Children's Training

[quote]dianab wrote:
kheaslim wrote:
When I was that age, in school we had a thing called Canada Fitness. I loved it, because they would have all the kids compete. We trained, and then competed in:

-long jump (standing and running)
-200m sprint
-push-up
-sit-up
-some others that i can’t recall

The competition was what made it fun. Otherwise, I agree with other random activities like climbing, running, wrestling. Just things kids would enjoy.

Gymnastics also sets kids up nicely for other activities like sports and lifting later in life.

I loved that program in grade school.
Never got the Award of Excellence though, I couldn’t do the body weight hold thing on the monkey bars for enough time to qualify.
We had step ups too, I think it was 2 minutes intervals with some funky Sesame Street music to keep time with LOL.

Dave Tate posted this one last week on FB of his 5 year old

Here’s one in the monolift, the kid came up with the set up on his own!
Someday I will... - YouTube [/quote]

Thanks for the links, dianab. Is that Dave’s son? Look where he racks the bar - that is cute.

[quote]kheaslim wrote:
When I was that age, in school we had a thing called Canada Fitness. I loved it, because they would have all the kids compete. We trained, and then competed in:

-long jump (standing and running)
-200m sprint
-push-up
-sit-up
-some others that i can’t recall

The competition was what made it fun. Otherwise, I agree with other random activities like climbing, running, wrestling. Just things kids would enjoy.

Gymnastics also sets kids up nicely for other activities like sports and lifting later in life.[/quote]

You missed that miserable sit and reach test. I’ve had horrible flexibility ever since I can remember, and that test screwed me out of gold a few times.

I started playing around a bit when I was 7 or 8, though it was my mom’s weights, and they didn’t go above 10lb dumbbells.

The reason why lifting weights has been crapped on for kids is that it was considered more likely to cause injury, and an injury to growth plates could cause permanent damage. Never mind that jumping from the monkey bars, etc. results in much more force than the average person would ever produce in a lift.

I would only say make sure not to do any of the multijoint lifts with significant weight unless you were sure the kid had demonstrated the proper movement patterns for that lift. If you aren’t sure yourself, find someone who is.

As long as he’s properly supervised, I say go for it.

[quote]Dwigs wrote:
Dude squat jumps are a no no for a kid! n[/quote]

really? I guess skipping, jump rope, or jumping are all out too?

heck, skipping is done on one leg. Granted, maybe not every kid would be ready for squat jumps.

[quote]natefisher wrote:
Dwigs, why do you say jump squats are not suitable[/quote]

He doesn’t have any understanding of what he’s talking about.

My dad gave me some 5s, 8s and a 16 DB when I was around 10 and I just started messing around with the stuff on my own, mostly in my room after I was supposed to be asleep. Show him some exercises - rows, presses, lunges - and then just let him do it whenever he wants. Unless he’s one of those kids who takes their sports very seriously he’s not going to follow a program.

[quote]natefisher wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I agree with pretty much everything that’s been said. Let me be clear, I’m not pushing him in the direction of training and don’t really care what sort of physical activities my kids do, as long as they do something! Currently, he’s playing hockey and does gymnastics, too. Summertime, he plays soccer and gymnastics. We had him in martial arts when he was 3 y.o. through 5 or 6, but he hated it and asked to stop so we didn’t push anything…

Recently, he’s been asking about working out and showing an interest in it. I don’t have any equipment at home so he’d be limited to what he could do with his own body and outdoors. He’s one of the smaller guys on his team, bodyweight wise, giving up 10-15lbs to most kids, I’d say, and I think he’s slightly intimidated by that.

Anyway, I thought some sort of basic program to help him get a little stronger could help. As a kid, I remember my dad used to take me out to the park and try to get me to do chins on the monkey bars, though I lacked the strength as well.

Dwigs, why do you say jump squats are not suitable, if only a couple of sets for 10 jumps using just bodyweight? He enjoys them, thinks they’re fun. Is it all that different than the burpees they used to get us doing in grade school gym classes through middle school?

Any thoughts on a short, simple, fun routine to be performed at home?[/quote]

My reasons for saying that squat jumps are not a great idea at his age are:

1- At his age his muscles might not be fully developed or balanced so when he performs the squat jumps his alignment may go. Most kids I’ve seen do them will have their knees collapse inwards.
2- Full ROM jump squats place alot of stress and force on the joints and bones, at his age his bones will still be developing and could be vulnerable to these stresses.
3- They could reinforce poor motor recruitment and movement patterns, if they are present.

I’d rather just start with simple BW prison squats and get him to nail them perfectly. Working on form, ROM and alignment. Once he’s got those perfect move onto jump squats. The fact that he does gymnastics might mean that these are already in place however. It also depends on the excersion he’s putting into them I guess.

Holding BW squats at parrallel for 10 seconds is also a great way to add to the exercises. So are BW lunges, forwards and backwards.

Once alignment and all that is sorted hopscotch is also great, plus all the alternates to that. If he’s strong enough teaching him to climb a rope (using arms and legs) will also be good for him as well as fun.

And I don’t think he (or you) should worry to much about him being smaller than others at his age, Most bigger guys I knew in primary school ended up being some of the smallest in high school

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Dwigs wrote:
Dude squat jumps are a no no for a kid! n

heck, skipping is done on one leg. Granted, maybe not every kid would be ready for squat jumps.[/quote]

I didn’t say that. Skipping and jump rope are more ankle flexion and extension, whereas jump squats use the hips. Plus the excursion between skipping and jump squats are not the same. Jumps are great, but mainly once off kind of jumps. Repetitive jumping, possibly to failure, not so great at that age IMO.

I think it would probably be a good idea to limit the amount of weight he’s allowed to use. Base it on a % of his body weight, so that as he gains weight, he gets to lift more. I’d have to do a bit of digging to come up with decent numbers.

There are much more dangerous activities out there that people allow their kids to do without question.

[quote]Dwigs wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Dwigs wrote:

heck, skipping is done on one leg. Granted, maybe not every kid would be ready for squat jumps.

I didn’t say that. Skipping and jump rope are more ankle flexion and extension, whereas jump squats use the hips. Plus the excursion between skipping and jump squats are not the same. Jumps are great, but mainly once off kind of jumps. Repetitive jumping, possibly to failure, not so great at that age IMO.[/quote]

probably should stay away from basketball too, you know never would get a rebound without hip flexion.

I see your point somewhat, but I think a blanket statement across the board is in error. And I wasn’t talking about going to failure.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Dwigs wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Dwigs wrote:

I didn’t say that. Skipping and jump rope are more ankle flexion and extension, whereas jump squats use the hips. Plus the excursion between skipping and jump squats are not the same. Jumps are great, but mainly once off kind of jumps. Repetitive jumping, possibly to failure, not so great at that age IMO.

probably should stay away from basketball too, you know never would get a rebound without hip flexion.

I see your point somewhat, but I think a blanket statement across the board is in error. And I wasn’t talking about going to failure.[/quote]

In hindsight I do admit that I made a blanket statement which was wrong. I’m not saying he should do zero jumps, I’m saying he shouldn’t do squat jumps on a consistent basis if his body is not developed enough for them. It is however hard to judge that over the internet and without assessing the kid.