Chris Leben Is A Punk

The reason they don’t allow shots to the back of the head is because it can permanently damage/destroy any of the large bundle of nerves back there resulting in paralyzation, reduced motor skills, death, etc… It’s for the fighters safety. It’s the same reason in boxing and they wear gloves.

And kicking a down fighter is allowed, is it not? You just can’t strike a downed fighter in the head, I thought was the rule?

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:

People who actually practice MMA and related sports usually find old fights more exciting. the technicalities of fighting are more pronounced, even if they are not as flashy as a knock out. [/quote]

But the people who pay and make the sport a viable enterprise don’t. I can certainly enjoy 90 minutes of Sakuraba-Gracie every once in awhile, but for entertainment value the sport is way better now. I would like to see, at the very least, knees to the head of a grounded opponent added back in. I think that is coming with NJSAC hearings on the matter and a generally positive vibe I get from CSAC and NSAC regarding the issue.

At the end of the day MMA is entertainment and sport. Once the novelty wore off the NHB days were boring as hell. Give me Fedor-Cro Cop over any match from 10 years ago.

[quote]JonP wrote:
nut shots were never allowed.[/quote]

Tell that to Joe Son.

I think his testicles are still swollen from the beating that Keith Hackney put on them at UFC 4. Nut shots were ‘frowned upon’ but perfectly legal under NHB rules.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I remember seeing him get caught in the guillotine from Jason MacDonald and all I could say was “yeesssssss!”. [/quote]

Mate, you just hit it on the head. I love to see the cunt lose and I possibly cheer harder at all of his bouts than any of the others when he’s on the card.

When he went down to Anderson Silva, I walked around for the rest of the day with a huge grin on my face.

I hope Dana keeps him in and he uses him as a guy everyone can beat up on when they enter the UFC or need a confidence increasing bout.

I think he’s a complete twat.

Tries to bully everyone in the TUF house. Then gets teased and throws a tantrum and breaks some glass.

Talks shit about everyone and how great a fighter he is, when he’s not even UFC class. I love watching Anderson Silva pick him apart.

[quote]JonP wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
The tactic is legal and it works. It is debilitating and that is the point. If he can use it to his advantage, so be it.

I’m sorry to see MMA go the route of popular culture. It was much cooler when the fights had less rules and were more “realistic”. New fans are ruining it with this type of bullshit.

I think a standing person should be allowed to kick a downed fighter, punches to the back of the head should be allowed and nut shots too.

The sport is based on fighting. Not showmanship and fancy footwork.

You act like the UFC had a choice in adding the rules… and nut shots were never allowed.[/quote]

no, but they should be.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:

People who actually practice MMA and related sports usually find old fights more exciting. the technicalities of fighting are more pronounced, even if they are not as flashy as a knock out.

But the people who pay and make the sport a viable enterprise don’t. I can certainly enjoy 90 minutes of Sakuraba-Gracie every once in awhile, but for entertainment value the sport is way better now. I would like to see, at the very least, knees to the head of a grounded opponent added back in. I think that is coming with NJSAC hearings on the matter and a generally positive vibe I get from CSAC and NSAC regarding the issue.

At the end of the day MMA is entertainment and sport. Once the novelty wore off the NHB days were boring as hell. Give me Fedor-Cro Cop over any match from 10 years ago.[/quote]

At the end of the day MMA is entertainment and sport. You are right. I personally just miss the days when it was sport that happened to be entertaining.

It currently has quite a bandwagon of followers and i can’t blame the promoters for making financial profit out of that, but it does suck that the sport is being bastardized to a bout of showmanship.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
People who actually practice MMA and related sports usually find old fights more exciting. the technicalities of fighting are more pronounced, even if they are not as flashy as a knock out. [/quote]

I disagree. I like to see a talented person fight in any organization. Yes, to see the “technicalities pronounced” is something that MMA practitioners like to see. I don’t think that has changed that much. If anything, the talent pool has gotten much deeper.

It went form one-sided fights to a healthy competition.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:

People who actually practice MMA and related sports usually find old fights more exciting. the technicalities of fighting are more pronounced, even if they are not as flashy as a knock out.

At the end of the day MMA is entertainment and sport. Once the novelty wore off the NHB days were boring as hell. Give me Fedor-Cro Cop over any match from 10 years ago.

At the end of the day MMA is entertainment and sport. You are right. I personally just miss the days when it was sport that happened to be entertaining.

It currently has quite a bandwagon of followers and i can’t blame the promoters for making financial profit out of that, but it does suck that the sport is being bastardized to a bout of showmanship. [/quote]

I’d like to see the 10 minute first round as was in Pride as it gave ground fighters a better chance. Glad to hear knees to the head of a grounded opponent may be allowed soon.

Oh please. The good old days of UFC sucked. It was like a van dam movie. You had a sumo vs. a kickboxer in one match. Maybe a drunken monkey vs. zangief from street fighter. It was stupid. And whoever was the bigest and hit the hardest would win. No skill at all.

