T Nation

Chik-Fil-A Lost

Chick-fil-A no longer will fund traditional-marriage groups

Chick-fil-A stopped funding traditional-marriage groups in an effort to open a new Chicago restaurant, but the company initially kept quiet about the decision, prompting gay rights groups to speculate that the company feared a backlash from conservative customers.
The Christian-rooted fast food restaurant agreed to stop funding groups such as Focus on the Family that oppose same-sex marriage in a meeting with the Chicago politician who had been blocking the companyâ??s move there. Chick-fil-A wrote a letter to Alderman Joe Moreno affirming this, according to his spokesman, Matt Bailey, but the company initially wouldnâ??t allow his office to release the letter to the public. Three weeks later they relented.
â??There was concern from them,â?? said Anthony Martinez, executive director for the Civil Rights Agenda, the Illinois lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender group that negotiated with both Chick-fil-A and the alderman to stop funding for so-called anti-gay groups. â??They really didnâ??t want to announce it, really, but, of course, the alderman needed to clarify why he was changing his stance on them opening a restaurant within his ward.â??
Chick-fil-A did not returns requests for comment, and has previously said it will not discuss the issue with the media.
Mr. Martinez said Chick-fil-A told the alderman they will no longer fund groups that support traditional marriage through their charity arm, the WinShape Foundation, and will instead use that money toward educational programs and food donations.
â??The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas,â?? Chick-fil-A wrote in the letter.
Chick-fil-A also sent an internal memo called â??Chick-fil-A: Who We Areâ?? stating the company will â??treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender.â??
Mr. Moreno called it a win for gay rights.
â??Prior to today, Chick-fil-A had a poor record when it came to acknowledging equal rights for all of our citizens, regardless of their sexual orientation,â?? he said. â??But today, we have a new path: For the first time, Chick-fil-A has changed their practices and promised the workplace protections that all of our citizens deserve. Instead of being a company that openly promotes discrimination, Chick-fil-A has vowed to move forward.â??
This could also help in other areas, such as Boston and San Francisco, where politicians vowed to oppose new Chick-fil-A restaurants.
The Civil Rights Agenda was also happy with the move, but said more needs to be done.
â??Weâ??re very pleased with this move,â?? Mr. Martinez said. â??We think it is a big step forward.â??
The group would also like to see Chick-fil-A include an anti-discrimination policy in the companyâ??s employee handbook. He said companies in many states are still allowed to discriminate against gay and transgender people, so a company policy would help prevent that.
â??In the state of Illinois, it is part of the law,â?? Mr. Martinez said. â??But in many parts of the South, sexual orientation is not protected. There are over 20 states still that you can be fired for being gay, and there are over 30 states that you can be fired for being transgender. A lot of people donâ??t know that.â??
The restaurantâ??s decision comes less than two months after Chick-fil-A sparked a nationwide controversy when President Dan Cathy told a Christian news outlet that he supported traditional marriage. Gay advocacy groups took that to mean that he was anti-gay. They also pointed to the companyâ??s funding for groups that oppose same-sex marriage. Many called for a Chick-fil-A boycott, while others joined in a gay â??kiss-inâ?? at the restaurants. Some politicians, including Mr. Moreno, said the restaurant was not welcome in their communities

That’s a damn shame. A real damn shame. Well, at least the the big wigs can still give money to traditional marriage groups privately. Hate to see some clown show civil rights thugs, who are supposed to be politicians, leveraging their power on private business like that.

Religious persecution and bigotry work, who knew?

Personally, I would have a problem supporting an organization linked to the killing of homosexuals in Uganda.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/tony-perkins-in-2010-said-ugandas-kill-the-gays-bill-upholds-moral-conduct/politics/2012/08/17/46846

And the real Chick-fil-A has indeed stood up.

Welcome news indeed, although I didn’t agree with the initial decision to prevent these new locations from opening in these cities. A business owner should be able to donate money to whatever cause they wish, as long as it falls within the law. Besides, the vast majority of religious arguments against homosexuality come from bigotry and ignorance, not reason. I’m talking to you Dan Cathy.

Goodbye America. Free thought and association is to be harassed and bullied by government stooges.

[quote]Legionary wrote:
Welcome news indeed, although I didn’t agree with the initial decision to prevent these new locations from opening in these cities. A business owner should be able to donate money to whatever cause they wish, as long as it falls within the law. Besides, the vast majority of religious arguments against homosexuality come from bigotry and ignorance, not reason. I’m talking to you Dan Cathy. [/quote]

“I disagree with what you have to say, but I’d die to defend your right to say it.” Many people quote that, few really practice it.

I’m for gay marriage, but the posters around here are right about this being religious persecution. A private business shouldn’t be punished for expressing its political views. Liberals can be guilty of intolerance too.

[quote]smh23 wrote:
Liberals can be guilty of intolerance too.[/quote]

You dont say?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

You dont say?[/quote]

I say.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:
Welcome news indeed, although I didn’t agree with the initial decision to prevent these new locations from opening in these cities. A business owner should be able to donate money to whatever cause they wish, as long as it falls within the law. Besides, the vast majority of religious arguments against homosexuality come from bigotry and ignorance, not reason. I’m talking to you Dan Cathy. [/quote]

“I disagree with what you have to say, but I’d die to defend your right to say it.” Many people quote that, few really practice it.

I’m for gay marriage, but the posters around here are right about this being religious persecution. A private business shouldn’t be punished for expressing its political views. Liberals can be guilty of intolerance too.[/quote]

Yep! Take note of my focus, as a state-recognized-gay-marriage oppenent. The protestors against the franchise were within their rights, too. Private power against private power. This interference from public officials? Get out of here with that!

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

You dont say?[/quote]

I say.[/quote]

I was wondering about the “can be” part.

Conservatives and libertarians kind of get that they are not exactly the mainstream.

Liberals take their beliefs for granted.

They dont even get when they are intolerant.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

You dont say?[/quote]

I say.[/quote]

Conservatives and libertarians kind of get that they are not exactly the mainstream.

[/quote]

Diversity? Not in thought.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

You dont say?[/quote]

I say.[/quote]

[/quote]

Diversity? Not in thought.
[/quote]

Yes, they want American Indian transvestites along black left handed lesbians as long as they all think the same.

Which is probably the most primitive and infantile form of “diversity” there is.

This is what happens when the alleged moral authority on earth (guess which organisation) starts preaching tolerance for homosexual perverts.

The phrase ‘riddled through and through’ seems to come to mind also.

“Land of the free” my ass.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

I’m for gay marriage, but the posters around here are right about this being religious persecution. A private business shouldn’t be punished for expressing its political views. Liberals can be guilty of intolerance too.[/quote]

My respect for you rises daily. Thank you.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

I totally agree. I think we can all be guilty of this at times.
“In fact, in creating the man we want to be, there is not a single one of our acts which does not at the same time create an image of man as we think he ought to be”

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Legionary wrote:

My respect for you rises daily. Thank you.
[/quote]

Ditto dude. I am still trying to cook up a better rebuttal in the other side thread by the way.