T Nation

Chris Colucci: How Do You Train?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

SUGAAAAH!

On topic: attaboy.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
So if Plazma is “Best”, what are “Good” and “Better” within the Biotest lineup?[/quote]
With what Biotest offers as far as protein mixes, I’d probably say basic Grow! whey in juice is “good” (as in, it’s the most barebones attempt you could make to get high quality protein and carbs around the training session), Surge Recovery or straight MAG-10 would be “better”.
[/quote]

What kind of juice? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I can’t imagine mixing something chocolate or vanilla flavored in any juice. Also, really the only juice I drink is orange juice. So something like grape or apple juice?

For you, breakfast, a shake, lunch, a workout shake, and dinner would be pretty close to perfect. ;)[/quote]

Hm. Well, right now the milk is getting drunk throughout the day. A couple glasses comprise breakfast and then it just stays steady through the whole day. Then there’s basically a burst of food with lunch, and another with dinner. But I upped the overall quantities which seems to be what I needed.

Peri-workout nutrition decreases DOMS and recovery time between sessions, can improve recovery time between sets, can improve performance (strength and/or endurance) during sets, and makes women flock to you like cats to a laser pointer. Seriously, getting peri-wo nutrition in order is a night and day difference.[/quote]

Late last week, I started using a cheap store-bought preworkout with caffeine, creatine, beta-alanine, taurine, l-arginine, and l-glutamine. I’m just taking it in the mornings instead of coffee/energy drink, not pre-workout (for some reason it raises my perceived body temperature and made me overheated during the workout itself), but adding that in has definitely improved performance and intraset recovery. I’m going to venture a guess that it’s the creatine and beta-alanine responsible for that.

Mostly I just wanted to have an idea of what a preworkout could do, without spending more than $15 to find out. When this tub is gone, I’ll upgrade to something better.

I am glad I established a baseline first though.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

3 weeks, waist is down almost 2 inches, arms/thighs/calves are the same [/quote]
Thats pretty impressive. I think that Cosgrove program seems to be one of the best routines this site has produced for overall recomp.[/quote]
Thanks, man. I am pretty happy with how things are going so far. I can’t say I’ve been 100% balls out dieting the whole time though. A little into the second week I got some nasty poison ivy (I got it last year around the same time, turns out it came back up in the yard again), so I was out a few days, but all in all, it definitely gets a thumbs up.

The complex program is wrapping up this week and then I’m moving on to a different training plan (not settled on which yet), still fat loss focused for another month or two.[/quote]

Glad to hear that worked that well. If (rather, when) that becomes something I’m concerned about, I’ll take a look.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
What kind of juice? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I can’t imagine mixing something chocolate or vanilla flavored in any juice. Also, really the only juice I drink is orange juice. So something like grape or apple juice?[/quote]
Vanilla protein in orange juice turns into a creamsicle, and if you don’t love creamsicles, I don’t think we can remain friendly. Chocolate protein in fruit punch is (sometimes) tolerable as a vaguely chocolate covered berry-ish concoction. I’ve tried vanilla in apple and grape juice. Not my best ideas, but then again, I’ve tried tuna and Diet Coke shakes (courtesy of Flex Magazine). Vanilla grape juice is like honey whiskey compared to that.

For you, breakfast, a shake, lunch, a workout shake, and dinner would be pretty close to perfect. ;)[/quote]
Hm. Well, right now the milk is getting drunk throughout the day. A couple glasses comprise breakfast and then it just stays steady through the whole day. Then there’s basically a burst of food with lunch, and another with dinner. But I upped the overall quantities which seems to be what I needed.[/quote]
Gotcha. If you’ve bumped up the overall calories, that’s definitely a good step. Good call.

Weird that it noticeably raised your body temp. I’d chalk it up to either your body reacting to the new stimulus (either the caffeine or one of the particular ingredients. Some people get an “arginine flush.”) or it possibly having some shady ingredients in it (not uncommon with cheaper stuff).

But yeah, if you saw improved recovery, I’d probably attribute it to the creatine and/or beta-alanine. Any protein/carbs in it wouldn’t have as dramatic a result if you’re taking the “pre-workout” drink in the morning and training later in the day.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
SUGAAAAH!

On topic: attaboy.[/quote]
Ha, thanks, man. And yeah, SOAD is a must-have on any cardio playlist.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Glad to hear that worked that well. If (rather, when) that becomes something I’m concerned about, I’ll take a look.[/quote]
Something I’ve definitely noticed about going hard on complexes is the mental aspect of pushing yourself those last few sets, resisting the urge to stretch out the rest or take more breaks between exercises.

It’s kinda comparable to a high rep set of breathing squats. Dipping down for “just one more rep” on squats… stepping up to the bar for “just one more round” of the complex. It’s definitely not the same as just pushing yourself running sprints or doing treadmill work.

I just posted this in the August Photo/Video Check-in, so why not here too.

