these crises can be found in following the Prophets – they were sent by the Almighty, for the happiness of humanity.”

Obviously, Americans would be biased to answer this question honestly so what do non-Americans think?

Happy Christmas![/quote]

Only one question.

Did he oppose Rome as claimed above?

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Only one question.

Did he oppose Rome as claimed above?
[/quote]

Who? Jesus…?

This isn’t a discussion about Ahmadinejad but rather about what he thinks Christ would say about US hegemony.

I am sure we can all agree Jesus would say the same of Rom.

…since Jesus is a fictional character, he wouldn’t say anything. But if we take the story of Jesus at face value, it’s clear that he’d oppose all those who claim to follow his teachings, and then turn around and do the opposite…

I doubt he’d support a lot of the US’s policies. Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Jesus was kind of… well… dumb. If someone’s pointing a gun at your head he wants you to turn the other cheek and die. Please note he was killed by a dictator and didn’t even attempt to fight back.

So… yeah. Jesus would have opposed us… and just about every other nation on Earth besides Switzerland.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
So… yeah. Jesus would have opposed us… and just about every other nation on Earth besides Switzerland.[/quote]

I suppose you think the Swiss Armed Forces are there to make people turn the other cheek.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Jesus would have opposed us…[/quote]

Not me, dude. I am a peace loving hippie.

Somewhat relevant to this thread, courtesy of my favorite British atheist, Pat Condell.

"Now, the real irony here of course is that if Jesus Christ was the American president, what a different world this would be.

"But of course that’s just an impossible dream, because there’s no way Jesus would ever be elected president.

"How many right wing Christians are going to vote for a liberal Jew?

"You’ve got more chance of getting blood out of a Jehovah’s Witness.

"He’s from the Middle East and he looks like a goddamned hippie. The Fox network would crucify him, if he hadn’t already been arrested as a terrorist.

"No, I think right now America is probably just a little too Christian for Jesus.

"But I’m optimistic that this will change, because I love America and everything it stands for.

"…well, everything it originally stood for before it was hijacked by Christian zealots.

"And I know that if everybody on this planet followed the principles of the American constitution this would be a much more civilised world than it is.

"Right now, it’s a world of chaos, choking under the poison cloud of religious dogma.

“Wherever you look, from the Indian subcontinent to the Middle East to Africa to the future Islamic republic of Europe, you know in your heart that if America isn’t going to lead us out of the dark ages, nobody is. And that’s why you won’t find anybody on this planet who is more pro-American than I am.”

Islamist wackjobs and atheists. Yeah, I look to them for a little WWJD.

Edit: And since we’re on the topic of Christ, Merry Christmas to all! Be it Americans, atheists, or even a nutty islamist leader, Merry Christmas to ya!

And especially to nutty American atheist islamist leaders:

Christmas Mubarak!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Somewhat relevant to this thread, courtesy of my favorite British atheist, Pat Condell.

"Now, the real irony here of course is that if Jesus Christ was the American president, what a different world this would be.

"But of course that’s just an impossible dream, because there’s no way Jesus would ever be elected president.

"How many right wing Christians are going to vote for a liberal Jew?

"You’ve got more chance of getting blood out of a Jehovah’s Witness.

"He’s from the Middle East and he looks like a goddamned hippie. The Fox network would crucify him, if he hadn’t already been arrested as a terrorist.

"No, I think right now America is probably just a little too Christian for Jesus.

"But I’m optimistic that this will change, because I love America and everything it stands for.

"…well, everything it originally stood for before it was hijacked by Christian zealots.

"And I know that if everybody on this planet followed the principles of the American constitution this would be a much more civilised world than it is.

"Right now, it’s a world of chaos, choking under the poison cloud of religious dogma.

“Wherever you look, from the Indian subcontinent to the Middle East to Africa to the future Islamic republic of Europe, you know in your heart that if America isn’t going to lead us out of the dark ages, nobody is. And that’s why you won’t find anybody on this planet who is more pro-American than I am.”[/quote]

Yes, that’s the SWPL understanding of Jesus.

Shall we resurrect our religion discussion?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
I doubt he’d support a lot of the US’s policies. Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Jesus was kind of… well… dumb. If someone’s pointing a gun at your head he wants you to turn the other cheek and die. Please note he was killed by a dictator and didn’t even attempt to fight back.

So… yeah. Jesus would have opposed us… and just about every other nation on Earth besides Switzerland.[/quote]

It’s interesting that you can never seem to muster a similar ridicule for the prophet of Islam.

Oh well. Jesus was talking about not returning insults for insults, which is what a slap on the cheek was in the ancient world.

The issue of government authority and your incomprehension of Jesus’ mission is explained in one neat passage:

[quote]13Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.

18Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. 20But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
22"He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." 23When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.[/quote]

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…since Jesus is a fictional character, he wouldn’t say anything. [/quote]

Whether you believe that he is the Son of God is one thing entirely, but the man lived and was real.

The Romans had a census and kept records for Christ’s sake…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
ephrem wrote:
…since Jesus is a fictional character, he wouldn’t say anything.

Whether you believe that he is the Son of God is one thing entirely, but the man lived and was real.

The Romans had a census and kept records for Christ’s sake…[/quote]

If you’re interested in the case for the opposite view: http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/surfeit.htm

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
ephrem wrote:
…since Jesus is a fictional character, he wouldn’t say anything.

…reference please [no forgeries]…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

No, they had a census and kept records for taxation’s sake, same as any government (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Seriously, though, if you are implying that you know of the existence of any original Roman census or tax roll documents containing the name of one Iesus Nazarenus (a.k.a. Yehoshua ha-Nozri), born in Bethlehem on or about the 23rd year of the reign of Caesar Augustus, and executed by the governor of Judaea around the 18th year of the reign of Tiberius, I would love to see them, and so would the rest of the world.

Cool, an argument about the historicity of Jesus. I’ll throw in my two cents. There may or may not have been a guy named Jesus that at some point talked about religious things. However, there is no evidence that the Jesus of the new testament lived. Not one single contemporaneous account of him exists. Even the new testament can’t get his birth place or date right. There are at least two conflicting stories for each. It seems too me that Jesus is as real as Mithra, Horus, and Isus were when they were born of virgins, raised from the dead, and proclaimed that some cracker was their body and wine was their blood.

–Wikipedea has a good page on the historicity of Jesus. Even if you don’t trust the wiki it is fun read–

I am sure Christ would oppose Iran as well.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

“Wherever you look, from the Indian subcontinent to the Middle East to Africa to the future Islamic republic of Europe, you know in your heart that if America isn’t going to lead us out of the dark ages, nobody is. And that’s why you won’t find anybody on this planet who is more pro-American than I am.”[/quote]

Yep, what he said.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Related Links

Happy Christmas![/quote]

Show me where Christ opposed any government. He was against the legalism of the Jewish religion, but I don't recall him coming out against any government.  

Why would he do so now?