Choppie's WS4SB Cycle

(This was Friday.)

WS4SB Week 4, Day 3

5 minute bike warmup
approx 15 mins foam rolling, stretching, shoulder dislocations, hip mobility

Repetition Lift:
barbell bench presses for max reps (goal: work up to 3 sets max rep, 60 seconds rest between sets)
1xbarx10
1x75lbs.x15
1x95lbs.x14
1x95lbs.x10
1x95lbs.x6

Supplemental Lift:
EZ bar skullcrushers (goal: 5-10 reps)
1x35lbs.x10 (these EZ bars have oly-style sleeves on them so I’m guessing they’re 25lbs.)
1x55lbs.x10
1x65lbs.x5
1x65lbs.x4

Vertical Pulling:
lat pulldowns (seated on swiss ball with dual pulley machine) (goal: 4 sets of 8-12 reps each side)
1x65lbs.x12
1x75lbs.x12
1x75lbs.x12
1x805lbs.x12

Medial Delts:
seated DB presses (goal: 3 sets of 10-15 reps)
1x20lbs.dumbbellsx15
1x25lbs.x15
1x25lbs.x15

Elbow flexion:
dumbbell hammer curls (goal: 3 sets of 8-10 reps)
1x20lbs.dumbbellsx10
1x25lbs.x10
1x30lbs.x6

ab circuit

shoulder prehab exercises

stretching, foam roller, hip mobility, etc.

Total time: 1:49 (incl. cardio warmup)
Max HR: 153
Av HR: 110
Cals: 699

(And this was Saturday.)

Workout: (I don’t know what to call this one)
1:03
Mx HR: 169
Av HR: 145
Cals: 733

I decided to stop worrying about the fact that I don’t feel like running at the moment and find something else to do. I did a kettlebelll warmup: swings and get-ups. We have the large but not oversized (16 inch stock wheels) tires that came off Mick’s Rubicon. When he had them taken off I said I wanted to keep one to play with. He decided to keep all four them: good call! They’re a decent slab of rubber, mud and snow tires, I’d guess 25-35 pounds? After warming up I took one down and spent about fifteen minutes or more pushing it. It worked fairly well. The resistance was too high on the pavement - doable, but hard. Not good hard, more too much friction hard. It was hard to get a rhythm. I moved over to the other side of the road and pushed it in the sand. That was better, but still uneven: good in the dry sand, grabby in the wet sand, and easy to slip on the dry sand. There’s potential here though.

Then I stacked three up and cut a piece of old climbing rope down to about thirty feet. I looped that through the stack and spent another 40 minutes pulling (upper body) and dragging (forwards and backwards). I finished with some farmers’ walks with two tires and carrying one up the hill where I did my sandbag hill work.

Mucho fun! Mick said “now the neighbors really will think you’re crazy.”

love the tire workout- I should get a vest or something do bring outside in the middle of the city when spring comes along. Not sure a massive tire yould fly.

Love the tire workout too! I’ve had much better success uploading videos to Youtube and then just pasting the link into my posts. I’d love to see the video, so I hope you try again to post it.

[quote]kimbakimba wrote:
Love the tire workout too! I’ve had much better success uploading videos to Youtube and then just pasting the link into my posts. I’d love to see the video, so I hope you try again to post it.[/quote]

Okay, I’ve done that.

FWIW (and in answer to Snappah): I’m 5’7.5". When I’m feeling optimistic I say 5’8". When I’m feeling pessimistic I say 5’7". 210 pounds, approx 27% fat. Which isn’t then end goal, more of an unpleasant mile marker of a few years of being very, very bad.

Awesome ad hoc tire workout! I wish I could do something like that…

I like that you include the time of your workouts btw - gives me a good gauge as to how long others are in the gym.

Vid looks good - i’m no place to critique form. Will leave that to the experts.

Great work Choppie!

Thanks for sharing your video. Here’s my feedback, which is worth what you’re paying for it . . .

