Chicken Breast Cooking

I need a tip on how to cook skinless chicken breast. I have tried everything; wine, spice, seasonings, salt, pepper, but nothing taste decent. If you guys could give me a tip on how to cook them, it would help out a lot.

Montreal steak spice and garlic powder.

If it used to have a tail, use montreal steak spice.

I wish I could help you out, but chicken breast is the most repulsive cut of meat ever.

The thought of having to choke down a chicken breast makes me want to hurl.

I chop it up into bite sized pieces, cook it in a pan with chopped onion and garlic. Hard boil a couple of eggs and chop them up too. Mix it in with the chicken, add a whole lot of grated cheese and a little salt and pepper. Yum!! You can also add red pepper, tomato or whatever else you have. Its so quick and IMHO tastes good.

There are a million and one marinades you can find in cookbooks - then use a Foreman’s Grill. Great everytime.

Gotta agree with gonta47. Marinade however you want over night, then slap 'em on a Foreman grill. I bought one of the big ones for Christmas (a sad self Christmas gift, I know) so I can grill 7-8 breasts in one go. It takes about 15 mins and I’ve got chicken for a week.

By the way, when marinating, it helps if you make shallow cuts on the breasts.

The chicken breasts, that is.

I eat like 4-5 chicken breasts a day…I am still not sick of it

try any of these:

Garlic powder

Salt, Pepper, and Paparika

Onions, and Mushrooms

or any combo works well together:

Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 30 mins (this will keep them moist even after putting them in the fridge, the grill works good too, but usually best if you eat it right off the grill.

Or try this recipe:

Apricot Chicken

-? bottle of any red french dressing (low fat or fat free is fine) wishbone Russian is good
-? jar of apricot or peach jam (peach is cheaper)
-1 package of dry Lipton onion soup mix
-3 T of fat free or lite mayonnaise or salad dressing any brand)
-Chicken

I double the double the french dressing and jam for extra sauce to put on rice, but not the other the other items. Mix and put over chicken. Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Yummy!!!

In a glass baking dish:

-6 boneless,skinless breasts
(coat BOTH sides in olive oil, basil (dry is OK but fresh or the paste is better), and Old Bay seasoning.
-cover in low-carb teriyaki sauce, chopped waluts, and parmesan cheese.

Bake 25min at 400 degrees.

I use this as a change of pace in my P+F meals. Of course you could skip the olive oil and walnuts and use it in your P+C meals.

I love it spicy.
Put fresh chicken breast in a baking dish. Preheat the oven to about 425. Pour 1/2 a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot over the top. Cook for 25 min. Flip them over and pour the rest on the other side. Cook until done.
It’s great to eat it just like that. Or you can cut it up and put it in a salad…delicious!

Cut into bite size chunks and saute in a little oil. when its almost done add a some of your favorite teriyaki sauce and cook for about 10 mins. more. Great by itself or over brown rice.

Chicken breast dries out easily and it’s virtually flavorless as you already know. The key to infusing flavor and moisture into bland meats like poultry is not necessarily a marinade but a brine. Here’s a great brine I use for my chicken breasts:

• 1 cup fresh squeezed OJ
  • 3 cups filtered or distilled water
  • two sprigs rosemary dipped a few seconds in boiling water (this releases the essential oils)
  • 1 Tbsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste (about 4 tablespoons of each)

Marinate about 4-5 chicken breasts in this brine for at least three hours and then grill. I used to add a little sugar or honey to this mix, but took it out for a cleaner recipe. You may need to tweak the amount of each ingredient as I usually eye my recipes when cooking.

Excellent seasonings and sauces have already been proposed in this thread; however, I?d like to mention a way to cook the breasts which keeps them moist and tender: Season them as you like, then lay them on a teflon skillet. Do not spread any oil on the skillet; it?s not necessary. Put a well-fitting lid on the skillet?this is crucial?and cook for 20 minutes over moderate heat, turning once after 10 minutes. The lid keeps the steam inside the skillet and the steam cooks the meat while keeping it moist. Typically, when you remove the lid for turning?careful with the hot steam?you will find that the meat has released a good amount of fluid and is braising in it. However, sometimes not much liquid is released and the bottom of the pan dries up and cakes and this dry coat starts to burn. In this case, pour 2-3 ounces of water into the skillet and replace the lid. After the 20 minutes have elapsed, turning off the heat does not necessarily mean that the cooking will stop; the steam will continue to work on the meat. Careful not to overcook. If you?re going to be reheating the breasts in a microwave later, you might want to undercook them just a bit so that after reheating they don?t end up all dry and rubbery. This steaming technique also works for sunny-side-up eggs, incidentally. The steam cooks the top of the egg to perfection.
Miguel

I broil mine at medium distance from the flame for about 6 minutes a side. First though, I soak them in olive oil with fresh basil or rosemary and dust with a little salt pepper and garlic. Pre heat the broiler so that the pan is sizzling hot. This will seer the bottom and lock in the juice. Flip after six minutes and set for another six. When time is up, turn off the heat and let them sit for maybe two min. or a little less. This lets them cook internaly a little. They should be done completely, but just barely, no pink.
I think Panther and I both agree that basil and or rosemary realy go great with chicken. I’ll have to give the brine a shot.

