T Nation

Choosing a Belt

Hello everyone,

The time has come when I need my own lifting belt and I’d like to make the right purchase. After watching this video (lol) lever belts are out of the question.

So i’m now in doubt between single/double prong and 10mm VS 13mm. If it means anything i lift raw and will be competing under IPF regulations (they allow 13mm) >93Kg and/or >105Kg class, i’m 1.86m tall.
Is there that much of a difference between 10 and 13 mm? I’m used to thinner bbing crappy belts, should I go for 10mm then?

Brand wise i was looking at Inzer products (i’d happily buy from elitefts but the shipping costs to europe are just too high) any recomendations on where to buy online in europe?

Thank you all.

Personally I went with a 10mm lever (inzer). The guy in the video is an idiot and should have just had the belt a notch looser. It’s definitely nice to have the convenience of the lever though I also have a single prong as well for times when my weight is fluctuating a lot (making weight for meets).

10mm definitely gives the support I need and I don’t think I’d go to 13mm unless I was in the upper weight classes or I went multi-ply. Single prong will do the job just as much as a double prong only you don’t have to try and fit two prongs so I’d get that for the sake of simplicity.

He’s wearing an inzer ratchet belt, not a lever belt! You could most likely unhook a lever belt even if the lever fails.

I personally couldn’t imagine anything but a lever belt.

Thank you for your replies, i just wanted to make clear that the video thing was just a joke, i just thought that lever belts wouldn’t be worth the price difference, but i’m indeed interested in hearing your opinions.

I love my lever belt. It’ll out last me.

13mm inzer lever belt FTW. man up

the ONLY downside to lever belts is if you frequently need/want to change what hole you belt to as it takes >1minute to change. I love mine though.

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
the ONLY downside to lever belts is if you frequently need/want to change what hole you belt to as it takes >1minute to change. I love mine though.[/quote]

Yah it can be a pain at times. Usually if I need it looser I just pop the lever and use it that way. If my weight is fluctuating a ton (like now with me making weight coming up) then I’d want to use a single prong - which is why I’ll be buying one of those sometime in the future. For the most part though the lever is great.

I have used the 10mm and the 13mm Inzer belts. Once the belts but more specifically the 13mm are broke in there is really not much difference between the two as far as I can tell. They both are excellent belts and will serve you as long as you don’t outgrow them. I would recommend that you get a single prong belt. Having to mess around getting two prongs in and out of the holes can be bothersome.

The lever belts are cool but for me going raw, single ply, or getting in my Ace squatter sometimes on the same day can be aggravating on adjusting the lever assembly. Some would argue that the lever belt is great for deadlifting and it is I’m sure. What I do for my regular belts is simply suck in my gut and spin the belt around so that the buckle is around back.

One tip tho… I’d consider getting one size larger than the chart says so that you can grow into it or if you get into gear you’ll have a little room. The thing with belts is they can be tightened up but can’t always be bigger. as far as sizing goes the sizing charts are such that the measurements given would put the belt into the middle holes. In my Ace suit I go from middle hole raw to the last hole in the suit. Something to consider for sure. Hope this helps…

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
the ONLY downside to lever belts is if you frequently need/want to change what hole you belt to as it takes >1minute to change. I love mine though.[/quote]

Yah it can be a pain at times. Usually if I need it looser I just pop the lever and use it that way. If my weight is fluctuating a ton (like now with me making weight coming up) then I’d want to use a single prong - which is why I’ll be buying one of those sometime in the future. For the most part though the lever is great.[/quote]

Changing it is somewhat of a pain in the ass (if you consider one minute a pain in the ass). I prefer my belt tighter for deadlifts than squats, but that’s good at meets since deadlifts are last…I can just eat oreos all meet until I grow into it! No adjustments necessary.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

…I can just eat oreos all meet until I grow into it! No adjustments necessary.[/quote]

This is awesome!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I can just eat oreos all meet until I grow into it! No adjustments necessary.[/quote]

That sounds like the kind of thing i could do

Thank you all for the advice. So lever seems to be worth the cost and “extra work”.
What about brands? any other options other than inzer?

Titan “toro” belt… all are about $70

I have a 13mm Inzer lever and I love it. It was really easy to break in and it gives good support.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Personally I went with a 10mm lever (inzer). The guy in the video is an idiot and should have just had the belt a notch looser. It’s definitely nice to have the convenience of the lever though I also have a single prong as well for times when my weight is fluctuating a lot (making weight for meets).

10mm definitely gives the support I need and I don’t think I’d go to 13mm unless I was in the upper weight classes or I went multi-ply. Single prong will do the job just as much as a double prong only you don’t have to try and fit two prongs so I’d get that for the sake of simplicity.[/quote]

My thoughts. I have an Inzer 10 mm lever and a ratchet belt. I use the ratchet when I’m between lever settings because I’m to lazy to change it, haha!

Ok guys, i’m now all for the lever belt, but i really need somewhere to order it from that doesn’t charge 107$ for shipping. I see plenty of european lifters wearing Inzer belts but i just fail to find an online store.

*house of pain sends it for 40 bucks…via usps

I just googled “powerlifting belts, europe” and found a shit load of info one in Particular stood out to me… a Metal europe web site. Maybe you do the same and get a belt yeah…

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I just googled “powerlifting belts, europe” and found a shit load of info one in Particular stood out to me… a Metal europe web site. Maybe you do the same and get a belt yeah…[/quote]

sure, and when you look more in depth most of them charge you the same rates, don’t sell inzer (my prefered brand) or nobody has heard of them.

Thanks a lot everyone, i’ve finally got it sorted out. No more anooying posts by now :slight_smile: