Choosing When to Cut

Hi friends,

So, I’m currently on a bulk cycle, I have a bit of leftover fat from before, and have added a bit of fat, but not an incredible amount. I’ve been pretty happy with my gains so far, but obviously want to push it further.

My question, is whether it would be wiser to cut now for a month or two, and consolidate my gains, or to push further and go for a bigger cut later.

Stats:

6’3
210 lb
BMI - 26.2
Belly, but not massive - pics forthcoming

1RM
Bench - 205
DL - 295
Squat - 255
Military - 120

Thanks!

In order to make a plan, you need a point A and a point B. Point A is the stats you’ve listed. I don’t see a point B. If you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there.

Unless you have a very specific goal in mind (e.g. here’s what I look like how, if I wanted to do a natural BB show in 6 months, how should I best structure my bulk/cut?), that’s not a question that’s possible for us to answer. Cut when you are too dissatisfied with how sloppy you look, keeping in mind the caveat that overly frequent cuts are not ideal for progression.

My personal recommendation, however, would be to not worry too much about “bulking” and “cutting” just yet. I think it’s much more productive at this stage to focus on learning what you have to do to continue to make progress.

Do you like how you look now? Would you like how you look better if you were leaner? Or are you happy to stay at the same level of leanness (or maybe slightly fatter) while trying to get bigger?

That’s really all it comes down to. You have to decide which is more important to you. No one can answer that for you.

[quote]jklols2 wrote:
So, I’m currently on a bulk cycle, I have a bit of leftover fat from before, and have added a bit of fat, but not an incredible amount.[/quote]
How long have you been bulking and how much bodyweight have you gained in that time?

How much fat do you realistically expect to lose in a month, really? Instead of sidetracking your bulk with a full-blown fat loss phase, consider tweaking your diet (could be as simple as dropping carbs on non-lifting days) and/or adding some damage control-type cardio work.

You’re fixing this, right?