T Nation

Chili Recipes

Don't know if this thread exists, didn't check, don't care.

The chili Macro (fourth macro, fifth being alcohol) is vital to life, lift, and the pursuit of fullness.

Post em, I'm hungry!

Where is this chili dish from?

Texas, Edevus.

DB posted one once that looked good, lot of work though. Cook time doesn't matter but I'm a fan of 30 minutes or less prep time.

Real chili doesn't have a determined recipe. Only certain ingredients to taste.

Red meat
chili peppers
chili powder
cumin
garlic
black pepper
tomato paste is permissable but only in small amounts. You are not making tomato soup or sloppy joes.

Cook it low and slow.

Can be topped with diced white onions, raw. Serve with cornbread.

No beans, no veggies, no tomato "chunks".

If you want an itemized and exact recipe just google chili recipe. There are probably millions.

Cornbread probably the most important part.

"Real Chili" is found in New Mexico (and the southwest and Mexico southward in general) -- where it's just prepared chile peppers-- Red or Green. (Hatch Chilis FTW).

Red (chili rojo) usually roasted dried pulverized with oil added and served in a small dish in/with/on various foods-- meats, eggs, other vegs, cheese etc.

Green chile (chili verde) is usually served roasted and chopped in/with/on various foods -- meats, eggs, other vegs, cheese, etc.

"Texas Chili" (and other chili variants) are "Chile con carne" (Chili with meat) -- or "Chile con carne con frijoles" (Chili with meat and beans).

What most people not familiar with 'real chili' think of as 'chili' is "Texas Chili"

I have an awesome chile cornbread recipe from my time in Socorro, NM.

Also, chili beer done right is freaking spectacular.

I will not challenge your culinary expertise but to say that Texas chili is the real deal and you can't change my mind. I do understand your point however.

That's OK.

I have a friend near Houston who tries to convince me that the Astros are actually a World series contender every year, too.

I have no idea why our sports teams blow so hard. Logically we should be fucking kings. It's too bad soccer isn't a real sport.

Well, if you can't figure out what "real chili" is, I don't know how you can figure out how to win professional titles.

Clearly the Stros are contenders then, based on chili legitimacy alone.

Don't get too caught up on tradition. You can eat fake chili if it serves your purpose better. I add canned corn, diced peppers, kidney beans to mine. Gives is a little fiber.

Sometimes, I eat it with Pasta =D

You had me all the way up to the corn. My taste goes to the one that is made with Beef cut into chunks stewed with all the above with Cumin fresh red onions and 1 maui onion, 1 full dark beer. Garlic powder and Fresh garlic and Red Kidney beans.

served with a little rice.
mmmmmmmmmmmm

Dude, get the FUCK out of this thread. This thread is for chili, not some hodgepodge mishmash of poor ingredients for people too fucking lazy to put a little time and effort into a superior dish. Vanish.

And anyone else on here, ignore everything this asshole just wrote. You can eat whatever suits your tastes, but that doesn't make it chili. Chili does not contain beans, and it certainly doesn't contain fucking kidney beans. It's appropriate to serve pinto beans on the side, or maybe some black beans, but that's it. Anything else, well, you may like it, but it ain't chili.

As far as "peppers" go, you should parch and peel your chilis so you can add more to the pot than you would otherwise. Peeling and parching them ends up removing a lot of the heat from the chili, but it retains and enhances the chili's natural flavor. Because it loses some heat, you can simply add more to the pot to compensate and end up with the same spice level AND have a lot more flavor.

As far as corn goes, serve it on the side if you really need some more fiber in your diet. There aren't any hard and fast rules to chili, other than keeping beans out of it, but take it from me, corn just doesn't work. I've won a half dozen chili cookoffs and I've beat the head chef from the Hilton Hotel in San Jose two years in a row. I know what I'm talking about here. A few things that I would recommend to anyone wanting to make a superior bowl of chili:

parch and peel your chilis. This means you put them on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven (450) for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown and the skin bubbles up, rotating frequently. Take them out, wrap in a cold, damp towel and refrigerate for 15 minutes or so and then pop the tops off, slice them open and scrape the seeds and rinds out. Dice and add to the chili.

Don't use ground beef unless it's the coarsest grind you can get from your butcher. I prefer 1/2" chunks of tri-tip seasoned lightly with a chili powder I make from scratch. I have my award-winning recipe on some other thread on here; if you want my recipe for the chili powder or the chili in general, look it up.

Good chili NEVER takes half an hour to cook. It's basically a 24 hour process. You should heat the ingredients on a relatively high heat for 30 minutes and then simmer uncovered (NEVER simmer covered) for about 4-6 hours. This really brings out the flavors and it helps to tenderize the meat that you use. Everything just melts in your mouth when you do it this way. Also, chili tends to taste better after refrigerating and then reheating, so after the initial simmer phase refrigerate it overnight and heat it again on low the next day for another hour or so. Because chili acquits itself well during multiple coolings/reheatings, you should make your time worth it and make a shitload. You can freeze it, refrigerate it, whatever. A true chili won't show any signs of degradation when heated up even after a month of being in the freezer.

Beer. Beer is key. Use about 8oz. of a light lager (light in color). Do not use a dark beer and do not use an ale, even a pale one. The malt in a dark beer and the extra hops in an ale will not go well with the rest of the ingredients, especially when you use the beer to bring out the chili powder's flavor. Take the 8oz. of beer and simmer your powder in it for a few minutes or until it thickens up. Refrigerate. Add this mixture to the pot when you have already added everything else. You should use some of the powder to lightly season whatever meat you use and the rest should go in the beer.

Don't be afraid of making it a little watery or thin at first. After simmering for 6 hours and then sitting in your frig over night it should thicken up considerably. If it's still too thin, add mesa harina flour, about half a cup at a time, assuming you're using several pounds of meat.

I sautee the golden trifecta: chopped onion, garlic, and celery.

same time I'm browning up some beef (four60- I've used cooked brisket on many an occasion)

Dump it all together.

Cumin, chili powder, diced chilis, diced tomatoes, bunches of other spices (incl. red dried pepperoncini to hotness).

Kidney beans, ceci beans.

Cook it down.

HELLLLLL YEAH, AMERICA!!!!! F@CK YEAHH!!!!!!

You talkin a full porter or stout?? Or more like a New Castle or 90 Shilling???

I've used porter, brown ale and lager for cooking beef. I'm not sure stout is a good choice for cooking.