Chins-Dips Instead of . . .

I have finally added a chin, dip, ab station to my home gym.
Dips and chins are killing me. What dumb/barbell lifts can I eliminate on dip and chin days? (I currently drop bench presses with dips…) I got the machine to mix it up a bit, but I am struggling trying to figue out what to drop…(curls? presses…)
Thanks

[quote]fmc wrote:
What dumb/barbell lifts can I eliminate on dip and chin days?
Thanks[/quote]

Umm…all of them?

Honestly, it depends upon your routine. I have a tendency to keep vertical lifts (dips, chins, overhead press, etc) separate from horizontal lifts (bench, rows, flyes, etc), but that is just a personal preference.

Think of it this way: Dips work your chest, chins work your back. It is fully possible to do bench and dips congruently, but it merely means you are doing two chest exercises.

[quote]fmc wrote:
I have finally added a chin, dip, ab station to my home gym.
Dips and chins are killing me. What dumb/barbell lifts can I eliminate on dip and chin days? (I currently drop bench presses with dips…) I got the machine to mix it up a bit, but I am struggling trying to figue out what to drop…(curls? presses…)
Thanks[/quote]

When I am hot and heavy into Chins I never do any sort of curling. I think it’s a safe bet to eliminate Bench Pressing as well as long as you are doing Dips. When I am doing 7 to 9 sets of Pull-ups I never do any sort of rowing.

I have also noticed when I get back to doing things that I leave out I am usually just as strong in those movements as I was when I left them.

After I do a hard chin/dip workout, I finsh with some bodyweight rows and pushups. Sort of a cool down and to work the horizontal movement.

I usually use pull-ups and dips to warm up with on upper body days.
I guess I don’t understand the problem. Can you explain further. Is it a pain thing? Do they leave you feeling weak?

Well crap. I thought this thread was titled ‘Chips-Dips Instead of…’.

It made me hungry.

[quote]Bad John wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the problem. Can you explain further. Is it a pain thing? Do they leave you feeling weak? [/quote]

If you do dips and chins correctly, they tire you just as much as bench presses and rows. If they are too easy, add weights. Trust me, doing weighted chins is not a trivial feat. Try a 10x3 at 80%-90% of your 1RM, or 5x10 at 70% (yes, I love ABBH).

I think ZEB would probably agree that chins and dips are wonderful things, but you still have to use them correctly.

[quote]daven wrote:
Bad John wrote:
I guess I don’t understand the problem. Can you explain further. Is it a pain thing? Do they leave you feeling weak?

If you do dips and chins correctly, they tire you just as much as bench presses and rows. If they are too easy, add weights. Trust me, doing weighted chins is not a trivial feat. Try a 10x3 at 80%-90% of your 1RM, or 5x10 at 70% (yes, I love ABBH).

I think ZEB would probably agree that chins and dips are wonderful things, but you still have to use them correctly.[/quote]

You have to “use them correctly” for your desired goals! If you are trying to replace as many weight lifting movements with body weight movements, for example, I would absolutley add weight! It’s easy to do with both Chins and Dips.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Well crap. I thought this thread was titled ‘Chips-Dips Instead of…’.

It made me hungry.[/quote]

Lifting technique can be very important there too. Especially if they are loaded with salsa, and you are loaded with beer.

I personally do dips after chest work on ‘push’ day and don’t worry about any tricep work after, except maybe some CG bench presses (can you say, “shakey in the lockout”?)

Same with chins, after back work on ‘pull’ day and just 2 sets of DB curls after.

But if you’re referring to pull ups (palms pronated) then I make them a work set, right after bent over rows.

Dips and Chins (CG, supinated) I mainly see as being far superior options to tricep and bicep movements.