T Nation

Chicago Powerlifter-Friendly Gyms

I'm headed to Chicago for a long weekend that is part work, part pleasure. I need to get two sessions in while I'm there, deadlift and bench. I'll also hopefully need a place that is open relatively late on Sunday night. Any ideas? I'll be staying downtown, but will have a car.

go to powerliftingchicago.com... great website and will tell ya all the powrlifting friendly gyms in the city.

Xsport; at 4677 N Elston. It's open 24 hrs and you can bring whatever you want and train however you want (chains, bands, boards, chalk, etc..) The only problem is that you will be staying downtown.

Thanks, some great suggestions. Who knew Chicago had so many powerlifter-friendly gyms.

Isn't Quads in Chicago?

When I was there I trained at the Lakeshore Athletic club and I really liked it. The place is huge and expensive but they have a very big free weights area with a few racks and lots of plates, lots of dumbells.

Its downtown near Michigan and E Wacker.

quads is in cal-city... kinda close. thats where im planning on training next year once i get a car and my lisence...

Lance's Gym, hes a USPF competitor with a 1003 squat

EDIT: the owner's name is Lance Karabel.

Also try Monster Garage Gym, they might allow more people in but who knows

Monster garage on the north side, take the train out to aurora, walk the 2 blocks to Frantz's gym. Ernie lifts every Sat. morning at 9.

If you have a car, Jakked gym in montgomery is always fun for the strongman equipment.

Quads on the north side is a great facility with every bit of equipment ever made. Quads on the south side is very intense and has an Ed Coan, which makes up for not having hammer strength.

Monster garage on the north side, take the train out to aurora, walk the 2 blocks to Frantz's gym. Ernie lifts every Sat. morning at 9.

If you have a car, Jakked gym in montgomery is always fun for the strongman equipment.

Quads on the north side is a great facility with every bit of equipment ever made. Quads on the south side is very intense and has an Ed Coan, which makes up for not having hammer strength.

Trained at Quads on the north side twice. A little cramped with the equipment, but some great stuff. Any gym that supplies you with chalk is A-OK in my book. Had a couple of great sessions and a really enjoyable time in the city.