Chin-Up / Pull-Up Program

I was wondering if anyone remebers a workout posted here maybe two years ago, it was on chin up/pull up program. I have been looking around for it and cant seem to find it, so if anyone is able to direct me towards it I would be very gratefull.
Thanks

www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

I’m pretty happy with Pavel’s grease the groove and ladder program.

I took my max of 12 pull ups in February to a max of 16 yesterday.

They are the only 2 times I maxed out this year. I’m working around an injury, but I’m probably at my PR pull ups.

[quote]FatMom wrote:
www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm[/quote]

The Armstrong Program is pretty hardcore but it works.

Pavel’s GTG method is good if you have access to a bar throughout the day.

Ethan Reeve had a good program also that is twice a week.

http://www.weight-lifting-workout-routines.com/workout-routine-3.html

Try searching for “ZEB on pullups” or a thread like that. He had some interesting posts on pullups.

Can someone explain to me what they mean by a training set in that first article?

"Training Sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set a specified number of repetitions. That means one individual may have 3 repetitions in his training set, but another individual may have more or less. The key to determine the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on Day 3. You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions. If you were concerned with gross numbers performed, you might try for the higher numbered training set. This is not advised. It is much more important for you to successfully complete the scheduled workout on Day 3, doing one repetition per training set, than it is for you to complete only 6 or 7 sets, trying two or three repetitions in each training set. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training sets so that you can complete this routine properly.

The best gauge for the number of repetitions in the training set comes on Day 4.  If you successfully complete Day 3, try to raise the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do Day 4.  If you get a least nine sets done on Day 4, that tells you that your training set ought to be one repetition higher.  If you get less than nine sets, you will still have accomplished a good day?s work, and confirmed that your training set was correct for this week."

It seems like it contradicts itself…

I really do think that the best option is to just do a lot of pull ups in workout without always going to failure in those sets. I would reserve one day a week to do a bunch of to/through-failure sets, but volume and repetition are key.

I improved from 12 real dead hang pull ups to 17 by doing a lot of pull ups…

[quote]mastermoore wrote:
Can someone explain to me what they mean by a training set in that first article?

"Training Sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set a specified number of repetitions. That means one individual may have 3 repetitions in his training set, but another individual may have more or less. The key to determine the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on Day 3. You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions. If you were concerned with gross numbers performed, you might try for the higher numbered training set. This is not advised. It is much more important for you to successfully complete the scheduled workout on Day 3, doing one repetition per training set, than it is for you to complete only 6 or 7 sets, trying two or three repetitions in each training set. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training sets so that you can complete this routine properly.

The best gauge for the number of repetitions in the training set comes on Day 4.  If you successfully complete Day 3, try to raise the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do Day 4.  If you get a least nine sets done on Day 4, that tells you that your training set ought to be one repetition higher.  If you get less than nine sets, you will still have accomplished a good day?s work, and confirmed that your training set was correct for this week."

It seems like it contradicts itself…[/quote]

Day 3 you do nine sets of what you think your training set should be. For example 9 sets of 1 pullup.

Day 4 you up the training set repetition range by one and see if you are able to get 9 sets again. So now you see if you are able to do 9 sets of 2 pullups, if you are able to do 9 or more then next week your day 3 should be 2. If you get less than the original number of 1 is correct.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
I really do think that the best option is to just do a lot of pull ups in workout without always going to failure in those sets. I would reserve one day a week to do a bunch of to/through-failure sets, but volume and repetition are key.

I improved from 12 real dead hang pull ups to 17 by doing a lot of pull ups…
[/quote]

I would say goto failure no more than once ever 6 weeks or even more. Its been the best thing I’ve done for my training. But whatever works.

I would also recommend the ‘grease the groove’ method, just doing chins throughout the day, anytime you leave the room etc. It worked good for me as i have exams, n i’m trapped in my room with that, so any time i left the room, i’d do a set of sub-failure chins. I did it a bit different though, 5 days a week, with a ‘failure day’ with a rest day either side of it. You can easily get in 20 sets a day like that.

One thing though, choose what you want to improve. My chins went up a lot, but my pullups have stayed just about the same, because i trained chins. I’m about to change that