Chinese Put Melamine in Protein Powder

I posted this in GAL, though it’s probably much more relevant here. Remember the melamine deal a while back. Well, as I’ve long suspected, the Chinese have been putting melamine into milk and protein powder:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080919/ap_on_re_as/as_china_baby_formula_recall

SHIJIAZHUANG, China - China’s food safety crisis widened Friday after the industrial chemical melamine was found in milk produced by three of the country’s leading dairy companies �?? prompting stores, including Starbucks, to yank milk from their shelves.

But the Food and Drug Administration said it is stepping up inspections at ports as a precaution. Inspectors will be sampling bulk shipments of food ingredients from Asia that are derived from milk, such as milk powder and whey powder.

The FDA also plans to issue a consumer alert warning people not to buy milk products from China on the Internet.

This entire thing pisses me off. I read somewhere else that the Chinese government knew about this ever since the pet food recalls (including melamine in baby formulas), yet kept everything silent in order to maintain a positive image before the olympic games.

Now I know journalism can be fabricated, but considering China’s past, I wouldn’t doubt anything at this point.

I sure hope the brand of whey I use doesn’t have any ingredients from China.

How do you know if your protein powder comes from China?

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
How do you know if your protein powder comes from China?[/quote]

If it is cheap… I would assume it is from China. Biotest probably doesn’t have any of their products made in China.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
How do you know if your protein powder comes from China?[/quote]

Why don’t you ask the person you get protein powder from.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
cpcloud wrote:

Why don’t you ask the person you get protein powder from.[/quote]

Ah ha! But I get mine from True Protein. I shall ask them.

You are fine then, Europe is where they get their powders from.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
You are fine then, Europe is where they get their powders from. [/quote]

Cool thanks.

It’s very true. Several children are sick now, and a few have died from tainted baby formula.

It’s even more fucked up that it is added on purpose and not tainted accidentally.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
cpcloud wrote:

If it is cheap… I would assume it is from China. Biotest probably doesn’t have any of their products made in China.

[/quote]

Absolutely not.

You have to remember the one abiding principle of Biotest:

Tim and I make stuff WE want to use.

And we don’t want to use cheap stuff in our bodies. We use the absolute best stuff. I’d have to check with Tim, but our protein has, in the past, come from New Zealand, Ireland (I believe), or the U.S.

I will tell you this. If your protein powder is cheap, it’s almost surely for one of two reasons:

They’re getting ingredients from China, or…

They’re cutting their product with maltodextrin (in other words, the label might claim 20 grams per scoop, but it’s much less than that because they’re using maltodextrin or some other filler).

[quote]TC wrote:

I will tell you this. If your protein powder is cheap, it’s almost surely for one of two reasons:

They’re getting ingredients from China, or…

They’re cutting their product with maltodextrin (in other words, the label might claim 20 grams per scoop, but it’s much less than that because they’re using maltodextrin or some other filler).

[/quote]

Is there any way I can know if my protein powders are being cut with any other ingredients?

There are lab companies that test out products for you(don’t know specifics). Some companies have failed B-A-D-L-Y compared to label claims.

I know this company is pretty much taboo on this website but does anyone know if BSN or other brands use chinese protein in syntha 6 or their protein? I’ve emailed BSN but yet too receive a response

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
I know this company is pretty much taboo on this website but does anyone know if BSN or other brands use chinese protein in syntha 6 or their protein? I’ve emailed BSN but yet too receive a response[/quote]

That would be par for the course for BSN. Why anyone buys anything from them is beyond me.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
That would be par for the course for BSN. Why anyone buys anything from them is beyond me.[/quote]

Marketing.

Not just normal marketing, but excellent, unscrupulous marketing.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
I know this company is pretty much taboo on this website but does anyone know if BSN or other brands use chinese protein in syntha 6 or their protein? I’ve emailed BSN but yet too receive a response

That would be par for the course for BSN. Why anyone buys anything from them is beyond me. [/quote]

stomach issues, a lot of different protein powder screw my digestive system up(I have crohn’s) I have found that syntha 6 really doesn’t affect my stomach that adversely when compared to other brands. I emailed them but only got an email back saying they’d look into it.

Janda sit-up:that of thoughts?