Chris_ottawa's Training Log

How is that a higher injury risk than a conventional deadlift? Almost everyone has their hips high for conventional.

1 Like

Friday, March 23 - Light squat/deadlift day

Squat - transformer bar in back squat position
300x2x5 sets, 45 sec. rest, vertical jump after each set

Deadlift
460x1
I recorded this because the guys at Kabuki Strength wanted to check the front angle to see if anything else is going on. You can see that the camera angle changes the perspective quite a bit, it appears that my hips are not as high as before despite the fact that I’m doing the exact same thing. It also makes me look like I’m bald (and I’m not) but that’s another story. @gaelic, have a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCtzs4xqD4&feature=youtu.be

375x2x3 sets

Paused deadlift
355x4x2 sets

Chest supported row - on an incline bench with a bar, each rep stopping on the floor. Giving my back a break from the barbell rows.
225x6x2 sets

Shrugs
405x14x2 - I wanted to skip this, I probably should have because it really felt like a waste of time. Whatever.

2 Likes

It’s not clear what constitutes a higher risk of injury. It depends on the body composition and genetic resistance of the lifter. Someone has no injuries nor at 350 kg with bad technique and another lifter is injured by bad technique, for example, only at 200 kg.

You know my opinion. In my opinion, your ass is still in high position. But as I said, use what suits you.

P.S. Upload a video from a side view.

BTW, what is your body weight?

About 240, as I have already mentioned. I am going to compete in the 110kg/242lbs class.

2 Likes

#RoadToSHW

No way, I don’t want to get any bigger than this. Eating is already a chore. After the meet I’m going to drop some fat and gain some muscle but I plan to stay the same size. Not only eating and the cost of food is an issue, but you are also more likely to get sleep apnea once you are over 250 and there are also other health risks. Plus it’s hard to find clothes that fit, I wear pants with a waist about 2 inches too big because otherwise they would be skin tight on my quads. My wife bought me a jacket last year and we had to return it because it was so tight it would cut the circulation off in my arms. They don’t make clothes with powerlifters in mind, that’s for sure. Even some t-shirts are a problem, XL fits my shoulders but on some it’s like a square shape and way too loose towards the bottom, I need a bigger belly to wear those.

According to the chart on Sheiko’s site for weight/height I am at my optimal weight, I just need to get a bit leaner.

1 Like

I hope you will not be among the fat lifters… I lost so far 16 kg of body weight (goal is 20 kg). I have to say that it helped me because I don’t sweat so much, my condition improved and I don’t have any problems with the clothes. It’s a good act on the summer heat. I sincerely regret lifters who weigh, for example, much more than 130 kg when are the tropics.

Monday, March 26 - Main bench day

Bench Press - paused
370x1 - this felt much easier than I expected. Bar speed is still a bit slow in the middle but isometrics should fix that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8wDAWAPA5k&feature=youtu.be

Slingshot bench
415x1 with 5 sec. hold before racking - it felt a bit wobbly on the way up but still easy, probably 45lb jumps are not such a good idea.

Isometric/CAT bench
5 sec isometric at about 4-5 inches off the chest followed by CAT bench, around 3 min. between sets.
275x3x4 sets

Dead bench
325x6 singles - 2 min. rest - this was the hardest part of the day by far

Dumbbell flys w/ super mini band
35’sX12x3 sets

Chin ups - neutral grip
BW+25x8x3 sets

1 Like

I have no interest in getting any fatter than I am already. As I said, improving body composition is the main goal after this meet, I want to stay the same size but less fat and more muscle. As far as the clothes situation, here in North America there are a lot of obese people so they make clothes that it the average person of a particular size, ie. big belly, skinny arms, small-ish legs. I was already complaining years ago when I weighed 190.

1 Like

This is de facto an advantage… In Central Europe, is also a problem to buy shoes a little bigger than 45 (11.5). Desperate market. Emigration! LOL

12 is the largest shoe size most stores carry, I wear 11 and I often have trouble getting the shoes I want in my size.

Big midsections, small extremities.

