Choosing Our Leaders

[quote]steveo5801 wrote:
I actually think that we should keep the method of electing officials to office, but place term limits on everyone.

My ideas:

(1) House of Representatives: Instead of 2 year terms and getting elected forever and making a career out of it, we would change the term to a 4 year term and limit them to 2 terms. That way, nobody would serve more than 8 years in the House.

(2) Senate: Keep the 6 year term, but limit it to 2 terms. That way, nobody would serve in the Senate for more than 12 years.

Without having to raise millions of dollars and worry about their “job security,” perhaps our elected officials will then do what is best for the people, instead of what is best for themselves.

Just an idea…[/quote]

If someone would actually swear on their immortal soul to enact this once elected, I’d take a bullet for them.

BTW: Weren’t term limits in the original Contract with America?

HH

[quote]orion wrote:
hspder wrote:

It’s called Democracy… I’m sorry you’re having problems accepting it. :wink:

That is something that you would not accept dealing with other issues. There is a difference between a Democracy and a tyranny of the majority.

Of course the weak, the stupid and the lazy will allways agree that it is “only fair” to tax the “rich”, meaning milking the middle class and preventing them from ever becoming rich. The real rich pay a lot less than the middle class does.

In real life it does not work anyway. I do not know about statistics in other countries, but in Austria the shadow economy is not only growing, it is booming .

As a sidenote for those American conservatives that think Europe is doomed because of our economic system, you are only looking at the official numbers and our tax system distorts them. [/quote]

Isn’t it a shame that you have to hide your wealth from government? One would think that government would want to reward productive citizens, not punish them.

Ms. Rand thinks that the goal of those who punish the productive for the benefit of the non-productive is, in fact, a death wish. They want the producers to die, because it reminds them of what humanity could really be capable of doing.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
hspder wrote:
orion wrote:
Um, I agree with him…

You know, socialized medicine…

Ok…

Free universities, well almost free…

Well, why not…

But they never stop…

I swear to God they don?t!

And they think it is perfectly reasonable and justified to milk very last Euro off me they can get.

So, you either work less, or your tax report belongs in the realm of fiction.

People react to incentives, is that so hard to understand?

Please take this the best possible way, but:

I have no idea what you’ve been smoking, but can you please come back and explain what you’re saying when you actually able to make any sense? I have absolutely no idea what you just said. You sound like my ex-colleagues from Berkeley after they had been smoking pot all afternoon.

If that helps, write in German (I can read German)… :wink:

Doc,
3 Phds, one in Econ, and you don’t understand why someone doesn’t want to be a beast of burden? C’mon, Doc, you’re just playing us! Fess up.

I wish I could make you understand how sacred your life and your work are. I can only imagine how you must have worked and slaved to get 3 Phds! Now, after all that, someone comes and takes the results of that work. They give your money to someone who didn’t want to be bothered. At gunpoint and with the threat of jail, they take your life’s work and give it to others. That doesn’t strike you as evil?

Some of the others DO need help. Little kids, old people, the sick. I’m happy to help them. But not at gunpoint. How about putting a box on my paycheck where I could donate to the causes that I (and not someone else) choose? Maybe that’s not done because they want to use my money for something I DON’T agree with?

Its worth repeating: “If you ain’t no punk, holler ‘We want freedom!’…yeah!” — Konye

HH

[/quote]

His name is Kanye with an ‘A’ and the line is “If you ain’t no punk, holler, ‘We want PRE-NUP.’”

The songs about gold-digging women, hence the title.

Old people should not quote rap.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
His name is Kanye with an ‘A’ and the line is “If you ain’t no punk, holler, ‘We want PRE-NUP.’”

The songs about gold-digging women, hence the title.

Old people should not quote rap.
[/quote]

Damn Straight! Guess my hearing is gone too! But I thought his name was really ‘Con-You’… :slight_smile:

No one likes my idea of using only electronic voting machines without the possibility of any accountability or physical records from a corporation owned by those in power? How about if we make them really easy to tamper with? Hmmmm, well what if the physical and reliable method cost 200,000 a year to maintain, and then we switch to my electronic method for a cost…20 million a year, how about now? CMON! (OK!)…What? You agreed?