T Nation

Chins vs Pulls

Which one targets the back better, and which one targets the biceps better? From personal experience I would say chins hit the biceps harder and and the pull hit the lats harder. Opinions please.

There was a recent article that covered this but I can’t find it. To paraphrase: There’s not really any more lat activation in a pull-up vs. a chin-up. In a pull-up, other smaller muscle are giving out so you can’t do as many reps. Therefore, chins are superior for both back and biceps. I would still recommend using several variations. I used to do pronated grip (pulls), then hammer grip, then supinated grip (chins). These days I concentrate my effort on chins and save the alternate grip work for later in the workout. It seems to be working since I’m adding a rep to my max every other week or so.

From what I’ve read, it isn’t necessarily either chins or pulls that work the lats better…it is more a function of how far your arms are apart on the bar. Some say that chins allow one to perform more repetitions, and therefore provide more of an opportunity to work the back, and it is often true that most people who can do either one, can do more chins than pulls.

I do believe that chins tend to work the biceps more than pulls though…although not by a great deal.

At any rate, since few of us could curl our bodyweight, the biceps are playing a minor role at best. In fact, one article I read recently (can’t remember where…sorry) stated that we could probably all do more chins or pulls if we learned to primarily fire our lats and back to complete the move instead of relying on arm power.

What do towel pull/chin-ups target?

Also, how many bodyweight reps should I be able to do in a row before considering getting a weight belt?

Nothing beats heavy weighted chins imo.

[quote]aidensdad wrote:
In fact, one article I read recently (can’t remember where…sorry) stated that we could probably all do more chins or pulls if we learned to primarily fire our lats and back to complete the move instead of relying on arm power.[/quote]

If you are able to do this, then you shouldn’t really be worrying about which one “hits your back” more than your biceps - at that point, it become more a question of variation for the sake of development and progress, as well as staving off routine boredom.

Once you have developed a solid mind-muscle connection for your significant muscles (which should be a priority for us bodybuilders), you can emphasize whatever muscle group you want during an exercise (especially between hand-placement variations) with little effort.

[quote]Digity wrote:

Also, how many bodyweight reps should I be able to do in a row before considering getting a weight belt?[/quote]

Towel pulls/chins are great for frying the forearms.

I bought my weight belt when I was able to do 10 chin-ups (which is usually the maximum rep range I work with), but it really depends on your goals. You can get the belt and work in weighted pull-ups whenever the hell you feel it would be appropriate for YOU.

From Craig rasmas… cant spell it :smiley:

[quote]Digity wrote:
[/quote]

grip strength

I believe this is the article alluded to earlier - “Common Misconceptions”

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/common_exercise_misconceptions_part_2&cr=