Choosing Between Two Part Time Jobs

I just started another semester of college a week ago and I am taking 16 units. About a month ago I picked up a job at a grocery store being paid 10.50 an hour. Its okay I just feel like a piece of sh*t bagging people’s groceries and being told how to bag them by customers… The people I work with are pretty cool though. Now, Im being offered a valet job at a restaraunt. Its not a fancy restaraunt but a pretty popular one. I think I will be paid 8-9/hour but I will get tips. Also, the shifts will be thurs, fri, sat, sun from like 6pm to midnight or later. At the grocery store my hours are pretty flexible but I never work that late, the latest is usually 10pm. Which job would you guys pick? I can only have one due to my full school load and conflict of jobs. Which sounds better?

Pros of Valet:
Tips
Can do homework while waiting
Work less than grocery store
Drive nice cars

Pros of Grocery:
Higher hourly pay
If I transfer to a University I could probably transfer jobs

Valet, When having the choice between two jobs like this always take the one with tips, You will actually MOST of your income on tips alone, Let alone the fact that you get to drive some crazy ass cars why the heck would you NOT choose Valet?!

It also depends on what you mind yourself though, If you do not mind working a bit later then Valet is the way to go for sure… At 10.50 an hour though thats really good pay for a grocery store always thought they payed min. wage.

It depends, do you like to go out on the weekends? Working till midnight can kill your weekends. If it were me I would take the grocery one because $10.50 is pretty good to bag groceries and you can have nights off. That’s just me though and I hated working late when I had a job like that.

Valet

Tipstipstips and, maybe, the occasional tipsy cougar.

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
I just feel like a piece of sh*t bagging people’s groceries and being told how to bag them by customers… [/quote]

so what your saying is you suck at customer service and proly do a shit job…

I loved being a bagger, i got tips all the time, could walk around the store “cleaning” during slow times, and got paid less then half what you are less then 13 years ago…

[quote]orion wrote:
Valet

Tipstipstips and, maybe, the occasional tipsy cougar. [/quote]

I do agree with this however, but mainly just for he cougar part…

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:
I just feel like a piece of sh*t bagging people’s groceries and being told how to bag them by customers… [/quote]

so what your saying is you suck at customer service and proly do a shit job…

I loved being a bagger, i got tips all the time, could walk around the store “cleaning” during slow times, and got paid less then half what you are less then 13 years ago…

[/quote]

No. Lol. Actually my supervisors have given me multiple compliments and talking tos about how well I am doing. I’ve also gotten some compliments from customers about how “great of a bagger I am” but still I feel like a piece of crap… I might start the valet on a night where I don’t work at the grocery store and just see between the two of them and then choose which I like more. At this point I’m dreading work everyday

I worked valet as a summer job during high school and it was great. Got tips, drove lots of nice cars, learned how to drive better than 90% of the population, got to run all day. You can get your cardio in while you work, two birds, one stone.

Grocery. Working late night weekends through college will suck worse than bagging, especially if you transfer to a university.

[quote]CargoCapable wrote:
Grocery. Working late night weekends through college will suck worse than bagging, especially if you transfer to a university.[/quote]

The thing is. I will only be working this job while I’m at junior college so hopefully one more semester. After that I’m moving and I will have to find something else. And right now while living at home the money I’m making I’m just saving.

For those of you who have worked valet before. What tips did you make on average on a thurs, fri, or sat?

I have several buddies that do valet parking; I have to say it is kind of random and dependent on where you are working. They worked for a company that would send them out to different events and places that would need Valets; I think on average it depends, The standard is about 5 dollars tip when returning cars… So it depends on the amount of cars you would be moving around in a night, maybe 40-60 dollars a night…

Hi little buddy,

I think your decision will depend on how you cope with late nights. I would prefer the valet job, however if you dont like late nights then maybe it will be best to stick with the groceries. I suppose it also depends on how intense your studying is, and what time schedule you are on for the rest of the week.

Let me know how you go.

Uncle Bird

tweet

[quote]BallinBoss wrote:

[quote]CargoCapable wrote:
Grocery. Working late night weekends through college will suck worse than bagging, especially if you transfer to a university.[/quote]

The thing is. I will only be working this job while I’m at junior college so hopefully one more semester. After that I’m moving and I will have to find something else. And right now while living at home the money I’m making I’m just saving.[/quote]
If money is your goal and you don’t care about weekends, take the highest paying job then.