Choosing Your Template for 5/3/1

Hey guys,

So for years I’ve been following this template (eventually using 5/3/1 for the past year or so):

Day 1- 5/3/1 Squats

• 5’s pro SLDL
  • 3 sets of walking lunges 10-12 reps each leg
  • 3-4 sets of back raises for 15 reps

Day 2- Chest/Back

• I would do 5/3/1 bench with chins or rows, and then usually 2-3 more exercises for chest and back supersetted. I found that I loved the push/pull aspect of training chest and back.

Day 3- OFF

Day 4- 5/3/1 Deadlift

• 3 sets of split squats or step ups for 8-12 reps each leg
    -3 sets of 50lb KB swings for 12-15 reps
  • 4 sets of shrugs

Day 5- 5/3/1 OHP with band pull aparts during warm up

• DB Military press for 3-4 sets of 8-12 with chins
  • 3 sets of weighted dips with face pulls
  • 3 sets of DB/BB curls with push downs
  • 3 sets of DB hammer curls with skullcrushers
  • 3 sets of side lateral raises
  • may need to fix day 5*

I understand I am cramming quite a bit of work into Day 5. Is there any other way I can do this? Shoulders and Arms together probably isn’t the greatest idea. I know arms aren’t important but I do like the bodybuilding work a little bit as well. I find doing accessory work for my arms can really help out the main lifts with 5/3/1, for me.

If anyone sees something I should consider changing around, please let me know. I’m open to some new ideas. For my training, I wouldn’t mind adding some speed work or plyometrics that would crossover into sports for athletes interested in speed/power/strength. I love super setting chest and back and I feel it’s something I just can’t get away from…

Any suggestions guys?

Thank you so much!

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

• may need to fix day 5*

I understand I am cramming quite a bit of work into Day 5. Is there any other way I can do this?
[/quote]

OHP - 5/3/1
DB Military press/chins superset
BB Curl/Dip/Face Pull tri-set

6 weeks later replace the tri-set with;

DB Curl/Pushdowns/Side lateral raises

6 weeks later

Hammer Curls/Skull Crushers/Rear lateral raise

6 weeks later

Rinse/wash/repeat… but I’m sure you can see the theme by now.

Jump rope for your warmup.

After the warmup do 15 box jumps, long jumps, medicine ball throws or med ball slams in sets of 3-5 (jumps on lower body days, throws on upper body days). These aren’t speed jumps/throws… do each jump/throw individually and with as much intensity as you can manage.

Consider removing the lunge or split squat work and replace it with power cleans for a few months.

Dips, pushdowns, and skullcrushers all work triceps. Chins, BB curls, and hammer curls all nail the biceps. If you really believe you need 18 sets for “arms” you might want to reassess the intensity. Some dude’s got it, just pick one variation each for bi’s and tri’s and switch after a couple cycles when it gets stale or stops giving you progress.

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:
Dips, pushdowns, and skullcrushers all work triceps. Chins, BB curls, and hammer curls all nail the biceps. If you really believe you need 18 sets for “arms” you might want to reassess the intensity. Some dude’s got it, just pick one variation each for bi’s and tri’s and switch after a couple cycles when it gets stale or stops giving you progress.[/quote]

Hmm, I suppose you’re right. If anything, I’m probably overtraining my arms by doing so much. I know having arms in 5/3/1 seems kind of “douchey”; but I can’t help but love doing them. I do like bodybuilding, but 5/3/1 is the program I want to follow. I think a solid 5/3/1 program can carryover into any sport amazingly. So I will definitely cut back on some arm work for sure.

As for the rest of my template; do you think everything looks pretty good? Should I consider adding in power cleans somewhere, or any other jumps or throws?

[quote]some_dude wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

• may need to fix day 5*

I understand I am cramming quite a bit of work into Day 5. Is there any other way I can do this?
[/quote]

OHP - 5/3/1
DB Military press/chins superset
BB Curl/Dip/Face Pull tri-set

6 weeks later replace the tri-set with;

DB Curl/Pushdowns/Side lateral raises

6 weeks later

Hammer Curls/Skull Crushers/Rear lateral raise

6 weeks later

Rinse/wash/repeat… but I’m sure you can see the theme by now.

Jump rope for your warmup.

After the warmup do 15 box jumps, long jumps, medicine ball throws or med ball slams in sets of 3-5 (jumps on lower body days, throws on upper body days). These aren’t speed jumps/throws… do each jump/throw individually and with as much intensity as you can manage.

Consider removing the lunge or split squat work and replace it with power cleans for a few months.[/quote]

Would it be best to do power cleans before or after deads? And what should the set/rep scheme look like at what weight?

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

Would it be best to do power cleans before or after deads? And what should the set/rep scheme look like at what weight?
[/quote]

Before. Doing power cleans is a great way to warm up for deadlifts.

I typically do 5 sets of 3 reps and pick the weights based on how I feel. I try to peak on the 4th set and the 5th is a back-off. Ex:

155x3
175x3
195x3
215x3 (possibly a PR)
195x3

What I’ve seen Jim recommend lately is 3’s Progression with SSL (second set last). 3’s Pro is based on 5’s Pro, which is page 50 in the Beyond 5/3/1 book.