T Nation

Chinese Olympic Lifting...Wow!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/

It?s amazing just to see how young some of these kids are. They start lifting at 8 years old!

I saw an acupuncturist this winter for some shoulder issues and she did this thing called “cupping”. The inside of a small glass cup is heated slightly and it is placed on body. The treatment is not painful but it leaves a gigantic perfectly circular hickey. A few of those photos show lifters with what looks like tattoos on their shoulders.

Closer view and they are definitely “cupping” hickeys. One photo shows a guy holding a pen with his lower traps. It also shows long bruises on his upper back. This I believe is evidence of another type of treatment called “abbrating” where a Chinese soup spoon is used to scrape an effected area to bring healing to that area.

I came home after a cupping and abbrating treatment and my wife was seriously wondering if I had taken my masochism to the next level. The treatments I got were very effective by the way.

[quote]and1bball4mk wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/

It?s amazing just to see how young some of these kids are. They start lifting at 8 years old![/quote]

It’s awesome isn’t it?! The facility looks badass :D:

My little bro should be a monster.

One of the lightest in his school year at 38kg, but almost certainly one of the strongest and fastest.

Snatch: 32.5Kg in training the other day with triples at 28, 29 and 30 (1/3).

C&J 39Kg for doubles after 35, 38! His PB is 40Kg.

Front Squat 40, 45, 47, 48 for 6reps and a finish with an easy single at 49. 1RM of 50Kg

BP: 25x6, 27x6

Hypers with 10kg on his head.

The secret to training is starting young. he turned 12 2months ago so he’s been lifting for about a year now. We did try to get him to do some basic lifts when he was 6, 7 and 8 but his concentration was lacking :P. He use to train 2x a week but now he is 12 he does 3x a week with me and my other bro.

The past few months we have been pushing him a bit harder. He hardly ever does a 1RM in any of his lifts and exercises. Lots of triples and doubles for the OLifts, and 6reps for squats. An absolute animal.

He hardly ever eats but he eats very little in the way of junk. Just little food in general though…

Should nail 100/120 before he turns 17 easily imo.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Awesome stuff about his little bro
[/quote]

Makes me wish I’d had an older brother like you to get me in a gym and make me work hard. Unconventional!

-Gendou

Yes, starting young is the key, I started lifting heavy shit when I was 13 but only made the move to Oly lifting 8 weeks ago, now Im 15.

so far only done 132/176. Front squatted 275, back squatted 330. i love this sport, I enjoy it more than powerlifting, and I have every intention to gol Olympic.

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
Koing wrote:

Makes me wish I’d had an older brother like you to get me in a gym and make me work hard. Unconventional!

-Gendou[/quote]

Yeah he’s a power house.

Today: 41.8Kg
Snatch: 29Kg good; 31Kg good; 34Kg good;
C&J: 39Kg good; 42kg good; 44kg fail (slight arm lock out, the Clean wa ridiculously sweet, a complete power house getting up)

I wish I started lifting earlier also. I started at 16. I’m 23 now.

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:
Yes, starting young is the key, I started lifting heavy shit when I was 13 but only made the move to Oly lifting 8 weeks ago, now Im 15.

so far only done 132/176. Front squatted 275, back squatted 330. i love this sport, I enjoy it more than powerlifting, and I have every intention to gol Olympic.
[/quote]

Very strong 15yr old!

Do you lift at a club with a coach? Your lifts will get jacked if you commit the time to training :slight_smile:

Koing

Love this photo!!

That’s a pen he’s holding with his lats.

-dizzle

Hen you yisi!

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:
so far only done 132/176.
[/quote]

please say that’s pounds?!?!?!?

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
I saw an acupuncturist this winter for some shoulder issues and she did this thing called “cupping”. The inside of a small glass cup is heated slightly and it is placed on body. The treatment is not painful but it leaves a gigantic perfectly circular hickey. A few of those photos show lifters with what looks like tattoos on their shoulders.

Closer view and they are definitely “cupping” hickeys. One photo shows a guy holding a pen with his lower traps. It also shows long bruises on his upper back. This I believe is evidence of another type of treatment called “abbrating” where a Chinese soup spoon is used to scrape an effected area to bring healing to that area.

I came home after a cupping and abbrating treatment and my wife was seriously wondering if I had taken my masochism to the next level. The treatments I got were very effective by the way. [/quote]

That mark on the lifters back could also be from dumping a squat

[quote]gendou57 wrote:
Koing wrote:

-Gendou[/quote]

I was lucky enough to be a volunteer at the 2003 world championships in Vancouver, since I speak Russian (my Dad is Russian) I helped translate. So I got to talk training and with the coaches whenever there was a chance. I remember one of them telling me that they start their kids lifting at 6-8 years old.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:

I came home after a cupping and abbrating treatment and my wife was seriously wondering if I had taken my masochism to the next level. The treatments I got were very effective by the way. [/quote]

I can attest to the cupping…it looks like shit, but I swear it works! Same goes for accupuncture.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
That’s a pen he’s holding with his lats.

-dizzle[/quote]

lol wait whats that point of that though…or does it just show he has like enough thickness to do that?

[quote]agr117 wrote:
Fuzzy-47 wrote:
so far only done 132/176.

please say that’s pounds?!?!?!?[/quote]

lol id think it’s pounds man…he can front squat 275 and back squat 330. Do you think he can clean and jerk 387lbs? lol.