T Nation

Chlorophyll?

Just on a lark, I bought some NOW super concentrated liquid chlorophyll supplement, which is derived from alfalfa and has peppermint oil for flavor. When I add it to a chocolate protein shake I get a minty chocolate flavor.

After using it for a few days, I am wondering, has anybody had further experience with supplementing chorophyll, and can I expect any further benefits than the stuff making my farts smell like a fresh mountain breeze? Or is all that crap about detoxifying effects just common quackery?

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
Just on a lark, I bought some NOW super concentrated liquid chlorophyll supplement, which is derived from alfalfa and has peppermint oil for flavor. When I add it to a chocolate protein shake I get a minty chocolate flavor.

After using it for a few days, I am wondering, has anybody had further experience with supplementing chorophyll, and can I expect any further benefits than the stuff making my farts smell like a fresh mountain breeze? Or is all that crap about detoxifying effects just common quackery?[/quote]

Chlorophyll is in a lot of the really darker greens. It’s great for your lungs- especially if you live in more polluted areas. I eat a lot of greens and juice wheat grass though, so I don’t see a need to take a chlorophyll supplement.

Damn, I must really be out of the loop… what the heck would you use chlorophyll for?

“Chlorophyll? More like BOREophyll.”

[quote]SBT wrote:
Damn, I must really be out of the loop… what the heck would you use chlorophyll for?

“Chlorophyll? More like BOREophyll.”[/quote]

If you’re a plant it’s good for photosynthesis.

[quote]SBT wrote:

“Chlorophyll? More like BOREophyll.”[/quote]

Chlorophyll, a substance found exclusively in plants, has a structure similar to hemoglobin, the substance in blood that is responsible for transporting oxygen.

During the 1940s, researchers found that consuming chlorophyll enhances the body’s ability to produce hemoglobin, thus improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

Another good reason to eat your greens.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
SBT wrote:

Chlorophyll, a substance found exclusively in plants, has a structure similar to hemoglobin, the substance in blood that is responsible for transporting oxygen. During the 1940s, researchers found that consuming chlorophyll enhances the body’s ability to produce hemoglobin, thus improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

[/quote]

Chlorophyll and hemoglobin are not even remotely alike.

Are we just going to use make believe biochemistry to justify whatever whimsy we feel now?

http://medind.nic.in/ibv/t04/i7/ibvt04i7p716.pdf

I’m still skeptical, but it does look interesting.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
SBT wrote:

Chlorophyll, a substance found exclusively in plants, has a structure similar to hemoglobin, the substance in blood that is responsible for transporting oxygen. During the 1940s, researchers found that consuming chlorophyll enhances the body’s ability to produce hemoglobin, thus improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

Chlorophyll and hemoglobin are not even remotely alike.

Are we just going to use make believe biochemistry to justify whatever whimsy we feel now?[/quote]

Make believe biochemistry?
As you can see, I was quoting something that I was reading off of a website about Chlorophyll, referring to it improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

I did, however, notice that what it said about the Chlorophyll structure and Hemoglobin structure being similar wasn’t exactly true and was largely flawed- since Hemoglobin has iron as the center atom and Chlorophyll has magnesium and that hemoglobin is a complex protein and Chlorophyll is not a protein.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
As you can see, I was quoting something that I was reading off of a website about Chlorophyll, referring to it improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.[/quote]

Yes, make believe biochemistry. If the website claims two molecules which are not remotely similar, are similar, and then goes on to make claims about that molecule, you can totally disregard it.

The fact that they have to use medical studies from 60+ years ago ought to be a tip off too. The fact that no endurance athletes load up on chlorophyll ought to be a further tip off that this is total crap.

I mean if chlorophyll increased the efficiency of oxygen transport you’d see endurance atheletes cramming down bucketfulls of leafy greens a few days for competition. Why risk getting caught for doping when you can just eat a salad and get the same benefits as EPO?

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:

I’m still skeptical, but it does look interesting.[/quote]

You can barely trust anything in JAMA or Lancet…you can pretty much assume that the Indian Pediatrics journal sets the peer review bar pretty low.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
As you can see, I was quoting something that I was reading off of a website about Chlorophyll, referring to it improving the efficiency of oxygen transport.

Yes, make believe biochemistry. If the website claims two molecules which are not remotely similar, are similar, and then goes on to make claims about that molecule, you can totally disregard it.

The fact that they have to use medical studies from 60+ years ago ought to be a tip off too. The fact that no endurance athletes load up on chlorophyll ought to be a further tip off that this is total crap.

