Chris_ottawa's Training Log

That was how I felt after my last deload a few weeks ago. I used to deload every 4th or 5th week but then I got the idea to try mixing in some easier days rather than a full week deload and it works, but sometimes you end up with unplanned shitty days. I don’t really like deload weeks, I find them boring and the workouts can be tedious, but even though I don’t do a lot of volume there are times that I don’t have it in me to strain through a hard set.

No need to shill for Chad Wesley Smith / JTS and his functional overrreaching

I am literally not even sure who that is. I knew a Chad Smith in Strongman, him? I know that sometimes I have overdone it and then taken a week off in frustration. I learned about recovery that way. The older I get, the more I like Doug Hepburn’s ideas.

He runs Juggernaut Training Systems. Been building up his business for like 10 years. Coaches high level lifters. Been putting out solid informative content the whole time for sports performance powerlifting BJJ strongman and more. Surprised you haven’t heard of him because he’s one of the bigggest names in the industry these days and is doing really well for himself. I think he personally competes in BJJ these days having finished up with his powerlifting career.

Surprised you didn’t mention at all that he and Max train some pretty women

Edit: some pretty strong women :lol:

1 Like

He’s done it all so hard to encompass it all lel. Be cool to train under him but I’m doing alright with me AI app so I’m run that until gains run out.

Still don’t know anything about him, but I guess I’ll check out some videos. Apparently we agree on something, so he can’t be all bad, lol.

He competed in strongman at one point, I believe he won a pro card as well. A lot of his training-related ideas come from Mike Israetel, they wrote a book together on top of videos and other stuff.

If it’s the same guy, and I wasn’t buddies with him or anything, he almost went NFL, but couldn’t agree to terms with Green Bay and just didn’t sign with anyone. He had a 1000+ squat and literally ran with the yoke. Like, dead sprint with 1000lb yoke, Svend Karlsen couldn’t catch him. His good events were REALLY good.

Might be him, I know he was training a bunch of football players at one point but I don’t remember hearing anything about him playing.

O remember him being squintier and built more like a turtle, but it could be. Is he in Texas?

I think California. Look him up on Instagram or Facebook, he has a Youtube channel called JTS Strength.

Wednesday, August 26 - Main bench day - deload

Bench press
325x4
I was doing relatively high reps so I kept the same weight as last week and just cut the number of reps and sets.

Close grip 2 board
300x4

Band pushdown
super mini x20x2 sets - More reps but it’s easy and good for preventing and fixing elbow pain

1 Like

Friday, August 28 - Deadlift day - deload

Conventional DL
525x2 singles - Same thing as last week.

RDL
425x4

Chin ups - 45 degree supinated
bw x10x2 sets

Deloads get boring fast, I’m looking forward to lifting something heavy next week.

Saturday, August 29 - Bench assistance day - deload

Floor press
315x3

Military press
185x8

Side raise
20’s x10

W shoulder rotation
super mini x2 sets

It’s cold, cloudy, and raining today, somehow I slept until noon. And I only went to bed at 11:30 last night. I should be extra recovered after this deload. I think I’m going to do triples on wrapped squats, 5’s are too uncomfortable and the weight is light, I had enough of that for now.

1 Like

Monday, August 31 - Squat day

Squat - wraps - SBD
535x3 - Not bad but it could be better, I feel like the way things went last week kind of messed with my confidence.

Squat - sleeves
405x3x2 sets - Trying to be more explosive here, a few weeks ago I felt like I was jumping out of the hole (on warmups and work sets) but the last couple weeks I don’t really have it. This moved fast, but not quite jumping yet.

Band leg curl
light band x17, 13
Superset with:
Band leg extension
light band x18, 16

2 Likes

Looks heavy lol. You carrying much fatigue you think? Bar speed and explosiveness usually suffers when fatigued

I don’t think I could be carrying much less fatigue after a deload. It’s 30lbs over my last set of 5 two weeks ago and just wasn’t the best performance overall, but it’s only one set. I’m not really too worried, I will live to squat another day.

1 Like

Wednesday, September 2 - Main bench day

Bench press
330x7, 6 - Maybe could have done 8 on the first set, bench feels very good today. If I can keep it going like this I should have some big PRs coming in a few months. This might be a PR too, I don’t normally do sets of 7.

Close grip 2 board
305x8, 7

Floor pause DB tricep extension
40’s x14, 10, 9

As far as meets go, if WRPF has something in a few months I think I might sign up. WPC Canada nationals is in November but you have to wear masks and do a bunch of retarded COVID stuff that is too much to bear and I would rather not compete, but the WRPF meets are mostly in Quebec City and Quebec has less draconian restriction so it might be manageable. They actually had a meet a week and a half ago, I only found out afterwards, but looking at the pictures there is nobody wearing a mask and people are shaking hands and stuff.

1 Like

If you had a spotter, I definitely would have gone for an 8th rep. I think you could get it. Might be a grinder, but that’s ok. Great work bro!

1 Like