Chicken Legs FTW

Good rest and recoup before the contest can be invaluable. Get it and smash it …

Can’t wait for the report!

Stay focused and attack! Sending you what little grrr I have left!

Have fun at your meet. The hardest part is over.

The best worst day of lifting…

The Best part was meeting Steve and his family…great people.! Enjoyed watching them lift and share the day. You could see the pride from father to son and even cooler from son to father…both are very , very strong and as I said genuinely good people. ( And I am so thankful he decided not to rock the yoga pants in warm-ups)

There were a bunch of older dudes lifting. It was awesome. They are so cool. Everyone else is thinking about their attempts, pacing around, stretching…they’re just sitting in the front row ( closer walk to the platform) like its their grand daughters recital.

I felt ready, I felt good driving up to NH. warming up for squats everything felt awful… I went 275 fine, 295 fine, and 305 was a struggle that I won only to get red lighted for racking it to soon… stupid is what stupid does…

Bench I warmed up to 245 with Steve. Opened at 250 and the bar went about 3 inches and stopped…rinse and repeat for 2nd attempt. I waived my 3rd as I had spent too much energy on the previous attempts. Fun story so far isn’t it? Thankfully my family a) wasn’t there and b) doesn’t depend on my strength to provide food and shelter.

I went to warm up for deads early so I could swim around in my own head. Warm-ups went well so I regained some mental mojo, but I decided to drop my opener from 375 to 360 because I didn’t want to repeat the bench fiasco. 360 , 380 no problems…405 for my 3rd was work, again more work than it should have been but got her done.

Now I’m screwed… I had planned for this to be my last meet, but there is no friggin’ way on God’s green earth I’m leaving that mess as my last.

Thanks for all the support.

Paul

Of course you’re not going to leave that as your last. You’ll come back stronger!

Any of us who has competed for any length of time has had a meet (or two or four or ten) that didn’t go our way. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth for sure. But after a spell, that bad taste turns to a craving for platform success again.

Way to go for putting it out there!

.Paul, it was great hanging with you. I was really feeling for you when your lifts weren’t cooperating. Now you’ve got me hooked I may hit the push/pull in August. Maybe you could go out with a bang at that one.

I had forgotten about some of the lifters pre-lift rituals. The arm and hand movements and the yelling and slapping. Funny stuff. And the old dudes did seem to conserve energy by sitting in the front row and not making much of a fuss before a lift. Maybe they’re on to something.

Kainen was just reading over my shoulder and said, ‘I like Paul’. But he likes everyone…just kidding. But my wife enjoyed meeting you too and she’s slightly more choosy about that kind of stuff.

Yeah, good job indeed. Glad to read you didn’t walk off after your bench issues, and went on to pull 4 plates. Way to keep pushing on.

Onward and Upward.

I forgot to say, I’m inspired by your grit and attitude. Makes me want to lift right now, and keep pushing it until I pull a 405 of my own!
Now, on to the next one.
ERIC D.

Congratulations on a superb ass-kickin’ day! How can one walk away from the passion, controlling the iron, dominating the steel? You showed determination and guts seeing your lifts through to the last dead. Onwards and Upwards.

Congrats OG. Going three for three pulling after the bench issues is impressive.

For some reason bench seems to be the most often missed lift at every meet I do. Seems like adrenalin is a positive factor both squatting and pulling but not sure that it works the same way benching.

There is never, ever, a last meet. There is only the next meet. I went 20 years between them but keep coming back. You had a good day, learn some thing to use next time, know what to expect.

Thank you all for the thoughts…I signed up for a push pull in Aug.

KP- Thanks, it was frustrating for sure
DZ- I look forward to you hitting 405 and beyond
Steve- Awesome day, you have a nice family, be proud
Harry- Roger that
GV-Thanks, and thanks again for monolift advice
Dave-Appreciate your support

Did very light full body junk day today…

Great job. Glad you signed up for another meet.

An August meet! Fabulous!

Well, you did not hit your meet goals.

But, you made a new face-to-face friend, and dazzled his family with some goaty charm…

and, you continue to persevere towards your goals…

Winner, winner goat dinner!

(p.s. from the benching videos I saw, it looks like the pause was very long, probably threw off your timing I’m thinking; strength can be so specific sometimes it’s weird)

loved reading about your meet.

and more excited that you signed up for another.

good work OG

PG and Kev- thanks guys…appreciate you stopping in
KP-road to redemption

figure out what is next day

Snatch Grip dl 5x135, 5x225, 3x265, 2x280
DL 3x315, 3x355, 3x370, 2x380
Trap Bar DL 5x325, 3x365, 2x380, 2x390, 2x415
deadhang chins 3x5

so the plan is start with snatch grip when grip starts to fail switch to conventional for no less than doubles, goal is to change the 380 into a 5 and then move to Trap bar to finish me off…

I may drop DL in favor of hip thrusters…need to ponder that.or maybe instead of being feeble just add them in!

Peace

That’s a lot of DLs! Good looking workout.
Gotta have a plan…and it looks like you do.

Nice dead work. That kind of destruction is good for the gut.

Thanks guys…

DB BP 3x10x65’s
DB row 3x10x70
DB MP 3x10x40’s
Motorcycle row 3x10sidex30
DB lateral 2x12x12 w/2 sec hold

wow its been so long since I have worked DBs that I was awful. Going to stay at these weights for 2 or 3 sessions just to make sure all parts are functioning.

Peace