Tuesday, March 27 - Main squat day

Squat w/wraps
510x1 - felt good, not as fast in the middle as I want it to be but dead squats should fix that. Depth could be better. I’m wearing my singlet to make it easier to judge depth as well as getting used to the awkwardness of wearing spandex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJWawuVNC0

Walkout/10 sec. hold - 565

455x2x3 - wraps again - felt really light after the 565 walkout

Sleeves - 400x2x3 sets - 2 min. rest - easy

Dead squat
375x6 singles - 2 min rest - first two felt hard, got easier after that. I need to push the weight up on these, they are relatively much easier than what I’m doing for dead bench. 395 next week.

RDL with band around waist
mini+super mini+345x6x3 sets

I was considering doing some dead bugs but I have no energy or motivation for that at this point, instead I’m doing a couple sets before I start squatting.

On a side note, I finally figured out what I need to do to get my deadlift to a world class level - gain 60-70lbs. and grow a big beard. Look at Shawn Doyle, pretty much the same limb/torso proportions as me and he has pulled 900 in competition (dropped it though):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgwwwznBRrM/?taken-by=shawn.doyle308

2 Likes

Story of my life…until two weeks ago when I discovered jeans from Costco! They are still slightly tighter around my thighs than I would prefer but they have a little bit of stretch in them so they are comfortable as hell. No need to rearrange your downstairs when trying to pick up something off the ground. Plus, they are $15. My closet is going to be well stocked with these before long.

1 Like

I forgot to reply to this.

These days I wear Levi’s, I haven’t had a pair of Levi’s since I was 12 but at least they are plain and normal looking. I never really checked out Costco, I hear they have some good deals but you have to buy a membership and most of their stuff is in bulk, I don’t have space in my house for cases of stuff. How much is a membership these days? You live in Canada, right?

Yep, I’m just a couple hours from you. I don’t have a membership at the moment but will probably be getting one before long. I have just gone in with family or friends who have a membership. They also are a very plain looking jean which is good.

Thursday, March 29 - bench assistance day

Close grip bench
330x3,3 - 330x3 was a PR a few months ago, now I’m doing two sets with it and neither is a max. Could have got 5 on the first set and 4 on the second.

2 board close grip
360x2,2 - this was harder than I expected, haven’t done this in a few months. Could have done triples but it would have been all out. No complaints still.

Military press
235x3,2 - triceps were fatigued after the board presses, but it’s to be expected.

Floor pause tricep extension
135x6x3 sets

Face pulls
super mini band x25x3 sets - enough with the band pull aparts

Barbell curl
95x12x3 sets - tired of hammer curls, loading adjustable dumbbell handles is a pain in the ass plus putting 25’s on them make hammer curls awkward. Basically I don’t give a fuck but a little bit of bicep work is probably better than none.

2 Likes

I might look into it. Most of the styles these days are not my thing at all. Soon I will be wearing $10 sweat suits from Walmart if it continues this way

Friday, March 30 - light squat/deadlift day

Squat - transformer bar in back squat position
300x2x5, 45sec. rest, vertical jump after each set

Deadlift
520x1 - about the same as 510 two weeks ago, only issue is slight shaking in my legs at knee level, no big deal. I usually get that shaky leg thing if I don’t do any RDLs or GMs for a while, not sure what happened here. Today is a holiday and my kids are off school, when I was about to put on my belt for this set they started making a bunch of noise and it really messed up my concentration, the plan was for this to move much faster than it did. Oh well.
https://youtu.be/Ir2_4LwhlCY

430x2x5 sets - 2 min. rest

Deficit deadlift - standing on 35lb plates, 1.25"
415x3x3 - trying to get some more drive off the floor, this feels like my glutes and hamstrings are doing all the work. Small deficit but it makes a big difference.

Chest supported row
255x8x3 sets

Not too happy with the single but everything else was good.

If you guys are willing to open up the wallet a little bit, Barbell Apparel makes jeans that are specially shaped for the lifter’s thighs.

I know the price tag will look insane, but they’re the most comfortable jeans I’ve ever worn and I would rather have 1-2 of these than 10 pair of cheap and ill-fitting jeans.

Just FYI.

1 Like