Child Falls Into Dog Pen at Zoo

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Skinystudent wrote:
its awful but the zoo is entirely not at fault, there were proper saftey rails up and the mother chose to lift her child over the rails. presumably she lost her grip on him or something but in the end its her fault for being stupid.

and in that situation there was nothing that could be done, those animals are extremely dangerous.

[/quote]

Agreed.[/quote]

x3 That parent being as stupid as they are would have fucked that kid up at some point anways, it’s shame one of the most endangered animals on earth had to die for the parents idiotic decision.

If it was my kid, i might have jumped in; if nothing else but to buy some time for the proper help to arrive and maybe save my kid. If you could get ahold of a stick or something and start yelling and acting crazy they might have backed away. They’re not lions…[/quote]

No, they’re not lions, but wild dogs are notorious for being the most feared animals on the African plains. Something about their relentless pack hunting methods.
[/quote]

If this were in Africa in the middle of nowhere; then i wouldnt even think about it. But in a Zoo, i think any fit adult male would be able to fend them off long enough to get your kid out of there. They might bite you up, but if you can save your kid it’s worth it. They dont attach all at once, and if you beat back a couple they pack might not be as aggressive. Like i said, theyre not a pride of lions attaching you.

All of that said, if it wasnt my kid, or someone i knew very well; i would think about getting in there.

That parent holding their kid over the safety railing should be arrested for this.

It may be better to die trying to save the girl than to live with the knowledge that I did nothing.

We all owe a death.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Skinystudent wrote:
its awful but the zoo is entirely not at fault, there were proper saftey rails up and the mother chose to lift her child over the rails. presumably she lost her grip on him or something but in the end its her fault for being stupid.

and in that situation there was nothing that could be done, those animals are extremely dangerous.

[/quote]

Agreed.[/quote]

x3 That parent being as stupid as they are would have fucked that kid up at some point anways, it’s shame one of the most endangered animals on earth had to die for the parents idiotic decision.

If it was my kid, i might have jumped in; if nothing else but to buy some time for the proper help to arrive and maybe save my kid. If you could get ahold of a stick or something and start yelling and acting crazy they might have backed away. They’re not lions…[/quote]

No, they’re not lions, but wild dogs are notorious for being the most feared animals on the African plains. Something about their relentless pack hunting methods.
[/quote]

If this were in Africa in the middle of nowhere; then i wouldnt even think about it. But in a Zoo, i think any fit adult male would be able to fend them off long enough to get your kid out of there. They might bite you up, but if you can save your kid it’s worth it. They dont attach all at once, and if you beat back a couple they pack might not be as aggressive. Like i said, theyre not a pride of lions attaching you.

All of that said, if it wasnt my kid, or someone i knew very well; i would think about getting in there. [/quote]

I doubt 2-3 adult males would be able to defend against African wild dogs. They’re vicious animals. You have to be to survive among Hyenas, Leopards, and Lions. That’s just what’s on land…

It would all depend on how long the kid would need to be defended. Wild dogs are known for their endurance.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
That parent holding their kid over the safety railing should be arrested for this. [/quote]

100% agree

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I doubt 2-3 adult males would be able to defend against African wild dogs.
It would all depend on how long the kid would need to be defended. Wild dogs are known for their endurance. [/quote]

I’m sure wild dogs have great endurance, but are they known for their ability to not die when crushed and stabbed by something 3-4 times bigger than them? I still maintain that I would take my chances, even if alone.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
It would all depend on how long the kid would need to be defended. Wild dogs are known for their endurance. [/quote]

I’m sure wild dogs have great endurance, but are they known for their ability to not die when crushed and stabbed by something 3-4 times bigger than them? I still maintain that I would take my chances, even if alone.[/quote]

I think you underestimate the power and speed of wild animals in kill mode.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
That parent holding their kid over the safety railing should be arrested for this. [/quote]

I think her punishment has already been served.

I can’t even imagine the pain of living through losing a child - let alone one being torn apart by wild animals - especially when the whole thing was due to my poor judgement.

She’s already living in her own prison.

A 14ft fall alone can kill somebody (especially a toddler). What was this woman thinking?

And as for if I would jump in or not: probably not because I know there’s a good chance I’d break my leg or something else landing and also just become food for the wild dogs. Is that terrible? Probably, and it probably makes me a douchebag… but I wonder if this was even done before the dogs got to the child.

IMO, the zoo should not get introuble but it probably isn’t a bad idea for giant glass enclosures to prevent the mistakes of our own species…

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

I think her punishment has already been served.

I can’t even imagine the pain of living through losing a child - let alone one being torn apart by wild animals - especially when the whole thing was due to my poor judgement.

She’s already living in her own prison. [/quote]

x2

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I think you underestimate the power and speed of wild animals in kill mode. [/quote]

Lol, maybe I guess. You remember being in your 20’s though right? I’m pretty sure I can kill the shit out of anything that’s not bigger than me.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I’m sure wild dogs have great endurance, but are they known for their ability to not die when crushed and stabbed by something 3-4 times bigger than them? I still maintain that I would take my chances, even if alone.[/quote]

You’re vastly underestimating how much better wild animals are physically than humans. You might not even be able to react quick enough to stab and crush a wild dog!

[quote]csulli wrote:
I actually expected a lot more of this BS^

Some dude defended himself against his grandmothers pomeranian once and thinks that equals a wild dog because their weight is similar.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I think you underestimate the power and speed of wild animals in kill mode. [/quote]

No offense, but these aren’t your neighbors pair of labs. These are completely undomesticated, wild, violent animals. Once you enter that cage, it’s you or them, and you’re not killing 11 vicious wild dogs in attack mode. Those things would literally eat you alive.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with this. How many people walking around the zoo have knives?

You’d have to jump in the cage (and not get hurt doing), find a weapon, and then defend for an unforeseeable amount of time. Adrenaline will only last for so long and it might not be long enough.

Also wild dogs take down prey much larger than themselves. The fact that these have been or were born in captivity should help, but their instincts are strong. I’ve seen videos of wild dogs standing their ground against a smaller pack of Hyenas.

WARNING do not watch if you don’t want to see an animal die

Notice the group mentality. The Impala is small, but it only take one dog to take it down.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Lol, maybe I guess. You remember being in your 20’s though right? I’m pretty sure I can kill the shit out of anything that’s not bigger than me.[/quote]

You’re in Tennessee?

Go coon hunting with just a knife, go after a 20lber, get it cornered, and tell me how easy it was. LOL

As a parent of a toddler I can tell you with 100% certainty that I would have jumped in. If nothing else I would cover up his body with mine. I guarantee that my wife would also have jumped in, no questions asked.

Don’t forget that those dogs aren’t as hungry as the ones in the wild are. They don’t really need to fight for their food so if you put up a fight they probably aren’t going to press the issue considering they know exactly when and where there next meal is coming from.

james

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

No offense, but these aren’t your neighbors pair of labs. These are completely undomesticated, wild, violent animals. Once you enter that cage, it’s you or them, and you’re not killing 11 vicious wild dogs in attack mode. Those things would literally eat you alive.[/quote]

You don’t have to win or even survive; you just have to keep them away from your kid long enough for the people with guns to get there.

I’m in without thinking twice, and I’m not expecting to come out alive. I would just be hoping that I could distract them from my offspring long enough for the cavalry to arrive.

One of the core functions of a man is to protect his family. There are no exceptions to that for me.

I get where you all are coming from, but honestly, I think you guys underestimate human beings in “kill mode”. Nobody here is trying to equate wild African dogs to house pets (dunno why everyone is bringing that up). But nevertheless, a 50 or 60 pound creature can only be so powerful.