T Nation

Chicken Breasts

What is the best, or most recommended commercial supplier of chicken breats. Now days will all the chicken you see in the store which is the healthiest? Some claim to be 100% natural while other's are injected with sodium bromide, and other flavor enhancers. Is it just a taste preference or is there a nutrional content difference between enhanced and natural? Just curious to me a chicken is a chicken, and whether it's enhanced or not it still eats grain off the floor it shits on!

Bullpup.

I buy free range chicken.Perdue isn't really bad either.Their chicken,they say,is all natural.

[quote]bullpup wrote:

What is the best, or most recommended commercial supplier of chicken breats. Now days will all the chicken you see in the store which is the healthiest? Some claim to be 100% natural while other's are injected with sodium bromide, and other flavor enhancers. Is it just a taste preference or is there a nutrional content difference between enhanced and natural? Just curious to me a chicken is a chicken, and whether it's enhanced or not it still eats grain off the floor it shits on!

Bullpup.[/quote]

I buy the MBA-brand "Smart Chicken". It's free-range, organic. Costs a bit more ($8.99/pound here in Chicago), but tastes much better than Purdue.

I find that the individully frozen, enhanced, chicken breats are ALWAYS tender.

yeah i've had that air-chilled smart chicken. it's pretty good. i've also had some other local brands that are air- chilled, rather than water-chilled, and there is a big difference in flavor. less water and alot cleaner because of it, so that makes sense. also noticed the air chilled ones sear up alot better in a pan, again less water, and when the juices run clear they don't end up boiling themselves and ruining all that nice cast-iron carmelization.

Damn, I pay 1.49-2.00 per pound for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Packaged by Tyson

Costco/Sams Club BIG bag of Frozen breasts
Good to go.

I'm always looking for the chemically enhanced checken breasts, in hopes the effect may be passed on to me.

I usually buy big bags at Sams/Cosco.

The only difference to me is that some have larger breasts than others, and some are pounded out, making them appear larger, but they are really just flatter.

I gotta agree here. If I was spending 8-10$ a pound to eat chicken, I'd go broke.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Just eat the chicken.

By the way, I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just saying it probably won't make that big of an impact in the big picture.

What's the sodium bromide do?

Salt water solution to increase flavor and juicyness, I guess hell I'm not a chicken farmer, that and maybe increase the weight so you're paying for 8 ounces of water instead of protein. Dunno really

I was sort of trying to jib the poster because I don't think NaBr makes it's way into food products as an additive. I may be wrong, as I wrote this I looked up the LD50 and it's actually pretty high for rats, rabbits and mice, but still, halogens are nasty stuff and tend to wreak havoc in biological systems.

If they do put sodium bromides in food stuffs, thats gross and a practice I would want to see stopped.

Oh, and I looked up and I think it said bromide finds it's way into chickens by way of methylbromide pesticide.

Sodium Caseinate and brine / milk mixes are popular, supposedly its to increase shelf life. Interestingly, many processed meats and other meats are deemed safe by having higher sodium contents, because the environment for pathogens to grow (aka food processing organisms like Salmonella) is more hostile. The injecting does increase texture as mentioned and volume too but there are guidelines, at least her in the EC.

Chicken's chicken. Buy whatever's on sale and freeze it individually. I don't care for the frozen stuff it's usually in a brine or broth full of sodium. I like the free range stuff but it stinks when you open the package. Perdue's more yellow because they feed it more cornmeal(useless fact).