China Threatens to Nuke the US

Top Chinese General Warns US Over Attack

Financial Times | July 15, 2005
By Alexandra Harney, Demetri Sevastopulo& Edward Alden

China is prepared to use nuclear weapons against the US if it is attacked by Washington during a confrontation over Taiwan, a Chinese general said on Thursday.

“If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China’s territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons,” said General Zhu Chenghu.

Gen Zhu was speaking at a function for foreign journalists organised, in part, by the Chinese government. He added that China’s definition of its territory included warships and aircraft.

“If the Americans are determined to interfere [then] we will be determined to respond,” said Gen Zhu, who is also a professor at China’s National Defence University.

“We . . . will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian. Of course the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds . . . of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese.”

Gen Zhu is a self-acknowledged “hawk” who has warned that China could strike the US with long-range missiles. But his threat to use nuclear weapons in a conflict over Taiwan is the most specific by a senior Chinese official in nearly a decade.

However, some US-based China experts cautioned that Gen Zhu probably did not represent the mainstream People’s Liberation Army view.

“He is running way beyond his brief on what China might do in relation to the US if push comes to shove,” said one expert with knowledge of Gen Zhu. “Nobody who is cleared for information on Chinese war scenarios is going to talk like this,” he added.

Gen Zhu’s comments come as the Pentagon prepares to brief Congress next Monday on its annual report on the Chinese military, which is expected to take a harder line than previous years. They are also likely to fuel the mounting anti-China sentiment on Capitol Hill.

In recent months, a string of US officials, including Donald Rumsfeld, defence secretary, have raised concerns about China’s military rise. The Pentagon on Thursday declined to comment on “hypothetical scenarios”.

Rick Fisher, a former senior US congressional official and an authority on the Chinese military, said the specific nature of the threat “is a new addition to China’s public discourse”. China’s official doctrine has called for no first use of nuclear weapons since its first atomic test in 1964. But Gen Zhu is not the first Chinese official to refer to the possibility of using such weapons first in a conflict over Taiwan.

Chas Freeman, a former US assistant secretary of defence, said in 1996 that a PLA official had told him China could respond in kind to a nuclear strike by the US in the event of a conflict with Taiwan. The official is believed to have been Xiong Guangkai, now the PLA’s deputy chief of general staff.

Gen Zhu said his views did not represent official Chinese policy and he did not anticipate war with the US.

Additional reporting by Richard McGregor in Beijing

When is China expecting to move into Taiwan anyway?

Bush can’t be that stupid to try to do anything about china and taiwan.

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:
Bush can’t be that stupid to try to do anything about china and taiwan.[/quote]

Have you heard him speak?

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
thabigdon24 wrote:
Bush can’t be that stupid to try to do anything about china and taiwan.

Have you heard him speak?

[/quote]

Yeah let’s not start with the “Bush can’t be that stupid”'s…

Yeah China has been named in the Axis of evil. Which might be true but it doesnt do us any good to perform saber rattling.

" Speak softly and carry a big stick " and smack a bitch when you need to -my add on to a Teddy Roosevelt quote

No matter. All our troops are in the middle east. We wouldn’t have the ability to fight on the front anyway.

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:
Yeah China has been named in the Axis of evil. Which might be true but it doesnt do us any good to perform saber rattling.

" Speak softly and carry a big stick " and smack a bitch when you need to -my add on to a Teddy Roosevelt quote[/quote]

We’ve gotten real good at the big stick and smackin’ a bitch part. Not so much the speak softly part. China is a way bigger problem to the US than Iraq could have ever hoped to be.

Oi!

WMD

Too bad the US is no good at diplomacy…

China is simply positioning itself for future talks.

Bit of a stern comment from the Chinese - wouldn’t expect that.

Either way I personally believe Bush should keep out of it - none of his business.

Oh and he’s an idiot.

the cynical side of me is laughing its ass off w/ the lack of confidence in our presidency.

Vroom, I hope that post was sarcastic. When someone threatens to nuke 100s of your cities you don’t need diplomacy you need to drop another 100 billion in missle defense.

The Pentagon has taken note of the Chinese comments and is evaluating them. Mabey its just a chinese dude w/ a small penis syndrom i dunno. Why would they want to nuke the US? China is has bigger cities than the US and is therefore more vulnerable to nuke war. The chinese appear to actually be a pretty moderate nation; they dont seem to be nearly as aggressive as a lot of countries but yes this nuke comment does alarm me. What also alarms me is the recent buildup of the Chinese milatary. so the pentagon guys are watching lets let this die in the meantime.

For those that don’t know, the US has treaties with Taiwan that would require US intervention against attack.

I really have to echo the statement about leverage in future talks. The US is China’s biggest trading partner. Stopping trade with China would do more damage than an attack could.

Syria, China, Libya Form “Axis of Just As Evil”: http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/axis.shtml

Told you China sucked. You’ll be sorry nobody did anything about the great red/yellow menace.

So let me get this straight: THis dickhead spouts off all this shit and then the article ends with him saying that this is not the official policy of the Chinese Government???

…It sounds to me like someone was drinking too much PiJioh (beer) or BaiJioh (Chinese Liquor)…sorry, my pinyin spelling sucks…

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
When is China expecting to move into Taiwan anyway?[/quote]

My guess is before the olympics in Biejing…but I think all this bravado and shit talking is about Taiwan not using the opportunity to declare Official independence.

The way I got it figured is this: China wants Taiwan…but it also wants the Olympics. Taiwan could try to declare official independance in hopes that if China DOES try to stop it, not only will the economic boost from the olympic games be halted, perhaps there will be anti-China sentiments from the World.

China on the other hand want’s Taiwan back…but knows that Taiwan can use the opportunity to declasre independence for above reasons.

IMHO…this is just to keep Taiwan from breaking free and declaring a formal independance…

-well that’s my opinion as an American living and working in China.

We have plenty of bullets for those motherfuckers. RLTW

rangertab75