T Nation

Chicago Violence and 'Gun Control'

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a3duFSs.mpT4

At least 47 school-age children in Chicago have been killed in homicides, mostly by guns, since the month President Barack Obama took office.

The latest youth homicide in his adopted hometown was different only in that the attackers used splintered railroad ties and were captured on video broadcast globally.

Some gun-control advocates question the administrationâ??s timing as Duncan and Holder arrive after a highly publicized beating that didnâ??t involve a gun.

The incident happened less than five miles from a church where Obama gave a sermon in July 2007 challenging the government, the gun lobby and the public to stop gun violence.

â??Our playgrounds have become battlegrounds,â?? he told a standing-room congregation. â??Our streets have become cemeteries. Our schools have become places to mourn the ones weâ??ve lost. The violence is unacceptable.â??

Obama at the time called for better enforcement of existing gun laws, tighter background checks on gun buyers and a permanent assault-weapons ban.

Full Story:

Emphasis mine on the last quoted sentence… 1 for 3 IMO. Obama still doesn’t get it. Sure, enforce existing laws. Good start. We already have very stringent background checks. Fail. Assault weapons ban? A negligent amount of crime happens with so-called “assault weapons”-- this is rhetoric and ignorance.

Yep, but he is ignorant, so it fits.

Chicago is HORRIBLE right now. A buddy of mine had a stray bullet pass through his apartment a couple of years ago, and apparently it’s only gotten worse. A lot needs to be done in Chicago, and I agree that assault weapons play only a minor role. hmmm… maybe I’ll start a thread.

Yep, there is so much to blame other than the weapons. I own a lot of guns and never have there been stray bullets flying out of them because of me. Or crimes and so on.

What pisses me off is when anybody challenges Obama about gun control they are eventually called a racist since they don’t want to save the black/minorities from this violence. The thing is that gun control has a very long history of being racist against blacks/minorities but nobody even takes the time to entertain that idea.

Yep,and that is what should be said. don’t you think black people have a right to defend themselves? Are you siding with the racist laws which prevented black gun ownership? I’d like to see him stutter through that one.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

At least 47 school-age children in Chicago have been killed in homicides, mostly by guns, since the month President Barack Obama took office.

The latest youth homicide in his adopted hometown was different only in that the attackers used splintered railroad ties and were captured on video broadcast globally.

Some gun-control advocates question the administrationâ??s timing as Duncan and Holder arrive after a highly publicized beating that didnâ??t involve a gun.

The incident happened less than five miles from a church where Obama gave a sermon in July 2007 challenging the government, the gun lobby and the public to stop gun violence. [/quote]

So instead of using guns they used railroad ties. It sounds like they have answered Obamas call for less gun violence. Maybe instead of sticking to the party line and blaming the evil guns for violence he should deal with the real problems, like people being a little too quick to take offense and not let it go or kids who live in competing drug neighborhoods being brought together in the same school.

[quote]
â??Our playgrounds have become battlegrounds,â?? he told a standing-room congregation. â??Our streets have become cemeteries. Our schools have become places to mourn the ones weâ??ve lost. The violence is unacceptable.â??

Obama at the time called for better enforcement of existing gun laws, tighter background checks on gun buyers and a permanent assault-weapons ban.

Full Story:

Emphasis mine on the last quoted sentence… 1 for 3 IMO. Obama still doesn’t get it. Sure, enforce existing laws. Good start. We already have very stringent background checks. Fail. Assault weapons ban? A negligent amount of crime happens with so-called “assault weapons”-- this is rhetoric and ignorance. [/quote]

Don’t take what he says at face value liberals love to have hidden agendas. The issue with so called assault rifles isn’t one of crime, that is just an excuse. The real issue is they are an instrument of rebellion against the government.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
SteelyD wrote:

Some gun-control advocates question the administration�¢??s timing as Duncan and Holder arrive after a highly publicized beating that didn�¢??t involve a gun.

The incident happened less than five miles from a church where Obama gave a sermon in July 2007 challenging the government, the gun lobby and the public to stop gun violence.

So instead of using guns they used railroad ties. It sounds like they have answered Obamas call for less gun violence. Maybe instead of sticking to the party line and blaming the evil guns for violence he should deal with the real problems, like people being a little too quick to take offense and not let it go or kids who live in competing drug neighborhoods being brought together in the same school.

�¢??Our playgrounds have become battlegrounds,�¢?? he told a standing-room congregation. �¢??Our streets have become cemeteries. Our schools have become places to mourn the ones we�¢??ve lost. The violence is unacceptable.�¢??

Full Story:

Emphasis mine on the last quoted sentence… 1 for 3 IMO. Obama still doesn’t get it. Sure, enforce existing laws. Good start. We already have very stringent background checks. Fail. Assault weapons ban? A negligent amount of crime happens with so-called “assault weapons”-- this is rhetoric and ignorance.

