Choice: 4-day split or OVT?

How does this routine look?

I am either doing THIS routine, or OVT. I’m kind of new to lifting (5 months), 16 years old, 5’8" and 135lbs. I’m on a bulking diet, and eating up a storm!

I was thinking of keeping all rep schemes between 6-8, is this reccomended as well?

Thanks. Here’s the 4-way split, in case you’re wondering.

Monday - chest/triceps

Dips x 3
Bench press x 3
Incline DB press x 3
Close grip benchpress x 3
Tricep Kickbacks x 3

Wednesday - back/biceps/forearms

Deadlift x 3
Chins x 3 (wide grip)
Barbell row x 3
Shrugs x 3
Barbell curls x 3
Concentration Curls x 3
Behind back wrist curls x 3

Friday - legs/shoulders

DB Squats x 3
Leg extension x 3
Leg curl x 3
Standing calf raises x 3
Shoulder Press x 3
Side laterals x 2
Rear laterals x 2

Thanks for the input/advice!

I consider OVT to be a somewhat advanced routine. Search for ‘Dawg School’ off the main page, and start reading back issues for more basic splits.

Like, say, these:

DI

Your split looks decent, but having used OVT personally with great results, that is what I recommend. Chad Waterbury nows his stuff.
Hope this helps,
LW

OVT is actually CT’s program. Waterbury’s routine is Anti-BB.

DI

I read all the dawg school articles, and I am actually quite well-read! I’m just new to lifting… but my fascination and dedication is obsessive, I know a ton (I’ve read a LOT of the articles on this site already, go to the MH forums constantly, post on BII, bodybuilding.com, etc).

So, anyone else? Opinions/suggestions?

The benefit to my 4-day split is, well, it’s EASIER (no need to superset or look weird in front of friends). But if you think the OVT would pack on some serious size/strength, I’ll go for it.

What would you guys suggest for: a) strength and b) size? Thanks! Keep the responses up (I promise this will be my last workout routine post!)

Try it! You’ll discover in a hurry if this 4-day split is appropriate to you, and far more quickly than I could admonish.

But if I had to venture a guess…

Dips will kill heavy bench work. Wrist curls behind the back have a poor range of motion, as do tricep kickbacks. Dumbbell squats are peachy, but I wonder why not the BB variant…? Similarly, don’t get too enthralled with wide chins; close grip is, to me at least, even more effective at building lat width.

3 sets is an arbitrary number; it may NOT be appropriate for every muscle group. As a matter of fact, it almost certainly isn’t.

Instinctive training is just fine, but don’t leave out the details. You may decide to give up somewhere around rep 6 if you don’t have 8 written down in the your log.

DI

Crap! I posted the wrong routine!

here’s what I was going to do, scratch my former post!

Monday
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Stiff-Leg Deadlifts

Tuesday
Bench Press
Incline DB Press
Dips
Close-grip Bench
Skullcrushers

Thursday
Deadlift
BB Rows
Pullups
DB Rows
Barbell Curls
Incline DB Curls

Friday
Seated DB Press
Side Laterals
Rear Laterals
Shrugs
Calf Raises

Please, look at it now… sorry about the slipup before.