Choosing a Doctor?

Wasn’t sure where to post this, so since I’m 37 I figured I’d post it here.

I’ve recently moved and need to find a new primary care physician. I’ve got a PPO plan, so I can pretty much go to anyone I want.

How did you folks go about picking a doc? Since most primary care docs have some specialty, is there one better than the other - i.e. gastro, internal medicine, etc…

I hate going to the doctor, and haven’t been in some time, but I realize the importance of getting regular checkups and tests now that I’m getting older.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly?

I ask someone I know locally who they recommend.

Outside of that - ignore all advice.

[quote]mikeland wrote:
Wasn’t sure where to post this, so since I’m 37 I figured I’d post it here.

I’ve recently moved and need to find a new primary care physician. I’ve got a PPO plan, so I can pretty much go to anyone I want.

How did you folks go about picking a doc? Since most primary care docs have some specialty, is there one better than the other - i.e. gastro, internal medicine, etc…

I hate going to the doctor, and haven’t been in some time, but I realize the importance of getting regular checkups and tests now that I’m getting older.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Definately personal recommendations are the best and safest way of choosing a good doctor. Then arrange for an office visit for a checkup and see if you like him or not. On most every plan you can change your PCP as often as each month, so you don’t have to worry about being “locked in.”

Take care and stay healthy!