8-Week Measurement Summary

Bodyweight: - 5.2 pounds
Neck: No change
Inhaled Nip Line: - 1/2 inch
Exhaled Navel: - 2 3/4 inches
2" Below Navel: - 3 1/4 inches
Right Arm: No change
Left Arm: No change
Right Thigh: +1 inch
Left Thigh: + 3/4 inch
Right Calf: No change
Left Calf: - 1/4 inch

Jaw-dropping progress? Clearly not by any means. But I’m happy enough seeing the overwhelming majority of fat dropping from the waist and everything else ending up pretty much in place size-wise, especially since experimenting with basic supps only (Grow! whey and Surge Recovery, not HOT-ROX, no Indigo, etc.).

Also, inb4 “Take off your sweater before posting pics, you filthy furball.” The secret’s out. I’ve got Italian and Polish genes, so sue me.

I’m currently three weeks into the OVT program and it’s kinda kicking my ass.

Heavy work supersetted with slow negatives every session, workouts are closer to two hours (longer than I’ve done in a while), the DOMS the first week was just ridiculous - like sore to the touch for days post-workout. But I’m adapting and progressing, so it’s all good.

The plan is to continue this the full eight weeks (so, five more) and then jump ship. I’ve got my eye on another Waterbury program, but that may change.

What is your diet like when doing the OVT?

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
What is your diet like when doing the OVT?[/quote]
Basically the same as it’s been from day one. Classic “protein and fats in the morning/afternoon, carbs peri-workout and after.” I haven’t counted macros, but have kept an eye on portion sizes and adjusted overall based on weekly or biweekly weigh-ins.

Average day looks something like:

1. 4 or 5 eggs with raw or cooked vegetables.

2. 2 scoops Grow! in water with 1 scoop leucine.

3. An hour to and hour and a half pre-training - Chicken (breast or thigh) with cheese or meat/veg dinner leftovers.

4. 10 minutes pre-training - 1 scoop Surge Recovery in water.

5. During training - 2 scoops Surge Recovery in water.

6. Family dinner, usually an hour and a half to two hours after training - Always a different recipe, but it’s always a combo of meat (often chicken skinless breast or thigh, ground beef, or pork), vegetable (fresh, locally grown, and organic), and carb (potato, sweet potato, quinoa, rice, rice and beans, etc.)

7. 2 scoops Grow! in water with 1 scoop leucine.

Interestingly, my sweat has unfortunately gotten noticeably ammoniated the last week or so. Daily carbs are likely too low to support the longer workouts, or the cat’s been peeing on the laundry. I’m almost definitely going to add some to the pre-training meal, possibly increase them a bit on non-training days, and tweak it from there.

Definitely leaner in the photos, especially around the waist, and shoulder definition.

So what’s your goal with the OVT program? Are your calories at a surplus or deficit for that?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Definitely leaner in the photos, especially around the waist, and shoulder definition.

So what’s your goal with the OVT program? Are your calories at a surplus or deficit for that?[/quote]
Thanks, man.

My goal right now is, I guess, what’s recently been considered a “recomp.” Not so much a dedicated fat loss phase, but shifting things around and pretty much continuing what’s been happening. I’m not doing any cardio other than a relaxed pace, 45-60 minute bike ride with my gal once or twice a week, so there’s not as much direct fat loss stimulus going on.

Over the last four weeks, since switching from the complexes to the OVT (three weeks of OVT, the first week post-complexes was summertime putzing around in the gym and still figuring out what to do next), the changes were:

Bodyweight: - .6 pounds
Neck: + 1/4 inch
Inhaled Nip Line: - 1/2 inch
Exhaled Navel: - 3/4 inches
2" Below Navel: - 1 inch
Right Arm: + 1/4 inch
Left Arm: + 1/2 inch
Right Thigh: +1 inch
Left Thigh: +1 inch
Right Calf: +1/2 inch
Left Calf: + 1/4 inch

I guess, since size was put back and weight change was mostly stagnant, I was in a slight surplus. Especially with the carbs I’ll be adding in now, my calories will also be going up a bit, but the idea is to keep the waist numbers dropping and the rest gradually increasing on a regular basis (most likely with biweekly weigh-ins).

Average day looks something like…

Interestingly, my sweat has unfortunately gotten noticeably ammoniated the last week or so.[/quote]

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I was thinking of adding in the complexes for my next 4 week cycle, and now you’ve given me the idea to try OVT after so I look forward to seeing how you get on.

I feel you on the ammoniated sweat. I just recently learned what caused it so I’ve added some more carbs to my diet to avoid being “the guy who smells of piss” in the gym.

Chris, I was wondering if I may pick your brains about the complexes. I just did the first one today.

When you did the jump lunges in Complex C, were those just bodyweight?

And the reverse lunges: did you do those 5 reps per leg or in total?

Thanks in advance, it’s really good of you to give up so much of your time here.

Chris, I was wondering if I may pick your brains about the complexes. I just did the first one today.

When you did the jump lunges in Complex C, were those just bodyweight?[/quote]
If I remember right (I’ve kinda blocked it out of my head), I tried it both ways but stuck with just bodyweight. I just re-read the article and I think it worked out fine. You’d likely have to cater the weight used to what you could handle on the lunges instead of the press if you did them weighted. We’d barely be leaving the ground with any added weight, especially since it’s the last exercise in the series anyway. If they seem easy unweighted (ha!), shoot for getting more height on the jumps.

