T Nation

Chocolate Milk and PWO?

A lot of people have been advocating chocolate milk after a workout due to the carbs and the casein/whey blend in the milk but I was always told that milk after a workout is not good because it slows absorption of nutrients in your body which post workout is not ideal.

So why is chocolate milk better? Does the the sugar in milk help balance that out? Or is it good, but whey protein with water and something like gatorade is simply better? Im not claiming anything by the way, just curious.

Nothing wrong with low fat chocolate milk. I’d post a link to a study, but I’m 100% sure the link won’t make it through moderation.

So its the fat that causes nutrients to be absorbed slowly? Good to know.

It’s probably just the sugar in it providing the neccessary PWO carbs, no difference than consuming your milk/whey then downing a glucose source.

Personally I just have vanilla whey with 1% milk, blended with a banana for carbs. And it tastes like a banana milkshake.

I think I remember this study… It was measuring recovery of chocolate milk vs Gatorade (or something like it) PWO. So yeah, obviously the chocolate milk, which is protein/carbs, would be better than Gatorade (just carbs).

Calories/added carbs being equal, whey is better than chocolate milk IMO.

Found it… Won’t post link but quote should suffice:

“Fat-free chocolate milk beat out carbohydrate sports drinks at helping to rebuild and refuel muscles after exercise, researchers report.”

but was it raw chocolate milk :smiley:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
I think I remember this study… It was measuring recovery of chocolate milk vs Gatorade (or something like it) PWO. So yeah, obviously the chocolate milk, which is protein/carbs, would be better than Gatorade (just carbs).

Calories/added carbs being equal, whey is better than chocolate milk IMO.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s the Gatorade comparison that is the problem here…

[quote]roon12 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

Calories/added carbs being equal, whey is better than chocolate milk IMO.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s the Gatorade comparison that is the problem here…[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand what you mean…

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]roon12 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean…[/quote]

Ha, Google is your friend here as I won’t be able to post links. A while ago a certain author published an article comparing chocolate milk to a certain product on this site.

[quote]roon12 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]roon12 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean…[/quote]

Ha, Google is your friend here as I won’t be able to post links. A while ago a certain author published an article comparing chocolate milk to a certain product on this site.
[/quote]

Ohhh, gotcha.

Yeah, google “chocolate milk” and “Alan Aragon”. Big broo ha ha…

If you have any lactose intolerance problems though, Surge Recovery is superior. :slight_smile: