T Nation

China Food Scares

From BBC News…

August, 2006: About 40 people in Beijing contract meningitis after eating partially cooked snails at a chain of restaurants
Nov 2006 A dye farmers fed to ducks to make their eggs look fresher is found to contain cancer-causing properties and 5,000 ducks are culled

March 2007 Melamine is found in wheat gluten exports from China for use in pet food, prompting a recall of at least 100 pet food brands

May 2007 China probes reports that contaminated toothpaste was sent to Central America

Is this a case of a society with industry that does not know what it’s doing? More Chinese products are becoming dangerous.

[quote]kroby wrote:

Is this a case of a society with industry that does not know what it’s doing? More Chinese products are becoming dangerous.[/quote]

That is exactly the case. They do not have their act together over there.

[quote]kroby wrote:
From BBC News…

August, 2006: About 40 people in Beijing contract meningitis after eating partially cooked snails at a chain of restaurants
Nov 2006 A dye farmers fed to ducks to make their eggs look fresher is found to contain cancer-causing properties and 5,000 ducks are culled

March 2007 Melamine is found in wheat gluten exports from China for use in pet food, prompting a recall of at least 100 pet food brands

May 2007 China probes reports that contaminated toothpaste was sent to Central America

Is this a case of a society with industry that does not know what it’s doing? More Chinese products are becoming dangerous.[/quote]

You have no idea how many people die in the third world everyday from food-poisoning, lack of hygien and other idiocies now do you?

As for the exports, is it any wonder that trying to deliver ever cheaper products is bound to go wrong at some point?

I used to work for Procter&Gamble in Casablanca Morroco. One day, it was reported to me that a whole truck of moisturizer cans ended up having toothpaste in them. Mix up in the factory. I’m guessing it happens all the time for food products as well. Avoid processed foods like the plague and try to get organic products when possible.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Avoid processed foods like the plague and try to get organic products when possible.[/quote]

Economics 101.

[quote]lixy wrote:

You have no idea how many people die in the third world everyday from food-poisoning, lack of hygien and other idiocies now do you?[/quote]

Well, I read everything I can on the atrocities committed in Darfur.

I’m sure we want cheaper products. I am sure companies want to sell their products as cheap as interest in them continues. I do not think sub-standard (or dangerous) stock is in the interest of any entity wishing to continue to be in business. Is it sloppy? Is it intentional? Is it something else?

You use toothpaste? You eat duck? Eggs? Partially cooked meats? Your fix does not evade the problem. Yes, I understand you may not eat or purchase items made in China. That’s how you stay safe. Perfectly logical. It seems this is more and more the right thing to do.

[quote]lixy wrote:
As for the exports, is it any wonder that trying to deliver ever cheaper products is bound to go wrong at some point?

[/quote]

Nope, no surprise. Chinese quality is typically shit. Going ever cheaper basically ensures this. At some point you have suck up and pay for quality. I’ll avoid food coming from China like the plague…Hey, I made a funny!

[quote]kroby wrote:
Well, I read everything I can on the atrocities committed in Darfur. [/quote]

They hardly qualify for third-world label over there; more like Hell-on-Earth.

My point was that 40 Chinese people dying of food poisoning is nothing compared to the daily pile of deaths in third world countries.

Heck, in the US of A itself, one out of 54,400 die of food poisoning!

we still got some slack for now. But ultimately the giants will continue to buy out the little guys until you have no other choice but to buy their crap.

It might sound far-fetched, but I believe that we’re slowly but surely getting there.

I avoid food that’s grown or produced far away mostly to cut the environmental overhead associated with shipping the good across the globe.

Ideally, I would wanna grow my own food but I guess I have to wait for when I retire.