5 (or 6) per leg, alternating each rep. With weight.

Ha, no prob, man. As always, I’m just glad to help. Stick with it and drop a note how they turn out.

So I totally understand that 11 minute-long videos are ridiculous to sit though, but this just happened and figured I’d share.

Thought it might be neat to shoot the whole complex from start to finish, no edits or cuts. 5 exercises (6 if you count the front squat and push press as just one thruster), 75 pounds 6x6, 45 seconds between sets. It’s the same complex series as the previous video I posted (the 70 pound/4x5/90 sec rest).

Last set starts around 10:00, if you felt like shaving off some time.[/quote]

You did more reps in one session than I have done all year

[quote]Reed wrote:
You did more reps in one session than I have done all year[/quote]
Maybe, but I could say the same to you about weight lifted, so let’s call it a draw. :wink:

Just as a small update: The OVT, while it’s a great program on paper, just wasn’t for me. I made it about 6 weeks through and then, sorry to say, I just burned out. I’m not saying overtrained, just simply burned out.

The workouts were productive, but there was no getting out of the gym short of the two-hour mark and it was becoming a chore. That’s definitely not how you want to feel about lifting, so I just didn’t dig it after a while. The concept is rock solid (heavy lifting supersetted with slow TUT work), but eventually I started feeling stale, bored, and just not looking forward to training even though progress was still being made.

I recently started a(nother) new routine: Waterbury’s “SOB Training”.

Lifting 3 or 4 days a week - 2 upper body, 2 lower body, with 2 higher rep days and 2 lower rep. Each session has a vertical push or pull, a horizontal push or pull, a hip or quad-dominant leg exercise, and some “assistance” work (bis, tris, shoulders, abs, or calves).

What?!? Yet another “full body workout” program that includes direct arm work and isolation exercises? Yes. As it should be.

Kinda basic stuff, but the way it’s laid out is pretty brilliant. The sets and reps change slightly each week, so the exercises also change each session, but the overall concept and general movement patterns remain the same. One week is sets of 3 and sets of 30, another week is sets of 5 and 15, next week is sets of 2 and 50, etc. My last few workouts looked like:

A) Flat bench press 6x5
B) Neutral-grip pull-up 3x5
C) Hammer Strength high row 3x5
D) Wide grip deadlift 3x5
E) Conventional deadlift 3x5
F) Rack barbell curl 3x5
G) Pallof Press iso-hold 3x5ct.

A) Leg press 4x15
B) Seated cable row 4x15
C) Machine shoulder press 4x15
D) Standing lateral raise machine 2x15
E) Rope overhead extension 2x15
F) Seated calf raise 2x15

A) Front pulldown 4x15
B) Dumbbell RDL 4x15
C) Machine chest press 4x15
D) Preacher curl machine 2x15
E) Hanging knee raise 2x15

Next session is more work with 6x5 on the main lifts. I’m doing some easy bike rides or hitting the heavy bag on non-lifting days.

Definitely looking forward to the rest of this program, both physically and psychologically.

Yo Colucci,

You should start a log in the “training logs section”.

Have you ever tried any of the more basic programs such as 531 or 5x5? I personally find I get the best results out of those, although I did also have some luck with GVT. As you can tell I prefer more of the “simpler” programs.

And what exactly did you eat yesterday?

Uncle Bird.

tweet

Hey Chris,

I finished the complexes and made a thread instead of cluttering up yours. Got some really good results from it.

Interesting about the OVT. NOt so sure I’ll give it a try now, may just see the year out with 5/3/1.

[quote]theBird wrote:
You should start a log in the “training logs section”.[/quote]
I’ve considered it, but I know I’d bail on it after a while. I track my workouts in a notebook at the gym, and then usually leave it in my gym bag and forget about it until the next session.

I did 5/3/1 for a few months a year or two ago and played with different 5x5 versions off and on forever. They’re solid and reliable, not much more I can say about them that hasn’t been said. They are (or will be, in the case of 5/3/1) time-tested classics that are legit go-tos for most people.

Really? :confused:

• 1/2 cup oatmeal with 2 scoops Metabolic Drive, 1 scoop leucine, about 1 Tbsp raisins, about 1/2 tsp cinnamon; bigass coffee with splenda

• Chicken breasts, Italian sausage, peppers, and onions

• Spike Shotgun

• Chicken thighs with rosemary and thyme in a sherry pan sauce, par-boiled broccoli, roasted butternut squash

• 2 scoops Metabolic Drive in water

I finished the complexes and made a thread instead of cluttering up yours. Got some really good results from it.[/quote]
Yep, saw it and commented there. Cool stuff.

It’s a good program, but it is 30-40 sets per session with timed rests for efficient performance. Short-term, I was liking it, but it wore me down after a bit. I’m sure some people would definitely thrive on it though. And like I said, the basic concept of supersetting heavy work with slow, exaggerated negatives is something worth experiencing, if only to be reminded what it feels like to have pecs sore to the touch for four days straight. :wink: