Choosing the Best Supplement Duo for Gaining

I’m fairly new to T-Nation. When I became a member I was about to begin a mass phase, and in preparation for that, I bought Surge Work Out Fuel and Surge Recovery. Now, I love both of these products, but I’ve seen so many stellar reviews of Anaconda I’ve been thinking about switching things up for the second half of my current mass phase.

Like most people, I’m operating on a budget. All I can really afford is 1 pre work out and 1 post work out supp. As a lifter, I’m a relative beginner–about 1.5 years of solid training and naturally on the skinny side (low 170s at 6’0). I struggle to gain mass but have managed to pack on 7-10 pounds in the last 8 months.

So, what would be the best product combo for someone with my body type and experience level to keep getting bigger and stronger? Oh, and I’m not sure if this makes a difference, but I’m also going to take creatine before and after each lifting session.

1. Surge Work Out Fuel and Surge Recovery

2. Anaconda and Surge Recovery

3. Anaconda and MAG-10

If it’s option #2, should Surge Recovery still be taken immediately following a work out, or does there need to be some sort of grace period for the Casein in Anaconda to be further digested before adding a recovery product on top of it?

If the best option is #3, and therefore includes MAG-10, when should the first post workout meal be eaten? An hour or two after the MAG-10 (2-3 hours post work out)? Casein (main ingredient in both Anaconda and MAG-10) has always been a purely “before bed” protein for me, so I’m not sure of the timing or how to incorporate a slow-digesting protein into a day-time meal plan.

7#s in the last 8 months.

Eat more food, forget the supplements for now, your nutrition is not in line to put the supplements to good use.

If you put as much effort into your daily eating and being consistent as your thought process to this thread, you’ll be making better progress.

Hope that doesn’t come off rude, not meant to be. Rather than simply just select a best supplement above, your time, money and effort will be better spent elsewhere for now.

170 lbs
Budget
Anaconda
^Something is very wrong here

What you need is a lot of ground beef, eggs, chicken and possibly some cheap whey around your workouts. Trust me.

[quote]kakno wrote:
170 lbs
Budget
Anaconda
^Something is very wrong here

What you need is a lot of ground beef, eggs, chicken and possibly some cheap whey around your workouts. Trust me. [/quote]

holy crap we agree.

A 10 pound bag of potatoes goes a long way and is cheap. Along with what has already been said of course.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
7#s in the last 8 months.

Eat more food, forget the supplements for now, your nutrition is not in line to put the supplements to good use.

If you put as much effort into your daily eating and being consistent as your thought process to this thread, you’ll be making better progress.

Hope that doesn’t come off rude, not meant to be. Rather than simply just select a best supplement above, your time, money and effort will be better spent elsewhere for now.
[/quote]

No, you didn’t come off as rude, just very candid. Appreciate the input.

Thanks to you other guys as well!

I’ll forget the supps. for now, but I’m still curious about what your answers would be to my initial question, as one of those product combos is something I’d be interested in employing in the future.

Either of those combos will be fine. It’s just protein+carbs, you can get the same from food. That said, it is liquid so should be easier to consume more calories.

food 90-95% of your specific goal, the above suppelements 5-10% . Unless you’re stepping on stage where every last ounce counts, I can’t fathom spending $10 per workout for the more “advanced” formulas.

Plenty of people have added weight/strength with just whey, creatine and good food. And plenty of people have been helped by Surge Recovery which is a fraction of the cost of the other stuff.

That said, later on if your budget allows, re-evaluate, time being eat up.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
food 90-95% of your specific goal, the above suppelements 5-10% . Unless you’re stepping on stage where every last ounce counts, I can’t fathom spending $10 per workout for the more “advanced” formulas.

Plenty of people have added weight/strength with just whey, creatine and good food. And plenty of people have been helped by Surge Recovery which is a fraction of the cost of the other stuff.

That said, later on if your budget allows, re-evaluate, time being eat up.[/quote]
x2 to this. Grow! whey or Metabolic Drive as a daily protein and Surge Recovery as a workout shake are a solid budget-conscious combo.

[quote]amorris2 wrote:
… naturally on the skinny side (low 170s at 6’0). I struggle to gain mass but have managed to pack on 7-10 pounds in the last 8 months.[/quote]
The million dollar question: What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

The one thing that you have to realize too is that many of the supps on the market today are fluff. A bunch of added shit with millions spent on advertising budgets = over priced fluffy shit. Two of the cheapest ingredients you can buy are creatine and beta-alanine. Caffeine for the kick is even cheaper. Do some research on those ingredients, what they do, the serving size to take, and a place that sells them individually. Those places exist, trust me. Food is the main component here though. More food and the cheap way to build your own supp is an added bonus.