Chicken Primavera w/ Steamed Broccoli

[quote]th_underdog wrote:
Well, as far as stovetop goes I’d like to know about all of them. But if I cook rice its usually with long grain, as I’ve heard the GI is lower. [/quote]

With white rice, it’ll be 2:1 water:rice ratio. But remember that the more rice you cook, the lower that ratio will be (ex, for 3 cups of rice, you should use about 5 1/2 cups water instead of 6). With brown rice, you’ll need to go with a 3:1 ratio of water:rice. Also remember that brown rice is perishable due to the fat content in its hull, unlike white rice.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Nice haole boy! But do you know how to cook rice ;p ???
[/quote]

I think the true test would be if could make a spam musubi! Haven’t had one of those in 15 years.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:

I’m half Korean
[/quote]

Please

Bul ko gi

Recipe

Please

Aloha kitchen in Mesa makes great Korean BBQ and Kim Chee II on Waialae Ave. back home made the BEST Korean BBQ ever. the Chuns are a family of culinary superheroes!

OF COURSE! Just measure out the rice, the water, and press start! :slight_smile:

There does seem to be an art in cooking rice, maybe you can enlighten me? Usually I save the rice consumption for after workout sushi. Mmnnn omg…[/quote]

As anyone from Hawaii will tell you, the art of cooking rice is:

1. Washing the rice. Its almost ritualistic.

2. How much water you add to the rice, as measured by sticking your index or middle finger into the pot until the fingertip barely touches the rice.

[quote]downintucson wrote:
chinadoll wrote:

I think the true test would be if could make a spam musubi! Haven’t had one of those in 15 years.

[/quote]

Yes! The girl I used to date used to dig on spam!
No! I don’t know how to make it, or what it is! I was gonna write that I don’t like spam, but ya know I’ve never had it either. That would be an ignorant statement. What’s the macronutrient info on spam? Probably be a P/F meal by itself.

Panther1015 wrote:

I’m half Korean

Please

Bul ko gi

Recipe

Please

Aloha kitchen in Mesa makes great Korean BBQ and Kim Chee II on Waialae Ave. back home made the BEST Korean BBQ ever. the Chuns are a family of culinary superheroes!

[/quote]

I’d love to have the bul ko ki recipe too. Panther, what’s the beef called where its raw and its on lettuce I think and they crack a raw egg in top and you mix it in and eat?

th_underdog wrote:

OF COURSE! Just measure out the rice, the water, and press start! :slight_smile:

There does seem to be an art in cooking rice, maybe you can enlighten me? Usually I save the rice consumption for after workout sushi. Mmnnn omg…

2. How much water you add to the rice, as measured by sticking your index or middle finger into the pot until the fingertip barely touches the rice.
    [/quote]

3. I heard a while back that washing the rice washes nutrients away. But now that I think of it, what nutrients? How does washing affect how its prepared?

4. This doesn’t tell me much? Where should the water be on my finger?

Water to the first digit. Is digit the right word? Whatever the hell the first crease is (closest to the fingertip). Some say between the first and second crease, but that’s if you want very soft rice (for making sushi).

Panther1015 wrote:

I’m half Korean

Please

Bul ko gi

Recipe

Please

[/quote]

Here’s the bul ko gi recipe you requested. My grandma (God rest her soul) taught me this when I was really little. I measure everything by eye, so you may want to tweak the measurements of the ingredients a little:

• 1 lb eye round sliced as thin as the butcher can cut it.
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
  • 3 Tsp dark soy sauce
  • 3 Tsp dark sesame oil
  • 3 Tsp honey (preferably clover) or sugar/evaporated cane juice
  • 2 small cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste (use sea salt!!!)

Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and marinate for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight). Best if cooked on a grill with white oak briquettes, but good if cooked on a hot skillet too. Enjoy!

**Note - for a little exotic twist, add the juice from a large wedge of lime along with about 1/8th of a tsp of finely minced zest.

downintucson wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:

I’m half Korean

Please

Bul ko gi

Recipe

Please

I’d love to have the bul ko ki recipe too. Panther, what’s the beef called where its raw and its on lettuce I think and they crack a raw egg in top and you mix it in and eat?[/quote]

I’m not familiar with that, but it sounds like an Asian twist to steak tartare.

downintucson wrote:
th_underdog wrote:

There does seem to be an art in cooking rice, maybe you can enlighten me? Usually I save the rice consumption for after workout sushi. Mmnnn omg…

3. I heard a while back that washing the rice washes nutrients away. But now that I think of it, what nutrients? How does washing affect how its prepared?

4. This doesn’t tell me much? Where should the water be on my finger?[/quote]

Most of the nutrients in rice come from the brown hull, which is removed to turn brown rice into white rice. Unlike its foreign counterparts, most rice produced in America goes through a pressurized steaming process that forces the nutrients from the brown hull into the white endosperm. This rice is called “converted rice” - a term you’ve probably read on an ingredients label.

Thanks very much for the Bul ko gi recipe.

No problem. BTW, I’ve also got a kalbi (Korean short ribs) reipe for you. I’ve geared the portions for a large bbq:

• 5 lbs beef short ribs
  • 1/4 cup each of honey, soy sauce and vinegar (I prefer apple cider vinegar or pineapple vinegar if you can find it, but most Koreans use rice wine or white vinegar or just straight sake or dry sherry)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions (use baby spring onions if you can find it - much sweeter taste)
  • several cloves of minced garlic (adjust to taste)
  • handfull of untoasted sesame seeds
  • 1/2 Tbsp Korean ginseng powder (my secret ingredient - you’re welcome T-nation readers)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a container and marinate overnight.

Grill setup:

Set the grill for smoking by placing briquettes on either side of the grill (indirect heat) and a disposable foil pan like the ones you serve sides at a pot luck in in the middle filled about 1" deep with beer (any beer will do, but a good Korean beer would be even better). Use white oak chips (Maine white oak is the most available in the states, but a Korean white oak would send the flavors off the charts) for the smoke. As always, soak the chips in water for AT LEAST 3 hours, overnight is even better.

Smoke the ribs until the meat falls off the bone - usually about 3-4 hours per side.

These ribs also work grilled over white oak briquettes if you’re impatient. Unlike most ribs, short ribs are relatively tender with brief cooking.

Enjoy!

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:

I’m not familiar with that, but it sounds like an Asian twist to steak tartare.
[/quote]

Yeah, probably part of the fusion food that’s been in California, which might be everywhere else too.
Thanks for the recipes, by the way. They’re going in my recipe book, so to speak

marinate the chicken in a little rice wine vinegar first…for about an hour or two.

Mmmm. Brings out a lot of flavor and makes it very tender. You can also use chicken thighs which are cheaper.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1123437589595.Michelle2redbikini.jpg

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

OMG, Spam Musubi!! Hahaha!! I was recently in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio, and didn’t see a single Spam Musubi, it was WEIRD!!

Here’s the nutritional content of Spam Light:
Serving size: 2 ounces
Calories: 110
Fat Calories: 70
Total Fat: 8 grams
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 580 mg
Total Carb: 1 gram
Protein: 9 grams

Hey that’s not as bad as expected. Beside Hawaii being the Spam and Rice capital of the US, you guys know that we’re also the SODIUM capital as well, right??? Hehehe… I laugh at 580 milligrams of sodium per serving…I’ll simmer that Spam in soy sauce!!

Could someone please answer why Spam is so defiled in the Mainland??? Don’t people in the Mainland eat Bologna, hot dogs and sausages?? I despise Bologna, BTW!!!

Holy smokes, Panther, Kal Bi, that’s the Bomb!!!

downintucson wrote:
chinadoll wrote:

Yes! The girl I used to date used to dig on spam!
No! I don’t know how to make it, or what it is! I was gonna write that I don’t like spam, but ya know I’ve never had it either. That would be an ignorant statement. What’s the macronutrient info on spam? Probably be a P/F meal by itself.[/quote]

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Could someone please answer why Spam is so defiled in the Mainland??? Don’t people in the Mainland eat Bologna, hot dogs and sausages?? I despise Bologna, BTW!!!

[/quote]
Yeah bologna is nasty stuff, not real big on hot dogs, either. Sausages are different, tho. Something about spicy meat…
Spam has always been kind of a joke in the States, although some people do eat it. When I first heard of its popularity in Hawaii, I was surprised to say the least. But don’t know why its less popular than hot dogs. Maybe its in the name? Sp + ham = Spam? Sounds mysterious.

BTW I’m going to Oahu for the first time tomorrow. Maybe I’ll get to try it for the first time? A week full of cheat meals!

U~

Kewl, you’re coming to Oahu!!! What brings you to Oahu??? Go to any Zippy’s for a “Surf Pack” or a “Zip Pack”- it’s what the surfers eat after surfing all day and they’re ravenous…it has Spam in it, but also a lot of tasty meat- teriyaki beef, mahi mahi and chicken. It’s a “bento”, lunch in a box, usually predominantly meat.

Or go to 7-11…there are “Spam Musubi”'s- Rice pressed into a rectangular shape topped by a piece of spam and held in the hand while eating the way one eats a large dumpling-- at every one!!!

Funny how its so ridiculed in the states…every mainland transplant I know here eats Spam Musbui just as much if not more than locals. It tends to be an “after beach” thing.

If you train here, try Gold’s Gym in Honolulu. For bodysurfing, Sandy Beach or Magic Island. Clubs- Ocean Club in Restaurant Row, or Zanzibar in Waikiki. Don’t forget to drive the North Shore and see all the world’s best surf spots…Banzai Pipeline, Waimea Bay, Shark’s Cove, etc…

OK, good luck with your spamming of a different kind here!!!

Aloha,
chinadoll:)

chinadoll wrote:

Yeah bologna is nasty stuff, not real big on hot dogs, either. Sausages are different, tho. Something about spicy meat…
Spam has always been kind of a joke in the States, although some people do eat it. When I first heard of its popularity in Hawaii, I was surprised to say the least. But don’t know why its less popular than hot dogs. Maybe its in the name? Sp + ham = Spam? Sounds mysterious.

BTW I’m going to Oahu for the first time tomorrow. Maybe I’ll get to try it for the first time? A week full of cheat meals!
[/quote]

China

Thanks for the info! You’re like an impromptu tour guide :slight_smile: I did find Spam Musubi at an L & L. Its pretty good, you converted me! Although I wouldn’t eat it any more often then I would sausage or something like that. I went to a few places on the North Shore (dont surf tho) and drove around the island for a day.

My favortie place would have to have been Haunauma Bay (sp?) the snorkeling was amazing. I went out much farther than anyone else I saw there and was rewarded. Many more beautiful fish the farther out you go and I was about 3 feet away from a huge sea turtle! Of course, the beach in Waikiki right out in front of my hotel was amazingly clear and warm, as well. Probably spent the majority of time goofing off there. The only thing I regret was not making it out to see the night life, even though I had planned to check out Zanzibar and the Wave.

Next time I want to go with someone who has lived there, to see the more indigenous aspects of the islands. I guess one would want to go to one other than Oahu for starters, huh!

Aloha!

U~
You’re welcomed!! I’m so happy that you got to snorkel at Hanauma Bay! It is very pretty…did you see a Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, the state fish? I hope it was pointed out to you!

It’s considered good luck to see a sea turtle in the water. There are more and more sea turtles every day…at one time they were very endangered, they were killed almost to extinction for their shells…and then laws were passed to protect them and now you can see them more often. They also at one time had some kind of mosaic/tumor infection, and then Marine Scientists became involved and it’s no longer a problem.

Were you able to see some of the He’iau? These lava rock formations, built by ancient hawaiians, were sacred places of worship and practice, some even places of human sacrefice. They are protected as well. Sometimes you can find them while hiking. There’s one a few minutes away from my home that’s about as large as a football field, and knowing it was used for human sacrifice gives a lot of people goosebumps. http://www.aloha.net/~smgon/Heiau.htm

Yes, each of the other islands has it’s own unique traits…Big Island and it’s active volcano, extinct volcanoes, hot springs heated by the seismic activity, lava flows, etc…Maui and it’s whales, upscale shopping…Kauai and the Waimea Canyon ( a mini Grand Canyon, sorta)…

And OMG, you tried Spam!!! Hey hey hey!

Aloha Kakahiaka,
chinadoll:)

P.S. Sorry to anyone else reading this to hijack the thread. I will leave a gratuitous chicken recipe…

Black Bean- Asparagus Chicken

-2 Pounds chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks and marinated for a few hours in 1 T. Whiskey, 1 T. cornstarch, 1 t. minced garlic, 1 t. minced ginger and dashes of dried hot pepper flakes to preference

-1 Pound Fresh Asparagus, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch lengths

-1-2 T. Soy Sauce

-2 T. chinese salted black beans

-Vegetable oil

-1/4 cup chicken stock

-1 T. Cornstarch mixed with 1/8 cup water until smooth

Heat 1 T. oil on high heat in Wok or skillet. Add minced garlic and chicken and stir fry until chicken is just done; remove chicken. Add 1t. oil to skillet and add asparagus, stir frying until tender crisp. Add chicken, chicken stock and black beans to skillet with asparagus and briefly stir fry only until black beans are hot. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened.

China

Thanks for the info! You’re like an impromptu tour guide :slight_smile: I did find Spam Musubi at an L & L. Its pretty good, you converted me! Although I wouldn’t eat it any more often then I would sausage or something like that. I went to a few places on the North Shore (dont surf tho) and drove around the island for a day.

My favortie place would have to have been Haunauma Bay (sp?) the snorkeling was amazing. I went out much farther than anyone else I saw there and was rewarded. Many more beautiful fish the farther out you go and I was about 3 feet away from a huge sea turtle! Of course, the beach in Waikiki right out in front of my hotel was amazingly clear and warm, as well. Probably spent the majority of time goofing off there. The only thing I regret was not making it out to see the night life, even though I had planned to check out Zanzibar and the Wave.

Next time I want to go with someone who has lived there, to see the more indigenous aspects of the islands. I guess one would want to go to one other than Oahu for starters, huh!

Aloha![/quote]