T Nation

Cholesterol Results

Sorry not sure of the best forum to post this,

Can anyone help me read my cholesterol results please?

I got my bloods done on the side (without going through a doctor) So I have no doctor to speak to about the results.

The only thing I am not sure of is the HDL ratio, these results are British so sorry if the numbers are not right for you American guys.

My total cholesterol is 6.3 mmol/L

HDL cholesterol is 0.7 mmol/L

Total chol:HDL ratio 9.0

Now I know that in the UK your chol should be below 5, and anything above 7 is normally treated with medication.

Which figure should I be looking at? the 6.3 or the 9.0?

Cheers

The total cholesterol is a little high, but not in the danger zone.

The fact that the HDL is 0.7 is what I’d focus on. A good level would be twice that.

Ok great thanks for that, I know how to reduce cholestrol high foods in diet, but to increse HDL would this mean increasing my intake of fish oils for example?

Cheers

how about a conversion for us americans

how about a conversion for us americans

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Ok great thanks for that, I know how to reduce cholestrol high foods in diet, but to increse HDL would this mean increasing my intake of fish oils for example?

Cheers[/quote]

Yes EE probably increase or add fish oils, omega 3’s and the like to your diet.

My cardiologist keeps yelling diet and exercise is the only way to bring HDL up.

Nice cheers Mr Bill, for Us conversion isn’t it X 70?

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Total chol:HDL ratio 9.0[/quote]

This is a serious red flag, E_E.

You’re shooting for something closer to 3:1 here, which means lowering your total cholesterol levels – plenty of fish oil, plenty of raw almonds, walnuts etc, fruits, oats, beans – and ALSO raising your HDLs – frequent, low-intensity cardio is an 100% effective option here, though you may also want to experiment with a time-release niacin supplement.

It’s your 6.3 number you need to lower below 5.

Don’t you use AAS? That’ll wreak havoc on your cholesterol.

I recommend virgin coconut oil. You can get it super cheap from Puritan’s Pride (www.puritan.com) when they have sales (which is pretty much always). It’s been shown to raise HDL cholesterol quite substantially.

I’m sure you have all the other basics covered: fish oil, cardio, overall diet, etc., so I’ll just mention the VCO.

All I know is that the occasional fiber shake & 35 grams of fish oil (minimum) per week is what I use and my cholesterol is famous!

All in all, I support what Brandrake said. You need to up your HDL.

But interestingly enough, my dad has been freaking out about his total cholesterol, but his HDL is unbelievably high.

Obviously both total and HDL are important, but IMO if your HDL is ridiculously high, a high total cholesterol is less of a risk factor, especially when one considers that academic literature corroborates that high cholesterol levels do not necessarily lead to atherosclerosis.

Of course, consult your doctor and know your family history.

Thanks very much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
I recommend virgin coconut oil. You can get it super cheap from Puritan’s Pride (www.puritan.com) when they have sales (which is pretty much always). It’s been shown to raise HDL cholesterol quite substantially.[/quote]

I knew there was a reason I paid close attention to Schwarz’s posts. Thanks as usual man.

x2 on coconut oil. Very healthy MCT saturated fat. Make sure its virgin though.