T Nation

Chin-Up Powerlifting?

Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.[/quote]

I don’t think it would be powerlifting.

Hanley: perhaps not… But, I’d be very interested in participating in lifting competitions that have a row/weighted chin as one of the exercises!

[quote]G87 wrote:
Hanley: perhaps not… But, I’d be very interested in participating in lifting competitions that have a row/weighted chin as one of the exercises! [/quote]

with a pause at the top until you’re told to “lower”.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.

I don’t think it would be powerlifting.[/quote]

Why not? How about chinning 500+ lbs external weight for one rep? That’s what I meant, not doing dozens of chins with BW.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
G87 wrote:
Hanley: perhaps not… But, I’d be very interested in participating in lifting competitions that have a row/weighted chin as one of the exercises!

with a pause at the top until you’re told to “lower”.[/quote]

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Start at the bottom then pull like hell until your chin is over the bar and hold. Kinda like how deadlifts are done.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.

I don’t think it would be powerlifting.

Why not? How about chinning 500+ lbs external weight for one rep? That’s what I meant, not doing dozens of chins with BW.[/quote]

Em because powerlifting is Squat, bench and deadlift.

I wouldn’t consider WABDL or bench only competitions to be powerlifting comps either btw.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.

I don’t think it would be powerlifting.

Why not? How about chinning 500+ lbs external weight for one rep? That’s what I meant, not doing dozens of chins with BW.

Em because powerlifting is Squat, bench and deadlift.

I wouldn’t consider WABDL or bench only competitions to be powerlifting comps either btw.[/quote]

I think what he meant was it would be interesting.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Hanley wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Do you know any meets wherein chins are a main event aside from squats, benches and deadlifts? I think it would be cool if there were one.

I don’t think it would be powerlifting.

Why not? How about chinning 500+ lbs external weight for one rep? That’s what I meant, not doing dozens of chins with BW.

Em because powerlifting is Squat, bench and deadlift.

I wouldn’t consider WABDL or bench only competitions to be powerlifting comps either btw.

I think what he meant was it would be interesting.[/quote]

I agree actually!!

It couldn’t be a PL event, it would seriously skew the results in the SHW class.

Mind you, I don’t think the added weight would amount to much, and therefore wouldn’t have a huge bearing on the total.

Not to get off topic, but I tried some of those “kipping” pullups they always do on crossfit and man. Those things are fucking hard to master.

I can see how you’d be able to crank out a million if you knew how to do them right, though.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
Mind you, I don’t think the added weight would amount to much, and therefore wouldn’t have a huge bearing on the total.[/quote]

If lifters trained chinups the same way they train squats and benches, and if someone develops a kick-ass chinup suit, I think the added weight could be substantial.

Thanks to this thread, I think I wanna train my chin again. Yes, I used to train my chin as if it were one of the big three. My best was 6 plates, or 270 lbs of external weight, but that was a long time ago.

[quote]2274 wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I think I wanna train my chin again. Yes, I used to train my chin as if it were one of the big three. My best was 6 plates, or 270 lbs of external weight, but that was a long time ago.[/quote]

240 pounds of bodyweight +270, you’re a fucking beast.

[quote]2274 wrote:
My best was 6 plates, or 270 lbs of external weight,[/quote]

I stand corrected. That would make a fairly significant difference to your total.

What about curls too?

Curls have been added to a lot of powerlifting competitions, they were in the original PL comps in the 60’s. NASA, RAW, and one or two others do them.

Chin-ups are great but they are pretty hard to judge. What can you do with your feet/legs? Can you chin touch the bar, where is the judge to see that (ie the lifter is much higher than a sitting judge in that meet). I only mention these things because i have put on a few strongman comps where a lift like this would be good but it is so hard to judge IMO it wasn’t practical to include.

BTW 270 lbs is a massive chin-up, that should be on video tape. Anything over 135 or 350 total is pretty impressive IMO.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Curls have been added to a lot of powerlifting competitions, they were in the original PL comps in the 60’s. NASA, RAW, and one or two others do them.

Chin-ups are great but they are pretty hard to judge. What can you do with your feet/legs? Can you chin touch the bar, where is the judge to see that (ie the lifter is much higher than a sitting judge in that meet). I only mention these things because i have put on a few strongman comps where a lift like this would be good but it is so hard to judge IMO it wasn’t practical to include.

BTW 270 lbs is a massive chin-up, that should be on video tape. Anything over 135 or 350 total is pretty impressive IMO.[/quote]

yup I saw on a website for describing the events the abbreviaions were:
sq-squat
DL-deadlift
BP-benchpress
CU-curl

[quote]2274 wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I think I wanna train my chin again. Yes, I used to train my chin as if it were one of the big three. My best was 6 plates, or 270 lbs of external weight, but that was a long time ago.[/quote]

Actually, I’m not surprised. With bodyweight into consideration, I could chin more than I could bench, around 35% more. If someone like you trained the chin Smolov style, it’s possible to chin that much.

Still, chinning 270 lbs external weight is incredible. What was your weight back then?

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Chin-ups are great but they are pretty hard to judge. What can you do with your feet/legs? Can you chin touch the bar, where is the judge to see that (ie the lifter is much higher than a sitting judge in that meet).

I only mention these things because i have put on a few strongman comps where a lift like this would be good but it is so hard to judge IMO it wasn’t practical to include.[/quote]

Good point. It would be something like the clean and press in oly lifting.