T Nation

Chin Improvements: Zeb Rocks

Looking to increase your number of chinups? Definitely follow Zeb's advice. It's working wonders for me.

By reading his thread on chins and implementing it into my training, I've went from 4 to 8, all with perfect form. I also went from being able to get 30 total chins in 10 sets, to being able to get 40 total in 8 sets.

Still a long way from where I want to be, but you can't argue with progress.

Thanks, Zeb.

Unless you're arguing whether that progress was made due to divine intervention or natural selection...I kid, I kid.

This reminds me of all those silly improve your vertical leap programs where they have testimonials from 14 year old boys talking about how they increased their vertical by 10 inches.

If you were doing 4 chins, all you had to do was any chin program and you were going to improve.

I know a guy who's better at chins BTW, than Zeb. Robert Cheeke, has only been lifting for 5 years and can do 40 straight without needing to peak for it. Vegan BTW. His program is: Do lots of chins and eat good. Bigger than Zeb also.

Well you seem like a nice guy. WTF?

Well, nice job. While it's possible that lots of different training paradigms could have helped you get to 8, it was nice of Zeb to offer his advice, and that it helped you.

Ha ha..."I know a guy that's better at chins than Zeb." You gotta love that line....Wait...I think I know him too...LOL

If a trainee has not been doing Chins I agree just about anything will help. Sort of like a new guy lifting weights. he will gain strength doing almost anything. However, if someone has been trying to gain and has had problems they need to train methodically. There are plenty of good programs out there. Naturally, I like mine.

I don't sell a Chin program and I never claimed to be the world champion of Chin-ups. In fact, I claim not to be! But, I have had some succes in this exercise.

I just try to contribute the best information that I can to a great lifting site.

That someone has gained using my methodologies should not offend you. Relax and breath deeply :slight_smile:

Take care,

Zeb

Some posters should learn what respect means, ''I know someone bigger than zeb'' just grow up and appreciate the information.

Am I the only one wondering what this program is? I don't see it anywhere.

In regards to anyones chin abilities:

Everyone is different in terms of beodyweight exercises. Someone could be huge and not be able to do alot of chins. I know guys who can't do more than a few. I can do more than the supposed 40. My buddy weighs 245 and can easily chin 90 lbs+. No lie. Now THATS strong.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=404137

Beware that doing weighted chins may lower your max endurance bodyweight chins. Since I started weighted chins, I can't do 40 anymore. I'm down to about 30. But my max chin is somewhere around 150 at a bodyweight of 187, which is MUCH heigher than the 90 or so when I started doing weighted chins.

I'm thinking of starting to mix it up so I get get more of the endurance back.

lol Seriously. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

Does anyone else find it funny that Jay Sherman is 'The Critic'?

Well anyway, this is grade A douchebag behavior. We should all like to realize a 100% increase in chins and it doesn't really matter how.

You could probably just start the workout with a set of weighted chins and go for high reps for the rest of your sets.

"Beware that doing weighted chins may lower your max endurance bodyweight chins. Since I started weighted chins, I can't do 40 anymore. I'm down to about 30. But my max chin is somewhere around 150 at a bodyweight of 187, which is MUCH heigher than the 90 or so when I started doing weighted chins.

I'm thinking of starting to mix it up so I get get more of the endurance back."

One of the points that usually fuels a debate is the exact point which you bring up, and I agree with.

If you want to increase your rep totals relative to Chins you need to train higher reps. In a sense it's "sports specific" training.

Your body (and mind) need to adjust to performing high reps. How well will you do on your 20th, 30th or 40th rep if you are not used to going that high? Will your body be able to handle the lactic acid properly? Have you developed enough of the slow twitch fibers (in training) in order for them to get the job done at higher reps without premature fatigue? Will you simply quit mentally when you get into a high rep set? We all know it feels differently than pulling one really difficult rep (both are challenging but in different ways).

There is a difference in training and those who train with heavy weight in order to perform one high rep set of Chins are not training as efficiently as possible in my opinion.

You know a guy that can do more chins than ZEB? Well, wholly fucking shit, alert the news.

40 chins? Whoopdy fucking do. Im overwhelmed. I can do 30 + myself and Im no strongman.

You wanna know impressive? A guy I rockclimb with, actually, he is 18 so I'll call him a kid, can do 15 with one freakin hand. Oh yea, he can also do about 25-30 with a 45 pound plate hanging between his legs! Oh yea, he also weighs about 130 - something pounds too. Never seen him max out, but I wouldn't be suprised if he could polish off 60

So what you are saying is this:

Someone came to this site wanting/needing help.

Zeb gave him some information.

Someone made progress, because of that information and wants to thank Zeb.

You think that that is the perfect time to tell everyone that someone you know is the Overlord of chin-ups and Zeb, more or less, sucks.

Please look at the four paragraphs above and answer me one question. Which one is a little bit disturbing?

My father can beat up your father.

Maybe, but his father can do more chin-ups...

Exactly, orion

All I was saying was thank you to Zeb. I wanted to do more chins, so I read his thread and spoke to him through PM once. I tried his method, and it worked, so I said thanks. Something wrong with that?

I never said his method was the final authority on chinups, and that no other method would work. I also know that since I'm so new to training them, that I could make progress any number of ways. That's not the point.

I too am a graduate of the Zeb school of chins and pullups. I started off a little over a year ago, and could only do 4. Today at lunch, I did 3 sets, 19,16,16.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.