Chicken Breast Protein - Raw vs. Cooked

Most people say around 7g protein/oz. Now, is this for raw or cooked chicken? When I buy 3.5 lbs of chicken, its about 1.5lbs cooked, so there’s a huge difference. This is such a noob question I’m afraid to ask it, but I was shocked when I started asking around.

You weigh food before you eat it.

Some sites such as fitday let you pick things like cooked vs raw. However I’ve never known anyone to measure cooked food.

1 cup of rice is universally 1 cup un cooked.

Same for 1 lb chicken. Raw weight. Ever notice when ordering a burger at a restaurant it’ll say “weight before cooking”?

Does it matter? Consistency in the way you measure is the key :wink: You can adjust from there.

that said, I personally count protein after it’s cooked, cause you know, that’s how I like to eat my meat…

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Does it matter? Consistency in the way you measure is the key :wink: You can adjust from there.

that said, I personally count protein after it’s cooked, cause you know, that’s how I like to eat my meat…[/quote]

Do you really? That’s interesting. Now you’ve just gone and debunked my never known…

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

that said, I personally count protein after it’s cooked, cause you know, that’s how I like to eat my meat…[/quote]

Do you really? That’s interesting. Now you’ve just gone and debunked my never known…[/quote]

In fairness I no longer count macros. I eat based upon visual portion size, aiming for a certain amount per meal.

[quote]chkeeley wrote:
Most people say around 7g protein/oz. Now, is this for raw or cooked chicken? [/quote]
Who the F*ck is eating raw chicken?

Estimate it which ever way you would like, it’s the consistency of what you do that is important when making calorie/macro estimations.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Some sites such as fitday let you pick things like cooked vs raw. However I’ve never known anyone to measure cooked food.

Same for 1 lb chicken. Raw weight. Ever notice when ordering a burger at a restaurant it’ll say “weight before cooking”?[/quote]

While this is true, sites like FitDay almost always include an option of “yield after cooking” which means that the weight you provide is before cooking, but the nutrients listed are the yield of that weight of food uncooked… after cooking has been completed.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]chkeeley wrote:
Most people say around 7g protein/oz. Now, is this for raw or cooked chicken? [/quote]
Who the F*ck is eating raw chicken?

Estimate it which ever way you would like, it’s the consistency of what you do that is important when making calorie/macro estimations. [/quote]

You just not hardcore enough, don’t want it enough.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Same for 1 lb chicken. Raw weight. Ever notice when ordering a burger at a restaurant it’ll say “weight before cooking”?[/quote]

i weigh cooked food on fit day.

this makes more sense to me.

cook a shit ton of breasts and throw them into one giant glass container

weigh them right before I eat them FOR DAYS

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

i weigh cooked food on fit day.

this makes more sense to me.

cook a shit ton of breasts and throw them into one giant glass container

weigh them right before I eat them FOR DAYS[/quote]

Hmm, I guess that’ll work. Thanks.

I think it is better to measure food raw. Depending on how long you cook the food the loss of water will change the weight. I have cooked a large amount of rice and after a week or two it seems the amount I weigh out per serving had doubled from all the reheating.

Unless someone is stepping on stage, even then, I think many make this stuff too complicated.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I think it is better to measure food raw. Depending on how long you cook the food the loss of water will change the weight.[/quote]
This