Chris Shugart: Motivation

[quote]michaelv wrote:
I know your raison d’etre is everyone needs Tough Love and a kick in the ass to prevent them from becoming unmotivated urchins. But it’s not always that simple. It’s not always based on someone lacking a clue or being lazy.

Anyway, MY issues and progress are not the point. I agree that self-appreciation (love might be the wrong word) needs to be based on real things, and if you don’t appreciate yourself, you need to do something with yourself so that you do, not that you need to make stuff up.[/quote]

Then we don’t disagree aside from your perception of my reason for being. I don’t believe tough love is always the answer…just that when it comes to the task of pushing yourself to the limits, as is the case with bodybuilding, powerlifting and sports, playing kiss me/hug me is usually not the way to go.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Then we don’t disagree aside from your perception of my reason for being. I don’t believe tough love is always the answer…just that when it comes to the task of pushing yourself to the limits, as is the case with bodybuilding, powerlifting and sports, playing kiss me/hug me is usually not the way to go.[/quote]

I don’t think I ever questioned your “reason for being”. I merely commented on your never-ending crusade to prevent the world from pussying-out.

I think you have many reasons for being. And, I’m sure, the world would be a less rich place were you to cease being. And I don’t hesitate to say that, in fear that will cause you to become complacent and “be” less.

I don’t agree with you in all cases re: the subject. I don’t agree that positive feedback necessarily must lead to complacency. People can be motivated in other ways.

Myself for example. You can rip me a new one repeatedly (and you have), and I will pretty much ignore it except for the advice I find useful. You can tell me “dude, you look awesome” and I probably won’t believe you. But it won’t change anything, because you are not my motivation. I have a garage full of lifting equipment that didn’t get there by accident. You can tell me “nice job” every once in awhile and I will feel good. That won’t change how much I go out and lift the next day.

I don’t disagree with your cause. I just think that you sometimes state it a little over-zealously. In your line of work, that’s probably fine, as applied to your specific clientele. In fact, they may be the ones who need it most, which is why it works for you. But I don’t think it applies to life as a whole or the population in general.

But this is getting way off track, and this is starting to pick at nits. It appears we agree, in general. I’m happy to leave it at that.

Don’t hate yourself. Don’t berate yourself. You need to genuinely like yourself. If you don’t, you need to figure out why and do something about it. Do something stupid and hate that. Use it to drive yourself harder if that helps. But then fix it and move on. That’s just my take on it, and mine alone.

[quote]boonville410 wrote:
Lasting drive comes from dissatisfaction, from reaching a point where you will not allow yourself to be fat, weak, skinny, depressed, etc. for another moment.
[/quote]

You can call me Marriot : )

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
Well Atreides, how do you plan to be elite? What would Simmons, Tate, Holdsworth, Vogelpohl, Ruggiera, etc. do? Start rehabbing, and do what you can. You say you want to be elite, now show us how bad you want it.[/quote]

LOL I’m not sure he really needs to answer to you or any of the rest of us with his current totals anyway. Or do you expect your post to get in his face and motivate him somehow?