Choosing Opener and Progressions

Go heavy or go home!!!
Why are all these people telling you to open so conservatively-WHY? because they are your competitors…
Do a triple with your opener? thats too light, you can do it 3X.
The worst thing in the world is NOT bombing, its SMOKING your 3rd attempt, then going home and trying to figure out what you would have totalled.
Get your first attempt, just make it somewhat impressive, dont forget that you are at a powerlifting meet.

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
Go heavy or go home!!!
Why are all these people telling you to open so conservatively-WHY? because they are your competitors…
The worst thing in the world is NOT bombing, its SMOKING your 3rd attempt, then going home and trying to figure out what you would have totalled.
Get your first attempt, just make it somewhat impressive, dont forget that you are at a powerlifting meet.[/quote]

I feel your attitude dawg. But I’m only there competing against myself for now. That bastard is tough enough to beat for right now. I think when I can get to my goal wt of 198. (12 more lbs. to go.) and start Squatting and Benching 500+ then I’ll worry about the other guy. I understand your mentality and it is duly noted.

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
Go heavy or go home!!!
Get your first attempt, just make it somewhat impressive, dont forget that you are at a powerlifting meet.[/quote]

You’re taking the piss right??? Why the hell would you want to risk all your hard work in the squat and bench jsut to put up a bigger opener on your pull??? Like I actually can not see ANY reason why you would want to open wih a heavy first pull. None at all. It’s not like it’ll count towards you total. Not to mention the extra energy wasted that could have been kept in the tank for a big second and thrid attempt.

If you’re worried about having a big opener to contribute towards your total then you’re not doing a good job at selecting your attempts.