Chinese DB Rows

From what I understand, are rows with your hand on your knee, instead of a bench.

ala

(not me)

I tried them yesterday, and loved them. With a little bit of cheating, and trying to explode, while making sure I hit my lats, I feel that I hit them pretty damn well.

Interestingly enough, my glutes are sore too, due to the type of form I was using, and the little push I gave with my legs.

Personally I feel that this exercise will be a great addition to my arsenal. For me, they seem to top regular DB rows for lat activation, and overall body involvement. I can see these being a huge plus for athletes, the movement just seems very very “functional” (hate that word) to me, working the body in a way that hits multiple groups in the way they were intended, while calling upon your core to stabilize the weight.

I dont think Ill be doing DB rows with the support of a bench any time soon.

Anyone else like this exercise?

never done it but it looks pretty groovy.

i only row 80 (lbs) x 12 for my db rows but that’s how i did my db rows before i bought a proper bench

put one foot about a foot or 1.5 feet ahead of the other, rest your spare hand on your knee then lean down and forward as far as you can to begin rowing

unfortunately it’s much easier to cheat on that form than when using a bench and you have to focus on balance so much that it’s difficult to concentrate on the rowing motion

Looks interesting,
But to preferentially hit your lats all you need to do is bring it towards your hips with a slight “arcing”. Bbers have been DB rows using the bench and straps and heavy for reps for ages, because they avoid messing with their lower back in any fashion and allow you to train the upper and middle back hard.

Kroc rows ftw.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
From what I understand, are rows with your hand on your knee, instead of a bench.

ala

(not me)

I tried them yesterday, and loved them. With a little bit of cheating, and trying to explode, while making sure I hit my lats, I feel that I hit them pretty damn well.

Interestingly enough, my glutes are sore too, due to the type of form I was using, and the little push I gave with my legs.

Personally I feel that this exercise will be a great addition to my arsenal. For me, they seem to top regular DB rows for lat activation, and overall body involvement. I can see these being a huge plus for athletes, the movement just seems very very “functional” (hate that word) to me, working the body in a way that hits multiple groups in the way they were intended, while calling upon your core to stabilize the weight.

Anyone else like this exercise? [/quote]

I’ve seen 'em, but never really done 'em like this. I think I’m throwing these in tomorrow. :slight_smile:

I’ve been doing them by default since the 80’s. The bench never felt quite right to me.
I never knew there was a proper name for them. Just Dumbbell Rows.

I still think they’re a bad idea if you’re going heavy. Just my 2 cents. There’s a reason we use a bench to row the 150’s.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
I’ve seen 'em, but never really done 'em like this. I think I’m throwing these in tomorrow. :-)[/quote]

I like how the guy in the video walks up to the DB, sets up, then spins it around like:“Oh, no one well see shit from this angle.” LOL

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Looks interesting,
But to preferentially hit your lats all you need to do is bring it towards your hips with a slight “arcing”. Bbers have been DB rows using the bench and straps and heavy for reps for ages, because they avoid messing with their lower back in any fashion and allow you to train the upper and middle back hard.

Kroc rows ftw.

Defekt wrote:

ala

(not me)

Anyone else like this exercise?

[/quote]

totally out of the fucking blue, but what does ftw mean

for the win. L2 interwebz

[quote]That One Guy wrote:

totally out of the fucking blue, but what does ftw mean[/quote]

For the win

edit: woops! got beat to it…

What exactly is “Chinese” about those DB rows?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
What exactly is “Chinese” about those DB rows? [/quote]

Lead poisoning.

chinese weightlifters do rows this way in quite a few videos. I’ve been doing them this way for a while with 150lbs…working my way to a 20 rep pr

Heres Olympic Champion Shi Zhiyong doing them

[quote]Defekt wrote:

ala

(not me)[/quote]

While the video is entitled 160x10, myself I would call that 160 times zero, as he is not able to complete even the first rep (nowhere near full contraction.) Ten partials, though, anyway.

The photo of the Chinese weightlifter is interesting for the angle and position he is pulling to.

Dude in that pic is pulling mighty high. Way more upper back than most people target with those. I’ve known of these for a long time, but never heard them reffered to as chinese style.

Looks like a pretty good excercise for back and core as well.
Btw the guy of the vid does partials, this cannot qualify as a proper row.

[quote]saroachman wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
What exactly is “Chinese” about those DB rows?

Lead poisoning.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

thank you, I needed that.