Chins/Pull-ups and Bent Over Rows

How exactly do chin/pull ups and bent over rows differ from one another in terms of size gains, strength gains, and all else?

if you’re asking which is the best for back development - they all are good. That doesn’t mean do them all in the same workout, but you could rotate chin/row then pull-up/row.

Standard gym lore is that chins and pullups create width and develop mass higher up the back.
Rows create more depth/ horizontal thickness and especially develop the middle of the back.

The traps and lats are big muscles that move a lot of directions. Gotta hit them all the ways you can.

Strength wise, I feel that chins help me more than anything else. I’m not sure why, but as I’ve gotten better and pull myself up, my pressing has gone up. Rowing movements don’t seem to have the same effect for me.

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Standard gym lore is that chins and pullups create width and develop mass higher up the back.
Rows create more depth/ horizontal thickness and especially develop the middle of the back.[/quote]

QFT

[quote]boyscout wrote:
The traps and lats are big muscles that move a lot of directions. Gotta hit them all the ways you can.

Strength wise, I feel that chins help me more than anything else. I’m not sure why, but as I’ve gotten better and pull myself up, my pressing has gone up. Rowing movements don’t seem to have the same effect for me.[/quote]

Chin ups helped me more with strength gains also I believe. Worked the bi’s and the back tremendously.

Also, there is nothing like the satisfaction you get by being able to do another pullup. It has never felt better being able to do 4-5rep’s of something.

Chins developed my biceps and grip strength more than any other pulling movement