It looks to me like you jerk with your biceps on your first pull. Dangerous. Also, you spend a lot of energy returning the bar to the floor. I have learned “the controlled drop.” Some gyms don’t allow it. Otherwise, looks good.

Too bad you don’t have an ART practitioner nearby. I have a great one who has magic hands. My back gives me troubles regularly. Like tonight . . .

Thanks for the input ladies. I did some more taping today, and I really noticed that my butt shoots right up.

WS4SB Week 5, Day 2

5 minute bike warmup
foam rolling, shoulder dislocations, hip stretches, etc.

Maximum Effort:
dealifts (goal: warmup to 3-5 reps ME on final set)
1x115lbs.x5
1x135lbs.x5
1x175lbs.x2
1x185lbs.x1
1x195.lbs.x1
1x200.lbs.xfail

Unilateral:
dumbbell walking lunges (goal: 4 sets of 8-15 reps each side)
1x80lbs.(2 40 lbs. dumbbells)x14
1x80lbs.x14
1x80lbs.x14
1x80lbs.x12

Posterior Chain:
goodmornings (goal: 4 sets of 6-10 reps)
1x95lbs.x6
1x95lbs.x6
1x95lbs.x6

Grip work: Static Holds
1x2 60lbs. dumbbells x30 seconds

shoulder prehab exercises

stretching, foam roller, hip stretches, etc.

Total time: 1:46 (incl. cardio warmup)
Max HR: 176
Av HR: 119

Fixed my notation: those are 40 dbs, 80 total on the lunges. Oops.

That looks like a solid training. I have been working hard on my hips not starting up first while deadlifting. Difficult!

M’kay, some updating.

I decided to bite the bullet and drive an hour to see an ART practitioner. My hope it to nail this hip pain for good, and work on some mobility problems (my perception is that this is problem) that are inhibiting my lifting technique, especially my back squat.

He doesn’t actually think my hip mobility is so much of a problem. He thinks it’s more that I don’t fire my core. I can feel it. I can do the “right” movement with a phyio ball behind me, pinned between the wall and my back. But without the ball my mind takes over and says “you can’t support this motion,” and collapses me at the hips.

He also did some Graston Technique work on my calves, which I had no idea were tight. It’s sort of like being gone over with a metal rolling pin. And it’s painful. But I had no idea that normal people can flex their toes so far towards their shins.

WS4SB Week 5, Day 3

5 minute bike warmup
approx 15 mins foam rolling, stretching, shoulder dislocations, hip mobility

I did my shoulder prehab here b/c the racks were full.

Repetition Lift:
barbell bench presses for max reps (goal: work up to 3 sets max rep, 60 seconds rest between sets)
1xbarx10
1x75lbs.x10
1x95lbs.x15
1x95lbs.x9
1x95lbs.x6

Supplemental Lift:
EZ bar skullcrushers (goal: 5-10 reps)
1x60lbs.x6 (these EZ bars have oly-style sleeves on them so I’m guessing they’re 25lbs.)
1x60lbs.x7
1x60lbs.x6
1x60lbs.x6

Vertical Pulling:
lat pulldowns (seated on swiss ball with dual pulley machine) (goal: 4 sets of 8-12 reps each side)
1x80lbs.x12
1x80lbs.x12
1x80lbs.x10
1x80lbs.x10

Medial Delts:
seated DB presses (goal: 3 sets of 10-15 reps)
1x25lbs.dumbbellsx15
1x25lbs.x15
1x25lbs.x7

Elbow flexion:
dumbbell hammer curls (goal: 3 sets of 8-10 reps)
1x30lbs.dumbbellsx8
1x25lbs.x10
1x25lbs.x10

ab circuit

stretching, foam roller, hip mobility, etc.

Total time: 1:53 (incl. cardio warmup)
Max HR: 168
Av HR: 114
Cals: 803

I did some tire carries when I got home.
Time: 24:29
Max HR: 171
Av HR: 134
Cals: 244

Looking forward to have a better week this week. I really need it.

Hope the ART works.

I actually weighed the EZ curl bar in my gym because it felt heavy. Ended up being 32.5 lb.