Chili is Power Food

Reading the new Power Foods article reminded me of this: Shugs claims to be from Texas, yet I have never seen him endorse chili in all of his thoughts on good eating! Alright, so purely “texas-style” chili would contain much less of the Power Foods, because beans and tomatoes are considered ‘foreigner’ ingredients. But when we chili cooks break the Texas rule, consider what we’ve got in this stuff:

GRASS FED BEEF-- (order online in bulk, and don’t give me the shit about how expensive it is-- you pay a decent amount up front but over the total time you have the beef, it’s actually pretty cost-effective.)

ONIONS-- anywhere from one to four onions in a good chili recipe. Come on, Chris, we don’t need to eat 'em separate with shallots!

TOMATOES-- get your 28 oz. cans of muir glen organic ones for 2.50. Delicious and good for you.

BEANS-- Unless I’m going “pure texas” for artistic reasons, I use plenty of beans for the “power food” factor already, what with the fiber and blood sugar regulation.

Four power foods in one delicious package, plus:

Spice: the ‘heat’ in chili peppers has been linked to thermogenic properties, although I don’t know how well the national news source I got that from screens their reports for legitimacy.
Olive Oil: although it’s not always the recommended oil for use in recipes, I always use it for its awesome health qualities. The taste difference is negligible, really, and in many cases, I think better.

There are many, many different ways to do it, also, which is fun for the cooks out there. “wet” spice (the many different kinds of fresh chile pepper) vs. “dry” spice (chili powder, cumin, and others like even coriander, cinnamon, and oregano) and what amount of each. Include sausage or not? Red, Yellow, or white onions?

Simmer with beer, or are there so many tomatoes that their liquid is enough? Chili is the great American food, in my opinion, and it doesn’t get much better for us strength athletes/bodybuilders/whatever on this site.

Just made a big pot of chili last nite…

Im in the last week of the V-Diet…That sounds Soooooo good!!

Chili on top of brown rice is great. I can eat so much more when I don’t need to spend energy chewing.

I love chili, usually make a huge pot at least once a month.

Grass-fed beef is a little expensive though so I just use leaner ground turkey and make it extra meaty.

Ive been eating around 3 cans of chili a day for 4 days. Kinda weird this thread was made.

Chili is the best topping for an omelette. Bulking food FTW.

Dr. John’s Chili from his Precision Nutrition book is pretty sweet. I don’t want to just give out the recipe since he might not like that, but it’s got:

onion, red, green, and yellow peppers, carrots, beef, beans, tomato, V8 spicy juice, garlic. + my secret bulking ingredient which makes it taste amazing: cornbread crumbled in to thicken it and add flavor.

Think I might make me up some chili this weekend now that I think about it…

Everyone should try switching to turkey at least once in their chili, you wont ever go back. Negligible taste/texture difference, and turkey kicks ass compaired to beef or chicken (nutrition wise)! Best part, its not expensive.

I agree though, because chili was easy to make in mass quantities and easy to pack and carry through the day, it was a huge staple in my diet when I was training for strength/size.

how much can you get your ground turkey for?

Chili I just cooked up last night:

1.5 LBS ground turkey
1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapeño peppers
1 can each chickpeas, black beans, and kidney beans
1 can low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp each salt and cumin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Hot sauce to taste

[quote]kickureface wrote:
how much can you get your ground turkey for?[/quote]

Fixed up a big pot of Chili last night. Went half beef, half turkey. I like mine a little more on the meaty side. Every now and then…I like to construct a nice Chili Dog with some Cabbage Slaw and Rotel.

Wal-Mart(I know, I know) sells 93/7 ground turkey in 1lb tubes for 1.47, if I remember correctly. They also have 5lbs of 85/15 for around 5.50.

Is it even possible to make significant progress without a weekly pot of chili and the daily use of a blender?

[quote]chillain wrote:
Is it even possible to make significant progress without a weekly pot of chili and the daily use of a blender?

[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
chillain wrote:

Yes.[/quote]

LOL

(why am I not surprised Mr /thread himself can’t detect nuance?)

[quote]chillain wrote:
Short Hoss wrote:
chillain wrote:

Yes.

LOL

(why am I not surprised Mr /thread himself can’t detect nuance?)

[/quote]

I can detect, just saving you and me from seeing an argument of blender use by clueless people. I can see it now…

“Dude, like you don’t make a shake man? How do you get protein brah?”

It has been too long since I made a large pot of chili. That changes tomorrow. I like the idea of throwing a v8 into the mix. That sounds like it’d add some good flavor.

Yeah just get a 48oz spicy hot V8. Then all you have to do is add the beef and veggies to it + cornbread if you want to thicken it and add amazing flavor. I’d say the chili is ‘alright’ without it, but with it…wow.

I had this link sent to me I thought I’d share…

http://www.menshealth.com/shortordercook/

There’s a chili recipe in there…among a couple of other good ones.