T Nation

Chimera's Log


#1

I figured I'd start a log here, as I'm getting tired of trying to read my handwriting.


#2

Lifts and stats:

Height:5’8 (or 9)
Weight:220 lbs
BF: 16 ish?

1RMs
Bench: 235
Squat(wide stance): 375
DL: 410

My goals right now are just to lift more and to get bigger.

I don’t know how long it’ll take, but I want to bench 300, squat 400, DL 500. Also, getting up to 240 pounds would be nice, and then cut down to 220 and be a bit leaner.


#3

Friday:

DL:
135x3
225x3
245x2
275x1
315x1
340x1
(interrupted by rudest gym manager type person I’ve ever met, but that’s another story- decided to try for a PR)
410x1 (PR)
Got 415 up, but couldn’t lock out

Glute Ham Raises using a bosu ball and the smith machine (people look at you weird when doing this)
4 sets of 5, couldn’t go all the way down as my hammie is just recovering from a pull 3 weeks ago

Hammer strength seated row:
180x10
230x10
270x5
200x15

Bent over DB Row:
50x10
70x10
100x3
Pallof Press:
38x10
43x10
43x10


#4

Bench press:
145x5
165x2
185x2
195x1
205x1
225x1
failed attempt at 240
failed attempt at 240
240x1
failed 225
205x1 (going to work this up to 10 reps)

Decline Bench
195x5
210x2
225x1
190x7 (get to 10)

DB bench:
65x7
65x4 (couldn’t do anymore)

Flyes:
25x10
25x10

Skull crushers:
70x10
70x10
70x8 (dropped the bar behind me, couldn’t do anymore)


#5

Whats your routine look like?


#6

Right now it’s a 6 day split. Monday is Squats, Tuesday Rack pulls and shrugs, Wednesday Incline bench variations, Thursday, Bicep work, Friday is Hammy and upper back work. Saturday off, Sunday Bench.

For the big lifts, I do warm up sets then go for a one RM, then either go for pump on the next set or do a weight I can do for a few reps and try to build up to 10 with that weight. So far all my lifts are steadily shooting up.


#7

I see you are doing dl’s in sets of 3. That’s the same as what I do. Try doing more sets at 3 reps before moving to singles. You can check my log, I have increased my dl 1rpm from 335 to 530 in 1 year doing sets of 3. The goal is to keep your workout weight high.

Also, try a reverse grip if you dont already. The biggest thing on deadlifts is to lift it from the floor with your legs, not your back. Good job on the 415 lift.


#8

[quote]fastbat wrote:
I see you are doing dl’s in sets of 3. That’s the same as what I do. Try doing more sets at 3 reps before moving to singles. You can check my log, I have increased my dl 1rpm from 335 to 530 in 1 year doing sets of 3. The goal is to keep your workout weight high.

Also, try a reverse grip if you dont already. The biggest thing on deadlifts is to lift it from the floor with your legs, not your back. Good job on the 415 lift.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll check out your log soon. Great work on the improvement though. Yeah, I used to pull sumo, and would use my back more. I switched to a closer stance and can now use my quads which are much stronger.


#9

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Right now it’s a 6 day split. Monday is Squats, Tuesday Rack pulls and shrugs, Wednesday Incline bench variations, Thursday, Bicep work, Friday is Hammy and upper back work. Saturday off, Sunday Bench.

For the big lifts, I do warm up sets then go for a one RM, then either go for pump on the next set or do a weight I can do for a few reps and try to build up to 10 with that weight. So far all my lifts are steadily shooting up.[/quote]

If your training for wrestling do you really wanna go for size?


#10

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Right now it’s a 6 day split. Monday is Squats, Tuesday Rack pulls and shrugs, Wednesday Incline bench variations, Thursday, Bicep work, Friday is Hammy and upper back work. Saturday off, Sunday Bench.

For the big lifts, I do warm up sets then go for a one RM, then either go for pump on the next set or do a weight I can do for a few reps and try to build up to 10 with that weight. So far all my lifts are steadily shooting up.

If your training for wrestling do you really wanna go for size? [/quote]

I’m not training for wrestling.


#11

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Right now it’s a 6 day split. Monday is Squats, Tuesday Rack pulls and shrugs, Wednesday Incline bench variations, Thursday, Bicep work, Friday is Hammy and upper back work. Saturday off, Sunday Bench.

For the big lifts, I do warm up sets then go for a one RM, then either go for pump on the next set or do a weight I can do for a few reps and try to build up to 10 with that weight. So far all my lifts are steadily shooting up.

If your training for wrestling do you really wanna go for size?

I’m not training for wrestling.[/quote]

lol, sorry i was thinking of a diffrent log when I said that, my bad.


#12

Haha, no worries. I just thought that I mentioned it somehow.


#13

There is one thing that I do if you want to try on benchpress. Every Friday, I do a pyramid bench workout. The first set is a set of 10 at a certain weight. Once I can get that weight for 10, the next week I add 10 more pounds. The set of 10, you can use to gauge your 1 rpm.

ex: 315x10 gives you around a 410 1 rpm.

If you get 315 for 10, the next week you will be at 325.

The second and third sets are lighter than the first. Usually around 2-3 minute rests between sets.


#14

[quote]fastbat wrote:
There is one thing that I do if you want to try on benchpress. Every Friday, I do a pyramid bench workout. The first set is a set of 10 at a certain weight. Once I can get that weight for 10, the next week I add 10 more pounds. The set of 10, you can use to gauge your 1 rpm.

ex: 315x10 gives you around a 410 1 rpm.

If you get 315 for 10, the next week you will be at 325.

The second and third sets are lighter than the first. Usually around 2-3 minute rests between sets.[/quote]

How do you translate your 10RM to a 1RM?


#15

http://www.criticalbench.com/chart.htm


#16

Thanks for the link, it’s really helpful.


#17

Squats:
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x2
335x1
attempted 380, my lower back gave out
switched to front squats for some extra work
185x5
225x2

Smith Machine Calf Raises
275x15
315x15
405x15
475x10

Leg press
540x10
630x10
720x7
810x3

Planks:
30 seconds
25 lbs on back 30 seconds
45 lbs on back 1 minute


#18

Rack pulls:
135x5
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x1
435x1 (PR)
couldn’t get 450 up, tried twice
375x5 (work up to 10)

Shrugs:
275x10
225x20
245x5
(grip gave out)

Haney Shrugs
105x10
155x15

Cable side shrug (dbs don’t go high enough)
105x10
145x8 (left hand failed)


#19

135x5 felt really slow the last 2 reps
155x5
185x2
failed at 225
failed at 215
135x10 (up from 6 last week, time to up weight)

incline DB press:
50x10 3 sets

incline flyes
30x10
30x10
30x6 (when I get this to 10 I’ll up the weight)


#20

I tried rack pulls once. It didnt feel right for some reason.