Chiropractor: Am I Getting Ripped Off?

I trust chiro’s very much. Mine is a sports practitioner and we have at length conversations about anatomy and such. He has been integral in my healing process over the past 4 years.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I trust chiro’s very much. Mine is a sports practitioner and we have at length conversations about anatomy and such. He has been integral in my healing process over the past 4 years.[/quote]

You have been healing for 4 years? I think there is something wrong then.

My experiences with them (and I know a bunch of alternative medicine) is that chiropractic is essentially quackery, but of a polished sort. That is to say, for something relating to your back they have some good practical things they can do. This is why some people swear by them and others, like me, have found them essentially worthless.

However, the theories are largely bogus and most all of them want you to become a regular. So, yes, you are getting ripped off from this guy. If he pulls this off, you’ll be seeing him for forever.

Best course of action is to get a real assessment from a sports med. doctor and see if he knows of someone you should see. If he points you at a chiropractor then it’s probably legit.

– jj

Yeah chiropractors are a load of bs from my reading/experience. Go to a physiotherapist

I’ve been helped immensely from a chiropractor, but I don’t believe it’s necessary to see one on a regular basis. IMO the idea that everyone should is even unethical, but for injuries and acute issues their expertise is invaluable.

I actually feel bad for chiropractors because they can be so helpful, but the medical community treats them like witch doctors. It would be better for chiropractic to become a field under the MD umbrella. That way there could be less of them and they could be put to better use in hospitals etc… where people are regularly told to simply take NSAID’s when they experience spinal issues that a chiropractor could treat.

Both my parents are chiropractors and I’ve picked up a lot of knowledge from them. What my father always said that like bodybuilding you can’t expect results overnight. You obviously have a chronic problem, so the healingproces will be long. The reason why you have to come a lot of times is because he has to adjust your spine a lot because it has gotten back in its bad position.

This is due to the muscles concracting around the spine, who were activated by the nerve which was lodged between the mal-aligned vertebrae. Now the muscle doesnt relax right away, it takes time.
EVERY patient my father sees has to come back several times. He often complains about people not understanding why they have to come back EVEN if it FEELS better. For example you have to change your oil and filters and such for your car once in a while EVEN if you don’t have any problems!

Same thing for the body, you HAVE to stick to it and believe me it WORKS!
Too bad your chiropractor doesn’t realize he has to explain it better to his patients.

So Mike Let the power that made the body, heal the body
and you’ve got to understand it takes TIME

(PS surgery doesn’t work!)

If you’re not satisfied with you chiropractor try another one
but he is probably going to do the same

If you have further doubts don’t hesitate to ask me

V