Chin Ups...only 5

once I finally squat over 300 I’m gonna have to put all these tips together for a good training regim.

I’ve been stuck at 10-8-6-3 for at least a year… and I havent been able to do anything about it. Tried 5x5 and couldnt pull it off… tried 8x3 and couldnt hack it…

The shitty part is before I added 30lbs of mostly muscle to my frame(about two years) I could easily perform 28 chins and 27 pull ups, for multiple sets when I felt like showing off and I’ve been doing chins/pulls consistently and they kept declining to the current state.

Its good to have a thread like this for referance!

I’m trying Zeb’s ideas (modified) and it’s working well.

With that said, I still think GTG has merit.

Neves,
Try an intensifying phase for a while instead of jumping all around with your set/weight/rep scheme. It seems to me that your progress halted as soon as you started straying away from less complex techniques.(WestSide and everything after that!) Use a higher weight and Stick to putting up heavy weight for a while then move to the 6X6 with say…200#. Keep this scheme till you hit 225# and then max out for 315. Hopefully you could hit it by then! Oh, and eat like a madman or you won’t change anything.

TParks

pull-ups are great all around ex. I’ve been at them for a long time and often try different combos to increase effectiveness. Adding weight is very effective making you feel lighter so reps come by easier. also the added weight makes a big difference is mass gains. My question is does anyone try to do them with 1 hand. I just started these and love the variation. Sets of 4 or 5 are as good as I get but I want 10 1armpullups. Anyone had any success with this style.

jsal33

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Right now I am experimenting with one-arm lockoffs (chin-grip holds in the top position). Shortly after starting this routine I saw my pull-ups jump from 16 to 18. I am going to try training almost exclusively using this method to see what the results are; I’ll get back to y’all when I’ve been doing it for long enough to make it worthwhile.

Many who are capable of 30, 40, or more pull-ups attribute this ability to kipping technique, and do their pull-ups very quickly.[/quote]

Yes, the “kippers” have a huge advantage as they can swing their lower bodies and create momentum. I do Chins in strict dead hang fashion! If I were to kip I think I could probably get well over 50. Although that’s just a guess as I have never tried kipping.

[quote]Zulu wrote:
I’m trying Zeb’s ideas (modified) and it’s working well.

With that said, I still think GTG has merit. [/quote]

GTG has no more merit than any random act of attempting to increase your numbers.

In other words if you were to show up for a training session with a deck of cards in hand and just pulled cards and did as many Chins as the number on the cards that would help you…to a degree. Same thing with GTG.

Don’t get me wrong random acts will work depending upon the level that you are at. If you have not trained Chins seriously, just about anything will get your numbers up. However, there is an optimum way to train to get your dead hang numbers up and GTG is not it!

Zeb

Icklemoley, concerning the proper training for pullups/chinups a would follow ZEB. For a complete back development I would perform also rows and deadlifts not in the pullups day. I would use a vertical pushing/pulling workout with pullups as the first exercise and military presses as the 2nd. Practically ABBH. For a 3 workouts/week:
Monday: Squat,row
Wednesday: Pullups/Chins,Military Presses
Friday: Deadlift,bench presses
Have a good time !
Luca