Cholesterol Issues and Many More

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Thanks for all the info so far guys…what do you think would be a good amount of calories for me to take in daily…I can afford to lose a few pounds right now since I have awhile before next season starts up but I gotta maintain most of my body weight…Also, I have read tons of different opinions on amount of protein needed per day…

Some places say 1 gram per pound of body weight, some say 1.5 grams per pound…some say 1 gram per pound of lean body weight…what is your opinion?

Last question, what is a good breakdown per day for my calories coming from protein, fat and carbs.

thanks alot for all the help[/quote]

How many calories are you consuming currently?
Honestly, there isn’t really an upper limit to how much protein you can consume. Eat as much per day as you possibly can.

Don’t worry about exact ratios. Think more about meal type/composition. Aside from whatever carbs you’re taking in the morning and before/after training, make all the other meals meat and veggies with maybe a little good fat (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) added. Eat until you’re full and the numbers will take care of themselves.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Nurse said “fantastic”… so is it as near as you can get to 1:1 is best?

I am high fat and low carb and eat 2 eggs EVERY day with bacon. I had cholesterol in the 290s with low HDL about 3 years ago… but that was before I started working out and eating low carb. I was generally an unhealthy slob. [/quote]

Yes, the lower LDL:HDL the better. Very impressive HDL you’ve got there. My own numbers were 68/111, which is pretty good. I eat 6 scrambled eggs a day with butter and drink 5-6 cups whole milk. I take Cod Liver Oil, also. I used to cook with coconut oil on a regular basis. Haven’t done that in a while, though.

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Thanks for all the info so far guys…what do you think would be a good amount of calories for me to take in daily…I can afford to lose a few pounds right now since I have awhile before next season starts up but I gotta maintain most of my body weight…[/quote]

All depends on your metabolism. How many do you take in now?

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Some places say 1 gram per pound of body weight, some say 1.5 grams per pound…some say 1 gram per pound of lean body weight…what is your opinion?[/quote]

Def. at least 1.5 grams/lb for you. Most likely closer to 2. If you’re going to cut carbs you will need to replace them with something.

[quote]PSYCH0_GUY wrote:
Last question, what is a good breakdown per day for my calories coming from protein, fat and carbs.[/quote]

A good weight loss breakdown for someone your size would be this:

22C/42F/35P

At 4500 kcal/day that nets you:

1000 cal/250g carbs
1900 cal/211g fat
1600 cal/400g protein

If you don’t start leaning out, then take carb intake even lower.