Don’t take what he says at face value liberals love to have hidden agendas. The issue with so called assault rifles isn’t one of crime, that is just an excuse. The real issue is they are an instrument of rebellion against the government. [/quote]

I see the issue with assault rifles being that they are an easy target. To someone who doesn’t know about guns, you talk about Assault Rifles and they say of course people shouldn’t have them. If they were called defence rifles they would be a harder target.

Until there are solid families again this stuff will only get worse. Years back you could buy a gun at a hardware store with no ID and the crime rates were a fraction of what they are now, especially with kids.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:

I see the issue with assault rifles being that they are an easy target. To someone who doesn’t know about guns, you talk about Assault Rifles and they say of course people shouldn’t have them. If they were called defence rifles they would be a harder target.[/quote]

This is entirely correct and I totally agree. They used to simply be called semi-automatic rifles until the headlines got dull. The really sick part is that almost every “characteristic” of the ‘assault’ rifle is cosmetic in the first place.

In 1998, Josh Sugarmann , a member of some anti gun organization came up with the term to scare people. Plain and simple. it was not based on real danger, but fear, like all of the anti gun crowd’s nonsense. they lie, pure and simple.

From what I understand, the emphasis on assault rifles is misguided. They are not more deadly than other guns, and they are not more commonly carried by criminals.

The way politics work is that an interest group’s best strategy is to focus on a single proposal. I think the “assault weapons ban” has stuck as the primary proposal of the gun control people more out of inertia and political feasibility than anything else.

Chicago has always had strict gun control, and it is not saving the kids caught by stray bullets. It’s all too close to where my family lives.

With the way crime is there is no reason to go to Chicago except for their pizza…boy do I love me some Chicago style pizza.

I really don’t see any hope for Chicago any time soon since Illinois as a whole has terribly restrictive gun laws. The citizens of the state are going to have to do a 180 in their thinking before their situation will ever get better…or leave Illinois.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
In 1998, Josh Sugarmann , a member of some anti gun organization came up with the term to scare people. Plain and simple. it was not based on real danger, but fear, like all of the anti gun crowd’s nonsense. they lie, pure and simple.[/quote]

There is plenty of BS and rhetoric on both sides of the aisle but that is just modern politics I guess.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
What pisses me off is when anybody challenges Obama about gun control they are eventually called a racist since they don’t want to save the black/minorities from this violence. The thing is that gun control has a very long history of being racist against blacks/minorities but nobody even takes the time to entertain that idea.[/quote]

Good point!!! I cant remember exactly where I read about it but I think the first gun laws were put in place by racists’ because they didnt like the idea of freed slaves being able to protect themselves from groups like the KKK.
I carry concealed just about every time I leave the house because of high crime, drugs addicts, and racist (both black and white) because I’m in an interracial marriage. I’ve gotten dirty looks from all sorts of people. In a one on one fight I can hold my own, 2 on 1 … I’m not winning any MMA matches anytime soon, and besides what if the attacker were to have a weapon???

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
tom63 wrote:
In 1998, Josh Sugarmann , a member of some anti gun organization came up with the term to scare people. Plain and simple. it was not based on real danger, but fear, like all of the anti gun crowd’s nonsense. they lie, pure and simple.

There is plenty of BS and rhetoric on both sides of the aisle but that is just modern politics I guess.[/quote]

Not really, there are very serious academic studies that disprove many of the gun control proponents statements.

Gun guys like myself have the writings of the founding fathers along with technical knowledge to refute what the anti gun people say very easily.

I’m living in Chicago… and give me a fucking pistol.

[quote]jawara wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
What pisses me off is when anybody challenges Obama about gun control they are eventually called a racist since they don’t want to save the black/minorities from this violence. The thing is that gun control has a very long history of being racist against blacks/minorities but nobody even takes the time to entertain that idea.

Good point!!! I cant remember exactly where I read about it but I think the first gun laws were put in place by racists’ because they didnt like the idea of freed slaves being able to protect themselves from groups like the KKK.
I carry concealed just about every time I leave the house because of high crime, drugs addicts, and racist (both black and white) because I’m in an interracial marriage. I’ve gotten dirty looks from all sorts of people. In a one on one fight I can hold my own, 2 on 1 … I’m not winning any MMA matches anytime soon, and besides what if the attacker were to have a weapon???[/quote]

The Republicans originally got into supporting second amendment rights just after the civil war in order to protect freedmen and republicans in the south from lynchings and reprisals by southern democrats.

Unfortunately it is a forgotten aspect of the democrats history that it was the southern deomcrats who ended the post civil war reconstruction era and imposed Jim Crow. It is sad really that the dems get any praise for ending Jim Crow in the 60’s when they are the ones imposed it.

It also should not be forgotten that the militant arm of the southern democrats was the KKK. Those two were synonamous with each other right up until the 1950’s when the KKK was kicked out of the democrats.

There are ways to lessen the fear factor of the black scary looking gun. I think my favorite is the “Hello Kitty” version of the AR15…

Here is another view. see how it doesn’t look so scary…