There are a million ways to cook chicken breasts! Your creativity is your only limitation. The key is to use fresh ingredients and do not overcook the chicken, or you’ll end up with a piece of cardboard. The best way I’ve found to cook it is to pan-fry on a medium-high heat, both sides for 2-3 min. each, then cover and steam until cooked, about 6 more minutes. It keeps all the juices in. Another easy tip - drizzle the bottom of your pan with extra virgin olive oil. It only adds about 1g extra fat per serving, but the flavor kick is unreal!

A few of my favorite recipes that I made up:

Tequila/Lime Chicken
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1/4-1/3c of tequila
garlic powder
juice of 1 lime
ground black pepper
Drizzle medium-high pan with olive oil. Add chicken (cut into 2-3" chunks first), then add garlic powder, cilantro, lime juice, and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes, til it begins to caramelize. Add tequila and 1/3c water to deglaze pan - scrape bits of chicken and flavoring off bottom of pan. Reduce heat to let chicken simmer. Cover with lid and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

Southwestern Chicken with Corn Salsa
Coat chicken breasts lightly with packet taco seasoning on both sides. Pan-fry in olive oil flavored spray (or olive oil). Top with Corn salsa and serve.
For corn salsa:
1 can Mexicorn, drained
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1/4c minced red onion
1/4 avocado, chopped
squirt of lime juice

Tagine-Style Chicken
1/4c Raisins
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Turmeric
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Paprika
Ground black pepper, to taste
Drizzle medium-high pan with olive oil. Add chicken (cut into 2-3" chunks first), then sprinkle with all above spices. Cook 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes, til it begins to caramelize. Deglaze pan with 1/3-1/2c water, scrape bits of chicken and flavoring off bottom of pan. Add raisins, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 5-7 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.

OK saw the mention of peach jam above and it reminded me of one of my favorite combo. Chick breast and peaches.

Two chicken breast, two peaches, cinnamon, rum extract(couple drops) poultry seasoning, 1/4 cup or so of water, and an english muffin.

Slice peaches and combine in pan with chicken breast. Sprinkle in cinnamon, poultyr seasoning and a lil salt. Add the water and rum extract. Cut the english muffin in half (or other roll, what not)and place on top of the whole shabang. Bake 30 mins at 350 and man you got some goods little sweet and spice. Add in a side of veggies and you have one hell of a P+C. If not scared of P+C+F you can add some almonds to the chiken as well for some good fats.

Oh place muffin on plate, place chickien and peaches on muffin and the water peaches and chicken juices should have made a gravy/syrup of sorts. If not just boil it down and pour on top.

There you go. One of my many favorites.

Italian dressing. Let 'em soak and grill em.

HERE IS THE END ALL SOLUTION TO RUBBERY NASTY CHICKEN BREAST.

BRINE YOUR CHICKEN!!!

I get a whole 5lb frozen bag of chicken breasts from Trader Joe’s. I put them in a large tupperware container an add 1/3 cup od kosher or sea salt and then cover with water. Put them in the fridge and do not touch them for at least 12 hours and then have at it! You can leave them in the brine for up to 4 days and cook them whenever you want. You can add other spices to the brine as you wish - you will not need to salt the chicken for cooking - trust me!

This is a great technique to use for gtrilling as well - I will grill up 12 to 15 brined breasts at a time and have them on hand. I amaze people when we grill out b/c the chicken is so moist, juicy and great tasting!

I hate chicken breat any other way - do what the FINE RESTAURANTS do and brine your chicken!!!

i think i’ve done more with chicken breasts than foghorn leghorn.

that being said, what’s worked (and tasted) best for me was marinating them overnight in my favorite spicy salsa and then throwing them on the grill.

and once you’ve had grilled chicken, you’ll never go back to cooking it any other way.

Drown it in salsa, cover and bake.

[quote]Tomfu wrote:
and once you’ve had grilled chicken, you’ll never go back to cooking it any other way.[/quote]

I agree! I grill a bag of chicken breast once a week, weigh it out and pack it into tupperware dealies. There are about a billion low/no, fat/carb sauce/marinade things out there so I just add a tbsp or two to each serving before stacking them in the fridge. Super easy to do, excellent grilled flavor (love the little charred bits here and there) and an endless variety of flavors - all stacked and ready to go!