The problem now is that it is MMA. Everyone is well trained in most areas of fighting. Now you don’t often see people getting KO’s in the first 10 seconds.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
And whoever was the bigest and hit the hardest would win. No skill at all.
[/quote]

That would explain Royce Gracie then… idiot.

For all you Leben haters:

Oh and just a side note… Franklin is a dead man walking.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

I’d like to see the 10 minute first round as was in Pride as it gave ground fighters a better chance. Glad to hear knees to the head of a grounded opponent may be allowed soon.

[/quote]

See, I’m torn on that. I think the 5 minute rounds are OK, as long as the fighters aren’t stood up too quickly. I know the crowd boos and people get pissed, but IMO if a guy can keep you down it’s your job to find a way to get the fuck up. Pride paraded the 10 minute round as an edge to grapplers, but if the guy on top wasn’t Japanese they would put them up quickly and penalize their purse which I don’t agree with at all.

If anything needs to change with the time limits, I think all the main card bouts should be 5, 5 minute rounds.

[quote]De sleeplijn wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:

That would explain Royce Gracie then… idiot.[/quote]

and tons of other fighters who apparantly retired before he became an MMA fan. Many of them still make appearances as middle aged dudes and whip the mid twenties and early thirties “better trained” asses.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:

It currently has quite a bandwagon of followers and i can’t blame the promoters for making financial profit out of that, but it does suck that the sport is being bastardized to a bout of showmanship.

[/quote]

I agree that longer rounds would be best. The way fights are set up now definately gives the upper hand to strikers.

It takes a while for a grappler to work in to position, put his opponent in a hold and work his opponent to a tap. There are way too many fights where the submission fighter “wins” by putting his opponent in a hold but the guy knows he only has to grit his teeth and bear it for 20 seconds as his corner counts down the clock. so he does and the grappler is screwed out of a victory.

Ten more seconds and he would have had a tap. The grappler did his job but it didn’t count due to a technicality.

Knock a guy out even 1 second before the bell rings and it’s over.

I’m sure it’s by design as striking fights are more exciting to watch, especially for new fans who don’t really know what they are watching and just want to see a brawl.

It sucks though because the fighting just isn’t as pure.

I think they should at least give grapplers an automatic round victory for setting up a successful submission hold at the end of the round that is only broken up by the bell, regardless of how the rest of the round went. They would still be getting short changed, but not as badly.

How did Royce Gracie do against Matt Hughes?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
How did Royce Gracie do against Matt Hughes? [/quote]

Fucking hell. Some people are just too stupid for their own good.

I was merely answering the Chicken’s dud of a comment that the bigger opponents always won.

Perhaps my memory is a little hazy but I recall a skinny assed Gracie beating a jacked Shamrock.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
De sleeplijn wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:

That would explain Royce Gracie then… idiot.

and tons of other fighters who apparantly retired before he became an MMA fan. Many of them still make appearances as middle aged dudes and whip the mid twenties and early thirties “better trained” asses. [/quote]

That is just the influx of TUF fans. I don’t hate the show but it has brought in a number of instant experts that enjoy dissin’ the older UFC’s.

I prefer where MMA is now, but the olden days served their purpose.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
I was watching one of his fights earlier and he is the biggest b*tch in the UFC. His only strength to note is his ability to stomp on people’s feet. Once their feet are bruised he will use his weight as he clenches in the corner and the opponent will be too afraid to keep their feet on the ground.

This is a cheap ass move and I think it is on the level of kicking a guy in the nuts and eye gouging. It should be barred. He is the only fighter that i have ever seen use the foot stomp. What a punk.[/quote]

Wow, this is a really dumb post. Are you 15? Do you regularly post on sherdog as “TUFGuyWatchMeTapUOut.”

It’s stupid-ass MMA posts like this that make me glad there is no separate MMA section on the board. If anyone other than the slimjim, donut62 (and, surprisingly) texasguy posted, all we’d see would be: “Such-and-such fighter is a punk!” and “So-and-so will get pwned!” type of posts. Then those same people would invade the rest of the forums.

Sad.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

See, I’m torn on that. I think the 5 minute rounds are OK, as long as the fighters aren’t stood up too quickly. I know the crowd boos and people get pissed, but IMO if a guy can keep you down it’s your job to find a way to get the fuck up. Pride paraded the 10 minute round as an edge to grapplers, but if the guy on top wasn’t Japanese they would put them up quickly and penalize their purse which I don’t agree with at all.

If anything needs to change with the time limits, I think all the main card bouts should be 5, 5 minute rounds.[/quote]

I guess the problem with the 10 minute round was in the execution (blame your parents if your not Japanese!).

The other thing that I liked about the 10 minute round though was that (at least it seemed to me) it actually lead to fights finishing sooner since they basically have to fight two rounds without being “saved by the bell”.

But I like your idea of 5, 5 minute rounds, anything to take fights out of the hands of the judges.