T Nation

Chocolate and Chillis

Time to start a new log. I’ll begin with a brief recap and a link to the old one: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_senior/mashed_potatoes_and_broken_glass

Competitive powerlifting since Fall 2008. Best competition lifts (equipped) are:
Squat: 142.5 kg (313 lbs)
Bench: 80 kg (176 lbs)
Deadlift: 165 kg (363 lbs)

Best training unequipped lifts
Squat: 240lbs
Bench: 130lbs
Deadlift: 285lbs

Current body weight as of this morning: 134 lbs. Current weight class 63 kgs (138.6lbs) Goal is to get to the tippy top of my weight class.

Next planned meet is the Toronto Invitational at the Convention Centre in June.

Today’s training was brief:

Front squats
bar-10
115
135
137.5
140
142.5
145
147.5
150
All for 5 reps - 150 was a 2 rep PR. Last week I couldn’t get more than 3.
152.5-3 reps

Enjoy the baggy pants video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_hK2AmGcdI&feature=youtube_gdata

High pulls
bar-3x15

Band face pulls
3x25

I was happy with the squatting because my erectors were kind of smoky from the squatting last night. 115 felt heavy but then I hit a groove.

First in. On the second set I thought for a second you were about to lose control on your left side.

I tried front squats a few months ago and shit! I had 115lbs to start, used foam padding and still had brutally beat up bruising for days afterwards. come to think of it, I used the crossed arm form for it.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
First in. On the second set I thought for a second you were about to lose control on your left side.

I tried front squats a few months ago and shit! I had 115lbs to start, used foam padding and still had brutally beat up bruising for days afterwards. come to think of it, I used the crossed arm form for it.[/quote]

Watching the video it did look like my left side was dropping a bit which is odd because it’s my right elbow that’s giving me grief at the moment.

If you have the flexibility, try a clean grip. I’ve never been able to master a crossed arm hold. It feels too wobbly. However, a clean grip will start to bother the tendons in my wrists.

2nd in !

was your left side hurting? arm / elbow wasn’t as high? I use the cross arm stance also, I’d break my wrists doing that.

More speed huh? :slight_smile:

Nice squatting!

I never got to say it in the last log, congratulations on the engagement!

Congrats to you both

I like the PJ videos
nice work

Great work on the front squats, a +2 PR from a week ago is big.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Great work on the front squats, a +2 PR from a week ago is big.[/quote]

Thanks Joe. Front squats seems like a use it or lose it lift.

Hey O, congrats on the engagement. Are you guys getting married inside a squat rack? That’d be novel :wink:

I heard a man talking in that video! Took away from my private moment.

congrats!

[quote]print wrote:
I heard a man talking in that video! Took away from my private moment.[/quote]

That’s BB, my future husband. He hasn’t chewed his way out yet :slight_smile:

Nice job on the front squats, just haven’t felt comfortable doing those yet, I gotta get back to them.
Congrats on the engagement as well. Future husband, training partner, video coordinater…

[quote]ddot76 wrote:
Hey O, congrats on the engagement. Are you guys getting married inside a squat rack? That’d be novel ;-)[/quote]

Haha, that’s a good one.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

On the squat.

And I suppose the engagement is cool too…

:smiley:

Congrats on the engagement! So tell us about the guy?

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Congrats on the engagement! So tell us about the guy?[/quote]

Thanks very much. The guy posts here periodically under bigbencher. We’ve been together for a few years and met in the sport. We had the privilege of competing together last fall at the IPF world masters championship. Also, he’s made me a step grandma. :slight_smile:

Saturday March 10

Deadlift
135-5
185-3
225-2
275-1 add suit bottoms/no belt
295-2

DL for speed
245-8x3

Circuit - Total of three circuits 8 reps each

SLDL at 210

BO DB rows at 40/hand

Supinated grip band pull downs

Good mornings at 135

Finished with suitcase deadlifts
bar-8
65-2x8

Video is the 295 in suit bottoms and the last circuit. There’s a crap ton of English on the rows but oh well. They really kick my ass.

Hey your a strong lass! I don’t know how much you are resting in between sets but if i were training you I’d go to 3 to 5 minutes… This is given your training for strength… You got good determination

[quote]silee wrote:
Hey your a strong lass! I don’t know how much you are resting in between sets but if i were training you I’d go to 3 to 5 minutes… This is given your training for strength… You got good determination[/quote]

Normally I rest that much between sets when the intensity goes up. However, the circuits dictated by the Coan-Phillipi are short rest and light weight. They’re a bit new to me and kind of a struggle since we tend to train differently.