I mean if chlorophyll increased the efficiency of oxygen transport you’d see endurance atheletes cramming down bucketfulls of leafy greens a few days for competition. Why risk getting caught for doping when you can just eat a salad and get the same benefits as EPO?[/quote]

Like I said earlier, I was trying to copy and paste the part about study that was conducted with the researchers and Chlorophyll, not the information about the structure of Chlorophyll being similar to Hemoglobin, which, like I said, was largely flawed.
Maybe they were refereing to the heme structure. Interestingly enough, it was not a website selling any supplements, but it was a website that was advocating the benefits of eating greens and other produce.
Flawed information or not, if people read that information and believed it to be true and ate more produce, then I think thats actually great.

Surely more studies have to be done on this, but I really don’t care what I see athletes doing.
I see kids in my gym take steroids before they build a solid base.
That doesn’t mean I’m going to. Most athletes don’t know anything about biochemistry or nutrition anyway, so I doubt they’d be cramming down greens in the first place- although many bodybuilders do eat a lot of greens.

If you read my first post, you’d see that I told him that there was NO point in taking a Chlorophyll supplement if he was already eating plenty of dark greens.

don’t read indian med journals…

Why would anyone need more chloriphyll than they would get in a diet with a healthy amount of green vegitables?

[quote]dancar wrote:
Why would anyone need more chloriphyll than they would get in a diet with a healthy amount of green vegitables?[/quote]

Again. That was the point that I made. If you eat enough greens, there is no point for supplementation.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

I mean if chlorophyll increased the efficiency of oxygen transport you’d see endurance atheletes cramming down bucketfulls of leafy greens a few days for competition. Why risk getting caught for doping when you can just eat a salad and get the same benefits as EPO?[/quote]

Seems to work for the Incredible Hulk.

[quote]rg73 wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:

I’m still skeptical, but it does look interesting.

You can barely trust anything in JAMA or Lancet…you can pretty much assume that the Indian Pediatrics journal sets the peer review bar pretty low.[/quote]

Never said I was trusting it, especially from an Indian Journal I never heard about before.

When I lived in Japan, I befriended a kid at my school and he received chlorophyll injections in his ass everyday! No joke, I witnessed it so many times and all his brothers had one too. At sleep overs, his mother always offered me, but I kindly declined everytime and just took a handful of the liquid caps instead.

I remember biting into the caps and not really tasting anything, but making sure that I swished it in my mouth before ingesting it to temporarily stain my teeth green. When you’re 6 or 7 it was a lot of fucking fun having green teeth.

Their grandfather was a MD and biochemist who patented a protocol of of purifying it from plants and started a company ages and ages ago. I can’t remember his last name or the company name, so I’ll dash them an email.

Anyways, that was like more than 20 years ago and this family still swears by it. And all his brothers including my friend are fairly muscular healthy guys for being Japanese. Now that they are older, they don’t do any ass injections by mother, but once in a while they still take the green liq caps.

All in all, it is basically a phytochemical supplement/tonic and will keep ya healthy overall.

[quote]florianopolis wrote:
When I lived in Japan, I befriended a kid at my school and he received chlorophyll injections in his ass everyday! No joke, I witnessed it so many times and all his brothers had one too. At sleep overs, his mother always offered me, but I kindly declined everytime and just took a handful of the liquid caps instead.

I remember biting into the caps and not really tasting anything, but making sure that I swished it in my mouth before ingesting it to temporarily stain my teeth green. When you’re 6 or 7 it was a lot of fucking fun having green teeth.

Their grandfather was a MD and biochemist who patented a protocol of of purifying it from plants and started a company ages and ages ago. I can’t remember his last name or the company name, so I’ll dash them an email.

Anyways, that was like more than 20 years ago and this family still swears by it. And all his brothers including my friend are fairly muscular healthy guys for being Japanese. Now that they are older, they don’t do any ass injections by mother, but once in a while they still take the green liq caps.

All in all, it is basically a phytochemical supplement/tonic and will keep ya healthy overall. [/quote]

Shots in my butt is where I draw the line.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:

After using it for a few days, I am wondering, has anybody had further experience with supplementing chorophyll, and can I expect any further benefits than the stuff making my farts smell like a fresh mountain breeze? Or is all that crap about detoxifying effects just common quackery?[/quote]

Sounds like a good way to waste some money trying to get that extra 1%. Why not eat some spinach? By the way the peppermint oil in that supp might lower your testosterone. That’s why women use spearmint and peppermint oils and teas to treat hirsutism. Where will the circuses get their bearded lady now?