T Nation

Chiropractor/Training Question

I just saw a Chiropractor on Friday and will be seeing him again today to help with some lower back pain I have. Pain isn't constant and I've dealt with it for a few years. The Chiropractor suggests I only do upper body training that doesn't involve the lumbar(so no push press or standing exercises I'm assuming) or nothing for 21 days until the muscles fully heal from the adjustment. Is this standard? Or can I start training earlier?

I don't want to stop completely because I just got into the groove and I feel that missing all this time will throw me back off track.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well the chiropractor said everyone heals at different rates, but the medical books would say 21 days. Never gave a hard number, just that I should avoid them for some time until I heal. He also said it would take several adjustments since I waited so long. This week I plan to go in 2-3 times to get it taken care of. If I just take the week off, I can probably get back to my normal routine of squats/deads the following week?

Interesting, my chiros never told me that...hMph.

Do you suggest that for just a routine adjustment as well? Or for those who are injured? My chiros never said that. Curious to hear from someone who lifts a lot and is in the profession b/c none of mine did with vigor. They usually say go at it.

It depends on what his D.C. thinks is the issue. He didn't say to stop lifting completely. Just to avoid lower body work for awhile.

BUT not every chiro is well adept at intense exercise.

Gotta weigh in here I guess... 21 days seems pretty arbitrary. All things being equal in the small amount you described, I (as a DC, with an MS in rehab and a BS in Athletic Training) would keep all things the same, no increase or decrease in training. How else would you know if the treatment is actually effective? Hell yeah you're gonna feel better if you rest it for 3 weeks! This begs the question, did your doc fix you or did the rest allow you to decrease below your symptom threshold, and will the pain come right back?

In acute cases, yes I tell my patient's to rest/modify activity so the tissue can heal, but chronic (ongoing) pain is a different animal than acute pain in the majority of cases. Not all back pain is the same either, so depending on your pain generator, you could do some back work, and avoid other work. Did he tell you what anatomical structure was the problem or was it the old "Bone out of Place" nonsense?

BTW- What exercises should you not do? Obviously any standing work is out because you have to use your lumbar musculature to brace and stabilize while moving your arms. Sounds like the advice was well intentioned, but just a blanket recommendation, if your chiro knows anything about training, get more answers from him, if not, you may want to look for one that can give you specifics, or you can just be noncompliant with his 21 day recommendation if you want to keep training. Don't mean to undermine your confidence in your doc, but you wouldn't be on an internet forum asking for advice if your confidence was already rock solid...Without having you in front of me, I couldn't say, yes this is ok, no this is bad, I could suggest but by no means give you answers.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sad but true haha BBB!

In my class are plenty of people with biology and microbiology degrees. But none seem as well suited for the profession as those who have some sort of hands on background or those in exercise (I have an BS in exercise science).