T Nation

Chinese high pulls VIDEO and TIPS

Here is a video of one of my athlete that I filmed this morning.

The key points are:

1. Powerful launch
  2. As soon as the launch is over, initiate the jump down, do not “hang with the pull”
  3. Bend at the knees, not waist… your knees should be at about a 110-135 degrees angle.
  4. JUMP DOWN, do not just squat down

Thanks CT this video really helps with visualizing what the lift should look like.

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
Thanks CT this video really helps with visualizing what the lift should look like.[/quote]

My pleasure, it was in our session this morning so I decided to snap a quicky for you guys to better learn what the movement is all about.

For me its a much harder movement to learn than the snatch grip high pull was. Trying to use the traps to pull yourself to the bar is awkward for me.

For me its a much harder movement to learn than the snatch grip high pull was. Trying to use the traps to pull yourself to the bar is awkward for me.[/quote]

Yes, technically speaking it is just as hard as an actual snatch. But do not focus on pulling yourself down with the traps, focus on squatting down as soon as you finish the launch, you will use the traps as a reflex

I think thats what I was doing today. The movement actually felt good and had a good stimulation in my traps. I was more focused on slamming my heals into the floor. Have you ever had a cramp in your traps? I finished the HDL with the snatch grip dead lift and then was on my 2nd set of deadstart rows and my left trap started to hurt and felt more like a cramp so I ended my session there.

I think thats what I was doing today. The movement actually felt good and had a good stimulation in my traps. I was more focused on slamming my heals into the floor. Have you ever had a cramp in your traps? I finished the HDL with the snatch grip dead lift and then was on my 2nd set of deadstart rows and my left trap started to hurt and felt more like a cramp so I ended my session there.[/quote]

I had cramps in my splenius, but not the trap itself… but when a muscle cramp during training and that it is not due to dehydration, then it’s indeed a good idea to move on.